How do I disable windows shortcut keys?

sil130

So I basically got my computer back and its now running on windows 8.1 . The problem is when i play Dota 2, some of my hotkeys cant be recognized on dota 2 cause its the same hotkey from windows. Whenever I try Alt + E, it automatically goes out and open the snipping tool or whatever it is. Same with ALT + Q,S,R. What ever i try it wont get recognized in dota 2. I think if i can disable these hotkeys on windows i can fix the problem but i dont know how. Anyone knows?

If you are happy enough faffing sbout in the registry

From http://superuser.com/questions/683274/how-to-disable-windows-s-shortcut-in-windows-8-1

Do it manually by opening the registry going to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced then create a new string value key, name it DisabledHotkeys, right click on it, Modify, add any hotkey you wish to disable c, v, x etc in value Data.

No blame attaches etc.

You break it you have to reinstall etc.

Please please please make sure you have backed up before editing the registry, in fact back up all the time.

You could use Group policy editor but I have the feeling you won't have the pro edition of 8.1

Two motoes to live by   "Sometimes there are no shortcuts"

"This too shall pass"

Alt+E should not start Snipping Tool.

In fact Windows has no key combination to start Snipping Tool.

All Windows keyboard shortcuts are with the Windows key itself.

It is you that setup a program or configured Windows to start these programs with the key combination you set.

On re-reading you talk of alt +  not Winkey +   , you sure it's windows hotkeys that are the problem

"This too shall pass"

If you are happy enough faffing sbout in the registry

From http://superuser.com/questions/683274/how-to-disable-windows-s-shortcut-in-windows-8-1

Do it manually by opening the registry going to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced then create a new string value key, name it DisabledHotkeys, right click on it, Modify, add any hotkey you wish to disable c, v, x etc in value Data.

No blame attaches etc.

You break it you have to reinstall etc.

Please please please make sure you have backed up before editing the registry, in fact back up all the time.

You could use Group policy editor but I have the feeling you won't have the pro edition of 8.1

Do I only put c,v,x etc or ill put Alt + on it? Sorry im kinda new to these things.

Alt+E should not start Snipping Tool.

In fact Windows has no key combination to start Snipping Tool.

All Windows keyboard shortcuts are with the Windows key itself.

It is you that setup a program or configured Windows to start these programs with the key combination you set.

Im pretty sure its windows causing it and not any programs. And yes whenever I try Alt + S, it opens start menu 8 settings. And ALT + R opens run.

Do I only put c,v,x etc or ill put Alt + on it? Sorry im kinda new to these things.

Letters only, separated by commas ie    c, v, x etc

Maybe if you're that new you shouldn't faff with the registry .

However (IMHO) the registry is not as scary as some make out, as long as you are prepared for nothing to work after, meaning a full reinstall put in info you have backed up etc.

Making a mistake while faffing with the registry will only (at most) mean you have to reinstall it will not brick your system.

"This too shall pass"

Im pretty sure its windows causing it and not any programs. And yes whenever I try Alt + S, it opens start menu 8 settings. And ALT + R opens run.

I am more than 100% sure that it is not Windows. :)

You have a program that does this. I don't know what "start menu 8" is, but if it one of those Start Menu replacement programs, then perhaps that is your problem, especially that Alt+S opens the program settings panel, which should suggest that they come from there.

But if you want to break your Windows, and cause software shortcut keys to not work, be my guess.

I am more than 100% sure that it is not Windows. :)

You have a program that does this. I don't know what "start menu 8" is, but if it one of those Start Menu replacement programs, then perhaps that is your problem, especially that Alt+S opens the program settings panel, which should suggest that they come from there.

But if you want to break your Windows, and cause software shortcut keys to not work, be my guess.

Thank god u helped me :D yeah it was the start menu 8 program thats causing it. Already uninstalled it. Thanks!

Letters only, separated by commas ie    c, v, x etc

Maybe if you're that new you shouldn't faff with the registry .

However (IMHO) the registry is not as scary as some make out, as long as you are prepared for nothing to work after, meaning a full reinstall put in info you have backed up etc.

Making a mistake while faffing with the registry will only (at most) mean you have to reinstall it will not brick your system.

fixed it already. Thanks!

fixed it already. Thanks!

NP.

To be honest the bit with you saying ALT + rather than Winkey + made me question if it was a Windows hotkey problem.

Glad you got it sorted.

"This too shall pass"