"If it's not the best, it's the worst." and other dangerous thoughts.

So I'm building a PC for the first time. Originally I'd planned to get a GTX 970 graphics card. Then I thought "Oh well... the GTX 980 gives a slightly better experience and it's not that much more expensive" but then I've gone and had a similar thought "Oh the GTX Titan X is only $500 or so more. I can save up for a few weeks and then I'll have the best consumer GPU money can buy."

Does anyone else have these "best or bust" feelings? How do you cope? Do you convince yourself that you really don't need it or do you give in to the temptation (4 Titan Xs in SLI!)? What examples of this have you experienced?

Also, what are some other mind-viruses to watch out for when you're building a PC?

I should also mention that one of my house-mates has warned me that after I've built mine he will try to build and even better PC because he wants the best rig in the house. So there's a competition aspect to my thinking as well.

i always want the best thing possible but then i look into my wallet and proceed on buying the best thing in my budget. I have a little bit of a superiority complex but it's a waste of time really.

Mainboard:ROG-STRIX-B360-G-GAMING/Cpu:I5 8400 /Gpu: Galax RTX 2070 /Ram: Corsair Vengeance 16 GB DDR4/ Storage:1TB HDD 2 Corsair SSD PSU : Corsair 550W/Cooling: Silverstone Air Cooler/ / Case : Corsair/Keyboard:Razer Chroma TKL/Mouse:Mionix Castor+Steelseries Qck Mass/Headphone:V Moda M100 

Quote me if you when me to reply to something. 

SNIP

All the time, I generally try and buy literally the best thing I can afford at all times, I try not to compromise and settle for less unless its seriously out of reach

That said, for example I have no use for 4x titan X in sli - my  780ti plays everything at Max (or at least very high) at 60fps .. so it does the job perfectly meaning I can use my money to support other hobbies

Eventually you DO have to settle - but I do hate compromising, really it just comes down to have much can you literally spend

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

All the time, I generally try and buy literally the best thing I can afford at all times, I try not to compromise and settle for less unless its seriously out of reach

That said, for example I have no use for 4x titan X in sli - my  780ti plays everything at Max (or at least very high) at 60fps .. so it does the job perfectly meaning I can use my money to support other hobbies

Eventually you DO have to settle - but I do hate compromising, really it just comes down to have much can you literally spend

That's the thing, though. I don't really have a "budget". I'm just saving up. I have around $1200 at the moment and my system looks like it's going to be just under $3000.

I mean what's $500 to me? A little less than a month more of saving.

That's the thing, though. I don't really have a "budget". I'm just saving up. I have around $1200 at the moment and my system looks like it's going to be just under $3000.

I mean what's $500 to me? A little less than a month more of saving.

Then just go for the best, if money is no object then just why would you settle for less

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

I buy the best things my wallet can handle

Longboarders/ skaters message me!

Look at it this way, you can buy a 295x2 for the price of a 980 and beat both the 980 and the titan x.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

I've not always been able to have the nicest stuff, having a sister and for a long time my mother having the only income in the house, but next year a few friends and I are getting a house together, I'm getting a new PC then, and buying my dream car. 

CPU: R5 5800X3D Motherboard - MSI X570 Gaming Plus RAM - 32GB Corsair DDR4 GPU - XFX 7900 XTX 4GB Case - NZXT H5 Flow (White) Storage - 2X 4TB Samsung 990 Pro PSU - Corsair RM100E Cooling - Corsair H100i Elite Capellix Keyboard Corsair K70 (Brown Switches)  Mouse - Corsair Nightsword RGB

I always try get the best performance for my needs on a certain budget / res / game.. There is no point in going better as by the time you need the extra performance there will be a cheaper way to get better... Take the 970 SLI vs 980 to 980 SLI to titan X.. 970 SLI makes sense (if it's whats needed and in budget) vs a 980.. But a 980 SLI doesn't make sense over a TitanX.. My reasoning being that a single 970 is so close to a 980 but the price difference is near double.. You could say the same about a TitanX BUT it's performance is so much better than a 980's at double the cost that the single card is worth it as you never have to worry about SLI scaling.

For the buy what you need now thing.. a 970 is plenty for 1080.. a TitanX is overkill... But some say that it's future-proofing... Not really because by the time you need the performance of a TitanX in 1080, for 99% of games at least, there will be cheaper cards that beat it..

Buy what you need for you usage in the next yr - 2 yrs then upgrade again.

I don'T PreSS caPs.. I juST Hit THe keYboARd so HarD iT CriTs :P

Quote or @dzzope to get my attention..

at the time of buying stuff get the best of each component u can afford and try to stretch ur budget as much as u can at that instant of time and u will have better rig than what u were hoping for...after that its not like u could have done anything to improve ur rig so be satisfied with that

OR

what I am gonna advice you to combat ur "Dangerous Thoughts" is that get the best stuff and leave room for improvement...such as if u were gonna get 980 sli get a Titan X instead and after few months when u have the cash get another titan X and viola u have an OP rig...same with RAM get high end 2 sticks then add 2 sticks later on...after that u can add custom loop, water cool and OC ur components to higher degree and u know keep on improving upgrading and what not...alas there are limits and dont go bankrupt :P

I settle for what my wallet can buy without compromising. I just upgrade when funds comes in. No matter if the R9 300's will be out after a few months but if I have the money today to buy something I want, I will go for it.

This mentality is exactly why I'm going X99 very soon 1-2 weeks (possibly less).

CPU: i7 5820K 4.0GHz @1.15V | MOBO: Asus X99 Sabertooth | GPU: Gigabyte Windforce GTX 980Ti, LTT Orange | CASE: NZXT H440 Black 2015 | COOLER: Noctua NH-D15S w/ LTT Fans | RAM: 32GB Patriot 3000MHz | STORAGE: 512GB Samsung 950 Pro, 960GB Sandisk Ultra II 3 x 8TB Seagate HDD's | PSU: 750W Seasonic X series, black / orange cablemod cables| Monitors: 3x Asus VX24AH's | AUDIO OUT: Microlab SOLO 8C, Sennheiser HD 650's, Audio engine D1 Amp / DAC | AUDIO IN: Blue Snowball | Keyboard: CM Storm QuickFire TK MX Green | Mouse: Logitech G900 Proteus Spectrum + RSI Extended Mouse Pad | PCPP Linkhttp://nz.pcpartpicker.com/list/hPjFd6

I'm going to play devils advocate here....

Any computer component you can buy is already outclassed by whatever is coming out of the factory.

Buy what your wallet can afford, that will do the job you want it too.

Having said that I was brought up to buy quality because you won't have to replace it in a few months time.

Basically, buy what you  want, noone here is going to give you an unbiased opinion. (I run a 5960x, and a 980 for 1080p gaming, I'm definitely not biased)

Look at what's best for you, not what's best on the market.

If you play on 1080p, why the hell do you need the titan X's?

You won't see a huge difference between the titan x and 970 in that case tbh..

Yes. I cope because I can't afford the others

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

yes, i know this feeling as well... especially when i'm looking for parts, but luckily i come to my senses when i open my wallet and rip out my debit card :P (often i just wait, i always think i'll have some more money down the line)

#killedmywife #howtomakebombs #vgamasterrace

I was like this, when i bought my first computer it was from a local store and cost me 1500, it was decent I probably got a little ripped off to be honest but it served me well enough for counter strike source. Over the years my computer has remained in a constant upgrade state. I think you will find your rig will naturally grow over time. Replacing parts at different points allow you too spend more. Right now however its a bit tougher as your trying to buy everything at once.

I honestly think anything around the 1500ish (AUD) price point and your going to have a fantastic experience in terms of performance as long as you buy from reputable brands. I love spending money on my computer and recently forked out for a new case, new fans, PSU as mine was getting loud and old, braided cords, new ssds..... basically everything bar the main components. If a person who only builds for performance sees how I spent my money they would roll over in their grave.

As you progress and get comfortable and understand more, you find your own comfort zone. I think spending 1000 dollars on a screen is nuts yet someone with a 1000 dollar screen will roll their eyes when i tell them i spend 200 dollars on fans and another 100 on braided cables. When I still have just a single 7970.

The paper stage of the build is really fun, enjoy it! I think most people start out with the best, then when the realize they do not want to spend 4000, or cant afford it then they make changes. Items move around you spend more here and less there. I can bet my left testicle what you have on paper now will be almost nothing like what you will buy.

You will have a system you love by the end of it because all the pro's and con's have been weight up in your head. What ever your budget ends up being its going to be kick ass for that price point.... Just have fun bro.

I can bet my left testicle what you have on paper now will be almost nothing like what you will buy.

Well, the realisation that the case I really want doesn't have a side panel window certainly meant I was spending less on LEDs. lol

Don't try to fight the urge, it only gets worse. Two years ago I had an FX-8350, HD 7870GHz, a 970 motherboard and a 212 EVO. My plans were a second HD 7870 GHz, new power supply, more RAM, and maybe an SSD.

Now I have an i7-4790k, a GTX 970, an MSI Z97 PC Mate (soon to be Krait SLI), and be quiet! Dark Rock 3. My current plan is to focus on getting new monitors, a second 970, and the Krait SLI. I'm also talking to a guy about buying 8-10 SSDs, because yolo.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

Don't try to fight the urge, it only gets worse. Two years ago I had an FX-8350, HD 7870GHz, a 970 motherboard and a 212 EVO. My plans were a second HD 7870 GHz, new power supply, more RAM, and maybe an SSD.

Now I have an i7-4790k, a GTX 970, an MSI Z97 PC Mate (soon to be Krait SLI), and be quiet! Dark Rock 3. My current plan is to focus on getting new monitors, a second 970, and the Krait SLI. I'm also talking to a guy about buying 8-10 SSDs, because yolo.

Thats another good point, when i first started I thought spending 200 dollars on a graphics card was expensive, now I drop 500 no problem. I think over time it slowly climbs lol.

I always follow the 90/10 rule personally, in that the first 90% takes 10% of the effort, while the last 10% takes 90% of the effort. This rule is true for most aspects of life, and it's why I have a couple R9 290's. For the price of a single 780, I was able to get twice the performance of a 780 (almost) with more frame buffer and 6 free games. Trying to go for 100% in an industry that is improving constantly is just silly, especially if the increased price makes no sense. The feeling you get when you imagine having the best will disappear once you have it, while the feeling you get when you are being  smart with your money doesn't disappear after you make a purchase. 

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

Thats another good point, when i first started I thought spending 200 dollars on a graphics card was expensive, now I drop 500 no problem. I think over time it slowly climbs lol.

My original "limit" was $200 for a single GPU at a time, but when the GTX 770's price dropped with the R9 280X, I decided it was $350. Then I realized that EVGA had refurbished 780s for over $100 off, so I decided what's a budget.

My original goal was a gaming computer, now I just have a computer that just so happens to be capable of gaming lol. I'm an enthusiast first, gamer second.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

My original goal was a gaming computer, now I just have a computer that just so happens to be capable of gaming lol. I'm an enthusiast first, gamer second.

Couldn't of said it better.

I say get the best you can ONLY IF YOU HAVE THE MONEY TO

The weird kid in the corner eating glue
“People think that I must be a very strange person. This is not correct. I have the heart of a small boy. It is in a glass jar on my desk.” - Stephen King