AMD FX-9590 @5GHZ vs FX 8370 OC

I'm going to be comparing soon, considering the Xeon is the equivalent of a QX9775 (apart from the lower FSB speed of course) I should see some nice results.

unless you can push it upward of 4.5ghz you still won't get that great of results in games...IPC back then was nothing when compaired to even sandy-bridge.

But anyways...his black flag graph (if that's what it is...i highly doubt it to be honest) is not that bad, it's not a huge CPU limitation now of course he run at 5ghz pulling 300W from the wall socket with his behemoth of a CPU but still it almost manage to pull it off, but his BF4 graph is way worst than i thought it would be...(that's why i think the ''black flag'' graph is more in line with what you would see running a GPU benchmark or something like that i think)

But this user is playing mostly battelefield 4 and he play it accross 3x 1080p display so his SLI setup should be maxed out in such conditions and he should get acceptable performance even though clearly the CPU is limiting his GPU's performance.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

dont know why his bf4 is like that

mantle should smoke most benchmarks compaired to anything normal

lol nm edit

he runs nvidia

dont know why his bf4 is like that

mantle should smoke most benchmarks compaired to anything normal

maybe he didnt used mantle because he run nvidia GPU's and can't use it?! ;)

but if he tried playing BF4 at 1920x1080 with GTX 780ti SLI...yeah of course that's a lot of GPU horsepower...i'm not even sure my 4.2ghz 4770K would be able to max them out at all time at such low resolution.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

unless you can push it upward of 4.5ghz you still won't get that great of results in games...IPC back then was nothing when compaired to even sandy-bridge.

But anyways...his black flag graph (if that's what it is...i highly doubt it to be honest) is not that bad, it's not a huge CPU limitation now of course he run at 5ghz pulling 300W from the wall socket with his behemoth of a CPU but still it almost manage to pull it off, but his BF4 graph is way worst than i thought it would be...(that's why i think the ''black flag'' graph is more in line with what you would see running a GPU benchmark or something like that i think)

But this user is playing mostly battelefield 4 and he play it accross 3x 1080p display so his SLI setup should be maxed out in such conditions and he should get acceptable performance even though clearly the CPU is limiting his GPU's performance.

4.5GHz is what I hypothesised as the OC needed for it to match my i5 4440 (my E8500 needed 4.4GHz to match it single threaded).

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

4.5GHz is what I hypothesised as the OC needed for it to match my i5 4440 (my E8500 needed 4.4GHz to match it single threaded).

might makes sense...i don't know...good luck with that anyways!

Note how the resolution isn't mentioned.

PMSL

AMD FX-8350 powering GTX 780 SLI vs GTX 980 SLI at 2560x1440

at the very top

1440p is 70% more pixels than 1080p...how do you think this would affect GPU usage and GPU performance huh?!

ALSO...NONE of the games tested or syntetic benchmarks in there are any cpu intensive AT ALL...this is just GPU benchmarking...irrelevant for CPU comparaison.

EDIT: ALSO a BIG LOL as this is clearly stupid irrelevant stuff made so that AMD can sell some more of their shitty CPU's...here:

http://www.tweaktown.com/tweakipedia/55/amd-fx-8350-powering-gtx-780-sli-vs-gtx-980-sli-at-2560x1440/index.html

Let's break it down to price: the AMD FX-8350 CPU and GIGABYTE 990FXA-UD3 motherboard are $179.99 and $139.60, respectively. This is a total of $319.59.

Comparing this to the Intel setup, where the Core i7-4930K chip and ASUS Rampage IV Black Edition are $578.99 and $473.99, respectively. This is a total of $1052.98.

So, the AMD setup is $319 and the Intel setup is $1052 - this makes the Intel setup 329% more expensive. Yes, over 300% more expensive. For 300% more cost, we're not getting more than around 10-20% more performance. This is where you really have to think about the money you're spending. Sure, you might not have gone for two GeForce GTX 980s in SLI, and opted for the Intel processor, spending an additional $600+ on the Intel setup. But why?

This is clearly rediculous as they fail to mention that an i5-4440 (170$) on a cheap B85 motherboard (50$)  will completely anihilate that AMD FX dinausor at ANY game that is any CPU intensive at all...they should be BANNED from the internet FOREVER for publishing such STUPID stuff.

Edited by i_build_nanosuits

wasnt the point was just making more of a point that gpu's would nto be bottlenecked by a cpu which i swear half the people on the forums think here lol

so many people here throw arround the word botteneck like its 1995 lol

wasnt the point was just making more of a point that gpu's would nto be bottlenecked by a cpu which i swear half the people on the forums think here lol

please do me a favor and MONITOR YOUR GPU USAGE % while playing your favorite games.

lol i do 

100 percent not goin through all that again to prove it 

scrolll way back

wow clap clap!!  :huh:  you provided 4 screenshots at which point the GPU was being maxed out...but is it consistently maxed out? in most games? with no framerate drops in the 30 to 40FPS range?! i HIGHLY doubt it...WHY?! BECAUSE I OWNED THAT CHIP AND I KNOW VERY WELL WHAT IT CAN AND CANNOT DO!!!

The Fact that even at 1440p in NON CPU INTENSIVE SITUATIONS the FX chip still limit the performance of the GPU as proven in your rediculous arcticle that you've linked...you call that what you want...but it's still a CPU limitation...now render CPU intensive online games at 1080p with a powerful GPU such as the R9 290X or GTX 780ti or any other and look that powerful GPU dip in the 35-40ish FPS all the time. (which you guessed it won't happen with a proper CPU...how do i know this: BECAUSE I DO OWN A PROPER CPU NOW AND I CAN FULLY GRASP HOW WEAK THE FX LINE OF CPU REALLY IS WHEN IT COMES TO GAMING!!

i only play at 1080p

i dont get dips to 35-40

my old phenom maybe

but gta is like 60-80 if i turn off vsync

generally i play with it on cuz i use a tv 

all my games run like that i have pretty much downloaded everything i can get my hands on

If you're buying the machine for gaming, you want good single-threaded performance.  Unfortunately AMD can't compete there; an 4690K or 4790K will demolish anything in the FX line by ~40% in single-threaded performance.  An AM3+ is not a good choice for gaming at this point. 

Xeon E3-1241 @3.9GHz, 1.07V | Asus Z97-E/USB 3.1 | G.Skill Ripjaws X 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3-1600 | MSI RX 480 Gaming X 4GB @1350MHz/2150MHz, 1.09V/.975V | Crucial MX100 256GB | WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM | EVGA 750W G2 80+ Gold | CM Hyper 212+ w/ Noctua F12 | Phanteks Enthoo Pro M | Windows 10 Retail

Post purchase rationalization?

My Celeron 300A running on a 100MHZ FSB doesn't bottleneck any of the hardware from the period. You've got no idea what your talking about.

PMSL

Yeah....I think he's got a large dose of that since he's ignoring another user who's had experience with pretty much the same CPU that's being discussed.

PMSL

Why can't someone just say "Hey, I like AMD and that's why I'll buy their product." instead of trying to rationalize how "good" their FX line is. We all know that for gaming you'll be better off with Intel yet we still argue as if it's debatable. It's not.

Potato

Why can't someone just say "Hey, I like AMD and that's why I'll buy their product." instead of trying to rationalize how "good" their FX line is. We all know that for gaming you'll be better off with Intel yet we still argue as if it's debatable. It's not.

What's debatable is which of AMD"s CPU's was truly great. Becuase AMD knew at launch that their FX line would be weak. (Intel dropped their earlier version due to its low IPC-Pentium 4's overclocked really well, but their performance sucked).

PMSL

Yes we all know Intel is better!

we are just saying that by our personal experience dispite everything that is said in the foruns the FX line (fx-63xx,FX-83xx, and FX-9xxx) are also solid options for gaming, we never claim that they are better than the corrent intel cpus.

Yes we all know Intel is better!

we are just saying that by our personal experience dispite everything that is said in the foruns the FX line (fx-63xx,FX-83xx, and FX-9xxx) are also a solid option for gaming, we never claim that they are better than the corrent intel cpus.

Solid would be stable FPS. You don't get that with an FX series CPU.

PMSL

Solid would be stable FPS. You don't getthat with an FX series CPU

i just say, that my experience is diferent, and i always have the aftreburner OSD turn on with the GPU load and FPS ON, and the ony game that im not above at least 97% is LOL!

and i play skyrim (but heavly moded), crysis, COD, AS, bioshock; Shadow of Mordor etc,etc etc....

i just say, that my experience is diferent, and i always have the aftreburner OSD turn on with the GPU load and FPS ON, and the ony game that im not above at least 97% is LOL!

and i play skyrim (but heavly moded), crysis, COD, AS, bioshock; Shadow of Mordor etc,etc etc....

What's the resolution. If its really high that's is what allows your GPU to ee proper utilization.

PMSL

I'm planning a build. I have these 2 CPU in mind which I may use. The cooler I will be using is the rajintek triton. Since I wil be mostly gaming, I have decided to go with AMD. Do tell me which one is better. Thx!

The AMD FX CPUs are server CPUs and don't handle games very well, hence all the cores (good for servers) get an Intel I5 4690k! It's the "standard" high end gaming CPU

Nude Fist 1: i5-4590-ASRock h97 Anniversary-16gb Samsung 1333mhz-MSI GTX 970-Corsair 300r-Seagate HDD(s)-EVGA SuperNOVA 750b2

Name comes from anagramed sticker for "TUF Inside" (A sticker that came with my original ASUS motherboard)