Help with Display driver failed and recovered Far Cry 4

techenthused73

Tonight had recurring issue with Far Cry 4 crashing to desktop with music playing and a resulting Display driver has failed and recovered in Event viewer see attached pictures. 

Is this far cry 4 or is my new Titan X having problems.  I've uninstalled and re-installed the driver doing a clean install option. I'll be trying other games tomorrow.

post-82607-0-74333100-1429577881_thumb.p

post-82607-0-24194100-1429577894_thumb.p

CPU i7 4790 | Motherboard  ASUS Z97 Maximus Hero VII | RAM 16 GB Trident X @ 2400 Mhz | GPU Titan X | Case NZXT Phantom 530 | Storage Samsung EVO 840 1 TB SSD, 2 Seagate 150 GB HDD, 1 External 3 GB Seagate HDD | PSU Corsair HX 1050 | Cooling Zalman Copper 2 ball | Keyboard  Logitech G710+ | Mouse Logitech G502 | Sound: Creative Z | Operating System  Windows 10

Are you overclocking the Titan/running it overclocked?

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Are you overclocking the Titan/running it overclocked?

Hi,

No overclocking.

CPU i7 4790 | Motherboard  ASUS Z97 Maximus Hero VII | RAM 16 GB Trident X @ 2400 Mhz | GPU Titan X | Case NZXT Phantom 530 | Storage Samsung EVO 840 1 TB SSD, 2 Seagate 150 GB HDD, 1 External 3 GB Seagate HDD | PSU Corsair HX 1050 | Cooling Zalman Copper 2 ball | Keyboard  Logitech G710+ | Mouse Logitech G502 | Sound: Creative Z | Operating System  Windows 10

check your power connections

so your PSU is the newest Corsair HX series?

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

check your power connections

so your PSU is the newest Corsair HX series?

Hi,

Yes I have an Corsair HX 1050 .  Just ran the Uniengine Heaven benchmark for 40 minutes without a crash.

Hi,

Yes I have an Corsair HX 1050 .  Just ran the Uniengine Heaven benchmark for 40 minutes without a crash.

if you OCed

revert back to stocks

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

if you OCed

revert back to stocks

No overclocks on card.

No overclocks on card.

does it still crash?

how about testing on another PC the GPU to rule out your own PC's hardware issues

does it still crash?

how about testing on another PC the GPU to rule out your own PC's hardware issues

I wish I had other PC's but I don't.  I have an emergency laptop if needed.

I found this thread.  Apparently FC4 is a buggy mess.  It won't even get to the continue screen with Precision X running.  Ubisoft support told me I could not run any screen overlays such as steam in game etc.  While it is running I can run shadow play though. Ubisoft I will let people know here that despite the hate on the company I have found their support system to be very responsive.

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/825878/geforce-drivers/far-cry-4-random-display-driver-stopped-responding-and-has-recovered/4/

The OP who started the thread solved the issue by replacing his memory.  However he had TDR's in GTA V and I am not.  The thread has several posts from other people with the issue who have no issues with their hardware.

The only thing I might test is my RAM with memtest but mostly in the past if there was a problem with the RAM then I'd have a system freeze all together.  This is a new machine built approximately a year ago.   Update: Tested memory this morning with Memtest86 and saw no errors.

And I am going to try a few of the suggested things they did to get it working tomorrow.  I have had no TDR's in any other game or benchmark.  For a new game GTA V is running great and with the TX never drops below 58 FPS on 1080p.  Yes I know a waste on 1080p but am looking towards 1440p or 3440x1440p with the upcoming Acer g-sync displays.

Edited by techenthused73

Finally solved it today.   Was not a problem with the nvidia driver as I had previously thought.

For those who are looking also.

I was mistaken about what was causing the crashes and TDR's in Far Cry 4. It turns out it was an issue that came up with the latest FC4 patch 1.10 . I checked when the driver was released vs when I bought the game. on the first day of play with 350.12 no problems. Then I checked when the FC4 patch was released. The day of the patch I started having the freeze within 30 minutes. Other people have said that soft shadow's , god rays, and other aa were the culprit.

Nope. I read on a post on the steam forums that the solution is to delete the GamerProfile.xml file in C:/documents/mygames/far cry 4/numbers.. and then start the game and let it recreate that file. I tried that solution today and no freezes or errors in Event Viewer.

Just wanted to pass this along. Also playing with a Titan X I have all the Nvidia bells and whistles turned on with no problem. A fantastic looking game.

• 4 weeks later...

Finally solved it today.   Was not a problem with the nvidia driver as I had previously thought.

For those who are looking also.

I was mistaken about what was causing the crashes and TDR's in Far Cry 4. It turns out it was an issue that came up with the latest FC4 patch 1.10 . I checked when the driver was released vs when I bought the game. on the first day of play with 350.12 no problems. Then I checked when the FC4 patch was released. The day of the patch I started having the freeze within 30 minutes. Other people have said that soft shadow's , god rays, and other aa were the culprit.

Nope. I read on a post on the steam forums that the solution is to delete the GamerProfile.xml file in C:/documents/mygames/far cry 4/numbers.. and then start the game and let it recreate that file. I tried that solution today and no freezes or errors in Event Viewer.

Just wanted to pass this along. Also playing with a Titan X I have all the Nvidia bells and whistles turned on with no problem. A fantastic looking game.

Hello. Its me. I create that topic here on gf:

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/825878/geforce-drivers/far-cry-4-random-display-driver-stopped-responding-and-has-recovered/4/

Thats true i change my memory. But finally thats nothing helped.After 5 days i get TDR errors back. So all of my hope that was ram issue is gone. Now with new ram the same TDR crashing.

Card is Asus Strix 980 and my previous rams was 2x4gb corsair vengeance 1333mhz , new ram are Kingston Hyperx 2x4gb 1600mhz 1.5v.

And i am using ultra details + NVIDIA GAMEWORS all on ( soft shadows, godrays, fur, txaa ). Did you resolve your TDR driver crashing with your Titan x? Maybe you can help me? I have Asus Strix 980 OC factory.

Only by turning off all the Nvidia gameworks settings and using the FC4 Ultra preset.  No trees or fur.