Newly installed i7 4790k not allowing boot up!

Hi all new to the forums and I come with trouble. I just got a new i7 4790k delivered earlier today, I have since spent my while day trying to get my PC to recognise it but to no avail. I have had no trouble with past processors but it seems my new one is a dead one? 

My specs are:

Asus h87 pro mobo

Intel i7 4790k (previously installed i5 4690k)

2 x4gb G-SKILL Ram

Gigabyte 770 Windforce

Corsair H100i Cooling

Corsair 750w psu

2 WD 1TB hard drives

This is my work computer and I have never had any issues with it until now. I do some light gaming on my breaks but I only really use it for Concept work and 3D Modelling.

I had checked to see was my Mobo compatible with the new CPU and it is I'm wondering did I just receive a faulty i7 or is it to do with my hardware? 

If anyone else has had this issue and solved it I would appreciate the help very much or let me know if you are currently suffering with this problem.

Regards, 

John.

~Batman

Have done that still noting after I did it. 

~Batman

Your motherboard needs a BIOS update first :/

Do you really need to do that? I didn't. 

Have you tried a different CPU on that motherboard since you installed the new one? Have you tried that chip on a different motherboard? This might seem simple, but is your power on... Double and triple check it, flip the switch the other way and test it too, make sure it's plugged in. Make sure the CPU and motherboard have power. 

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600 Motherboard: MSI B550 Tomahawk RAM: 32Gb DDR4  GPU(s): MSI 6800-XT Case: NZXT H440 Storage: 4x 250gb SSD + 2TB HDD PSU: Corsair RM850x with CableMod Displays: 1 x Asus ROG Swift And 3 x 24" 1080p Cooling: H100i Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB Mouse: Corsair M65 RGB Sound: AKG 553 Operating System: Windows 10

Current PC: 

http://i.imgur.com/ubYSO3f.jpg          http://i.imgur.com/xhpDcqd.jpg

Do you really need to do that? I didn't. 

Have you tried a different CPU on that motherboard since you installed the new one? Have you tried that chip on a different motherboard? This might seem simple, but is your power on... Double and triple check it, flip the switch the other way and test it too, make sure it's plugged in. Make sure the CPU and motherboard have power. 

He's using Haswell Refresh. 4770k is just Haswell and won't need a BIOS Update but the 4790k will on H87 or Z87 chipsets :)

EDIT: Just re read OP, you say you had your 4690k working in it? Have you already updated BIOS?

EDIT 2: Just saw post, sorry i'm out of ideas.

He's using Haswell Refresh. 4770k is just Haswell and won't need a BIOS Update but the 4790k will on H87 or Z87 chipsets :)

Oh ok. The more you know. I should do one anyway though....

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600 Motherboard: MSI B550 Tomahawk RAM: 32Gb DDR4  GPU(s): MSI 6800-XT Case: NZXT H440 Storage: 4x 250gb SSD + 2TB HDD PSU: Corsair RM850x with CableMod Displays: 1 x Asus ROG Swift And 3 x 24" 1080p Cooling: H100i Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB Mouse: Corsair M65 RGB Sound: AKG 553 Operating System: Windows 10

Current PC: 

I have put back in the old i5 and that boots instantly and without fault so I switched back to the i7 so I check the i5 again and again it worked?? Haha yep I made sure it was powered on, first rule in the book.  :P

~Batman

EDIT: Just re read OP, you say you had your 4690k working in it? Have you already updated BIOS?

EDIT 2: Just saw post, sorry i'm out of ideas.

Yeah i5 works grand so I think i got a faulty chip? Ah no worries thanks for the help man  :)

~Batman

I have put back in the old i5 and that boots instantly and without fault so I switched back to the i7 so I check the i5 again and again it worked?? Haha yep I made sure it was powered on, first rule in the book.  :P

Hmm. How did you update the BIOS? On a disc or download it to a USB from the drivers site and do it like that? Make sure you quote people or we wont see the response!

Current PC: 

Oh ok that's weird.

Don't forget to quote people or we don't know that you've replied to us :)

Oh ok that's weird.

Don't forget to quote people or we don't know that you've replied to us :)

Hmm. How did you update the BIOS? On a disc or download it to a USB from the drivers site and do it like that? Make sure you quote people or we wont see the response!

Haha thanks for that brand new to this.  :D

I did it trough USB. I had trouble for a bit so I thought maybe if I updated the motherboard with the driver for the i5 and then the driver for the i7 it would accept it and I was right the update did go trough. So I then put back in the i7 and switched the PC back on but it still wouldn't boot  :(.

~Batman

@BatmanBurton

Do you know anybody that has a 1150 mobo you could try. If it boots in theirs, then it's something else. You can also try to reflash the bios in case something went wrong.

I do I will ask them can I try it in their rig. I will reflash the bios also and let you know how it went. Thanks for the ideas.

~Batman

I did it trough USB. I had trouble for a bit so I thought maybe if I updated the motherboard with the driver for the i5 and then the driver for the i7 it would accept it and I was right the update did go trough. So I then put back in the i7 and switched the PC back on but it still wouldn't boot  :(.

i5 drivers are completely different sometimes, especially if you're going from something like the 35xx to a devils canyon. Try what @nicon said.

Current PC: 

i5 drivers are completely different sometimes, especially if you're going from something like the 35xx to a devils canyon. Try what @nicon said.

I installed not only the i5 driver but the i7 one too what I meant was I thought that if I installed the i5 driver that it would allow me to the install the i7 one because I could not beforehand and I was right it did install. But as nixon was saying maybe it didn't install correctly.  :huh:

~Batman

Drivers aren't the issue if the thing refuses to boot to BIOS. They would be problem if it wouldn't boot into windows. Plus drivers are more issue when changing mobo, not CPU.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Reset CMOS either with the switch/jumper if your board has it, or by pulling the battery out of the MOBO for ~10s. This is with the i7 installed.

Then try turning it on.

LanSyndicate Build | i5-6600k | ASRock OC Formula | G.Skill 3600MHz | Samsung 850 Evo | MSI R9-290X 8GB Alphacool Block | Enthoo Pro M | XTR Pro 750w | Custom Loop |

Daily | 5960X | X99 Sabertooth | G.Skill 3000MHz | 750 NVMe | 850 Evo | x2 WD Se 2TB | x2 Seagate 3TB | Sapphire R9-290X 8GB | Enthoo Primo | EVGA 1000G2 | Custom Loop |

Game Box | 4690K | Z97i-Plus | G.Skill 2400MHz | x2 840 Evo | GTX 970 shorty | Corsair 250D modded with H105 | EVGA 650w B2 |

Reset CMOS either with the switch/jumper if your board has it, or by pulling the battery out of the MOBO for ~10s. This is with the i7 installed.

Then try turning it on.

Going to try this now will let you know.

~Batman

There could be bent pins,have you checked for those ?

There could be bent pins,have you checked for those ?

Then try turning it on.

runit3 I have followed what you have suggested and no luck :(

Metallica I have checked for bent pins and they are fine.

I have a feeling I just got a faulty i7 <_< :huh:

~Batman