What to do with this old "warhorse"

Hello everyone, it's my first time posting here so i'll be quick... my old pc my dad bought for me almost a decade ago is starting to show it's age. i'm on the fence whether to buy GTA 5 or not since my pc is so old. So rather than blow a lot of money, i decided to ask you guys on what to do with this old beaut that's been with me for around 7 years.

...oh, and btw my dad suggested that i should change the motherboard and the CPU along, is this a good idea or not?

Here's the specs

Motherboard : Abit IP35 Pro

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E6550

VGA: Digital Alliance GTX 750 2gb 128bit

RAM: 4 x 1GB ram

so what should i do guys?... since this is my first time posting in like.. ever, i'd like some feedback in how i wrote this thread/topic/whatever you guys call this

Answers much appreciated 

-snip-

The CPU is not that amazing anymore, the RAM is probably DDR2 so needs to be replaced when you buy a new mobo+CPU.

The GPU is alright. Maybe you want to change it too, but it can still work.

It kinda depends on your budget.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

The CPU is not that amazing anymore, the RAM is probably DDR2 so needs to be replaced when you buy a new mobo+CPU.

The GPU is alright. Maybe you want to change it too, but it can still work.

It kinda depends on your budget.

well i've set my sights one the Intel i3 4160 3.6 GHZ and the MSI H97 PC mate Mobo. How long do you think those two will last seeing as games are evolving very fast? or maybe you got a better suggestion as i'd like to keep my budget under $200

GTAV needs 4 cores IIRC.. If your getting a new motherboard and cpu, you will need new ram and I would suggest a new PSU too...

Better off just selling it as an entry level gaming rig to someone locally and starting fresh IMO.

From there add your budget together and try pick up something decent second hand.. a 2500 or similar i5 rig would suit you perfectly.

You want in general terms, 4 cores, 8GB ram, an SSD (120 / 240GB min depending on budget) and as big a GPU as you can get your hands on... GPU is REALLY worth going used on.. very large savings to be made as they are upgraded much more often than any other component.

I don'T PreSS caPs.. I juST Hit THe keYboARd so HarD iT CriTs :P

Quote or @dzzope to get my attention..

Topic is written 1st class in comparison with others i've seen

well i've set my sights one the Intel i3 4160 3.6 GHZ and the MSI H97 PC mate Mobo. How long do you think those two will last seeing as games are evolving very fast? or maybe you got a better suggestion as i'd like to keep my budget under $200

What PSU do you have? And do you know what kind of RAM it is?

That sounds like a good upgrade, but I kind of need to know those things.

GTAV needs 4 cores IIRC.. If your getting a new motherboard and cpu, you will need new ram and I would suggest a new PSU too...

Better off just selling it as an entry level gaming rig to someone locally and starting fresh IMO.

From there add your budget together and try pick up something decent second hand.. a 2500 or similar i5 rig would suit you perfectly.

You want in general terms, 4 cores, 8GB ram, an SSD (120 / 240GB min depending on budget) and as big a GPU as you can get your hands on... GPU is REALLY worth going used on.. very large savings to be made as they are upgraded much more often than any other component.

^This is some good advice too.

But GTA V can run on dual cores and dual with hyperthreading (<- what that i3 CPU is)

From the LTT GTA V benchmark video

YpkytiA.jpg

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

the i3 would be a nice upgrade, be aware that you cannot use your old ram so you'd have to get some ddr3 ram 4 gigs minimum 8gb preferred.

personally i'd upgrade the gpu as well, but it will still do okay for a while

#killedmywife #howtomakebombs #vgamasterrace

Your budget is really tight, given that you are going to need a new motherboard, CPU, and memory, most likely you will also be looking at a new power supply, chassis, and operating system (assuming you haven't upgraded recently.)  About the only thing you have that will transfer, even temporarily is that graphics card.

Do some browsing on this list

http://pcpartpicker.com/guide/

With special attention to the Entry Level and Modest Gaming builds.

My advice, if your current system is not DOA, would be to wait a but longer, save up a bigger budget, plan your build as well as possible, and do not skimp on things like the power supply, and chassis - bought well those are the kinds of items that can easily transfer from one build to the next, or make upgrading better/easier.