Titan X or two 980s?

STRMfrmXMN

if you have more than one monitor then go for titan but i think 4k monitor is kind not there right now with the 60 mhz. if you running one monitor then go for 2 980. this is my options but people have their own opinion

Read the OP. You sandwich (If you read the OP you'd get that). 

If any game does not support SLI, it's most likely out-dated and doesn't need it anyways.  The whole "doesn't support SLI" thing is pretty stupid IMHO.  Any big popular AAA title is going to support it, and that's 90% of what people usually play with high end expensive rigs.

1 higher end card is always better than sli-ing 2 lesser cards.  get the titan x now and throw in another one when u have the money.

ITS A RENDERING SYSTEM DAMMIT

IF I TOOK OUT THE SLI BRDGE IT WOULD MAKE 0 DIFFRENCE

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

If any game does not support SLI, it's most likely out-dated and doesn't need it anyways.  The whole "doesn't support SLI" thing is pretty stupid IMHO.  Any big popular AAA title is going to support it, and that's 90% of what people usually play with high end expensive rigs.

What if an... unintelligent person uses one of our systems and can't figure out why his render times doubled because of Nvidia updates?

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

It's actually quite a big hit in performance, like 15-25%..

In real world it's like 10-15% (which is small or huge, depends on the person). If this build is pure enthusiast (which I'm guessing it's not because OP is worried about the customer not enabling SLI), then 2 980s is in order, otherwise 1 Titan X will suffice.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K @ 4.6 GHz

Motherboard: Asus ROG Maximus VII Hero

RAM: Corsair Vengeance 32 GB @ 1903 MHz

GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX Titan X @ 1100 / 7030 MHz
Case: Corsair Obsidian 750D with the Ghetto LED 5000 lighting kit
Storage: 1TB Samsung 840 EVO
PSU: Corsair AX1200i
Display: Dell P2415Q
Cooling: Corsair H100i
Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K95 RGB (Cherry MX Reds)
Mouse: Sharkk MMO Pro

Spoiler
Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550
Gigabyte GA-G41MT-S2PT
Arctic Freezer 7 Pro Rev 2
G.Skill Value 8 GB (1333 MHz)
Cooler Master N200
Seagate Barracuda 1 TB
Insignia 300W
Windows 7 Enterprise

Spoiler
Intel Core i3 3240
Asus P8Z77-V LX
4790K stock cooler with Cooler Master HTK-002 thermal paste
Corsair XMS3 4 GB (1333 MHz)
Cooler Master HAF 912
Seagate Barracuda 1 TB
Thermaltake TR2 430W
Windows 10 Pro

What if an... unintelligent person uses one of our systems and can't figure out why his render times doubled because of Nvidia updates?

it wouldn't double.

1. because the CPU is a major player 

2. rendering no need SLI

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

I voted before reading op because I'm actually a sandwich.

YOU SANDWICH. YOU DESERVE TO BE EATIN.. BY @thekeemo

YOU SANDWICH. YOU DESERVE TO BE EATIN.. BY @thekeemo

I voted before reading op because I'm actually a sandwich.

if he is lathered in PB I wont mind

Titan X, its more reliable than 2 980's and 12GB of Vram is good if you want to sli in the future. 

Apparently I should tag @Prastupok

Lol why?

For rendering in general, I'd vote 2 980s... those extra cores will allow better cuda acceleration in supported apps. That being said, if said customer is not very tech savvy, a single Titan X would make things simpler. In this case, Titan X is the way to go.

The projects never end in my line of work.

CPU: Dual Xeon E5-2650v2 || GPU: Dual Quadro K5000 || Motherboard: Asus Z9PE-D8 || RAM: 64GB Corsair Vengeance || Monitors: Dual LG 34UM95, NEC MultiSync EA244UHD || Storage: Dual Samsung 850 Pro 256GB in Raid 0, 6x WD Re 4TB in Raid 1 || Sound: Xonar Essense STX (Mainly for Troubleshooting and listening test) || PSU: Corsair Ax1500i

CPU: Core i7 5820k @ 4.7GHz || GPU: Dual Titan X || Motherboard: Asus X99 Deluxe || RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix Sport || Monitors: MX299Q, 29UB65, LG 34UM95 || Storage: Dual Samsung 850 EVO 1 TB in Raid 0, Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, 2TB Toshiba scratch disk, 3TB Seagate Barracuda || PSU: EVGA 1000w PS Platinum

Lol why?

For rendering in general, I'd vote 2 980s... those extra cores will allow better cuda acceleration in supported apps. That being said, if said customer is not very tech savvy, a single Titan X would make things simpler. In this case, Titan X is the way to go.

dammit I was hoping you would back me up oh well

Vote SLI 980. Yes the 12 gigs of vram is useful for the titan BUT saying that by the time games need the 12 gig of vram there will be another titan released which will be better. No games need 12 gigs of vram yet and I doubt within the next year or so and beyond any game will need 12 gig's. As for work related tasks like graphic design etc. The titan x will be useful.

dammit I was hoping you would back me up oh well

No, you're right... SLI isn't needed for rendering functionality. That being said, it's one more component that can go wrong. On the flip side, it means you have a backup part for the future. 

But for simplicity, a single Titan X with a custom fan curve set before purchase to keep it nice and cool by STRMfrmXMN would be the way I personally would go. 980s is still the faster of the two.

Vote SLI 980. Yes the 12 gigs of vram is useful for the titan BUT saying that by the time games need the 12 gig of vram there will be another titan released which will be better. No games need 12 gigs of vram yet and I doubt within the next year or so and beyond any game will need 12 gig's. As for work related tasks like graphic design etc. The titan x will be useful.

Well... Maxed out, at 3440x1440 with everything cranked... my Vram usage is over 8GB... At 4K with settings cranked it'd be even more, and that's without MSAA. (Two Titan Xs in my build using that much.)

For rendering, it'd be even better.

The projects never end in my line of work.

CPU: Dual Xeon E5-2650v2 || GPU: Dual Quadro K5000 || Motherboard: Asus Z9PE-D8 || RAM: 64GB Corsair Vengeance || Monitors: Dual LG 34UM95, NEC MultiSync EA244UHD || Storage: Dual Samsung 850 Pro 256GB in Raid 0, 6x WD Re 4TB in Raid 1 || Sound: Xonar Essense STX (Mainly for Troubleshooting and listening test) || PSU: Corsair Ax1500i

CPU: Core i7 5820k @ 4.7GHz || GPU: Dual Titan X || Motherboard: Asus X99 Deluxe || RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix Sport || Monitors: MX299Q, 29UB65, LG 34UM95 || Storage: Dual Samsung 850 EVO 1 TB in Raid 0, Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, 2TB Toshiba scratch disk, 3TB Seagate Barracuda || PSU: EVGA 1000w PS Platinum

Read OP you sandwich this be for rendering

No, you're right... SLI isn't needed for rendering functionality. That being said, it's one more component that can go wrong. On the flip side, it means you have a backup part for the future. 

But for simplicity, a single Titan X with a custom fan curve set before purchase to keep it nice and cool by STRMfrmXMN would be the way I personally would go. 980s is still the faster of the two.

Well... Maxed out, at 3440x1440 with everything cranked... my Vram usage is over 8GB... At 4K with settings cranked it'd be even more, and that's without MSAA. (Two Titan Xs in my build using that much.)

ok I give up i changed it

EDIT: you got the titan X's after all..

with your combined builds I can buy 10+ of my families car

Dunno why people posted topics like this they have already made there minds up before they post. Im taking it they post topics like this just to confirm and reinforce there decision so they are 100% sure they are making there correct decision. Don't really matter what people say. You no that some people will pick the titan x because its the single fastest GPU out there and you no that some people will pick the 980's because both of them are faster than a single Titan X.

Oh well add another number to my post count :)

Dunno why people posted topics like this they have already made there minds up before they post. Im taking it they post topics like this just to confirm and reinforce there decision so they are 100% sure they are making there correct decision. Don't really matter what people say. You no that some people will pick the titan x because its the single fastest GPU out there and you no that some people will pick the 980's because both of them are faster than a single Titan X.

Oh well add another number to my post count :)

You seem like you might be a sandwich 

Im making a valid point. Some people have already made there minds up in theory before posting. They will need some other peoples options just to be sure they are making the right decision. Happens all the time.

Im making a valid point. Some people have already made there minds up in theory before posting. They will need some other peoples options just to be sure they are making the right decision. Happens all the time.

Did you read the OP? If you did I think you'd probably get the sandwich reference...

Anything for you, babe ;)

you will also have to buy a plane ticket to calgary or cairo or the netherlands if we can time it just right

you will also have to buy a plane ticket to calgary or cairo or the netherlands if we can time it just right

You worry me....

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

You worry me....

I worry many people