Cyanogen Announces Strategic Partnership With Microsoft

Majinferno

Cyanogen Open OS Platform to Offer Microsoft Services Later This Year

PALO ALTO, CA--(Marketwired - April 16, 2015) - Cyanogen Inc. and Microsoft Corp. announced a partnership to integrate popular Microsoft services across the Cyanogen Operating System. With offices in Palo Alto and Seattle, Cyanogen is a leading mobile operating system company that is evolving the Android platform to create a more open, level playing field for third-party developed apps and services.

Under the partnership, Cyanogen will integrate and distribute Microsoft's consumer apps and services across core categories, including productivity, messaging, utilities, and cloud-based services. As part of this collaboration, Microsoft will create native integrations on Cyanogen OS, enabling a powerful new class of experiences.

"People around the world use Cyanogen's operating system and popular Microsoft services to engage with what matters most to them on their mobile devices," said Kirt McMaster, CEO of Cyanogen Inc. "This exciting partnership with Microsoft will enable us to bring new kinds of integrated services to mobile users in markets around the world."

"We aspire to have our tools within arm's reach of everyone, to empower them in all aspects of their lives. This partnership represents another important step towards that ambition," said Peggy Johnson, Executive Vice President of Microsoft Corp. "We'll continue to deliver world-class experiences across productivity and communications on Windows, and we're delighted that Cyanogen users will soon be able to take advantage of those same powerful services."

The distribution arrangement includes a number of Microsoft services: Bing services, Skype, OneDrive, OneNote, Outlook, and Microsoft Office.

About Cyanogen Inc.

Cyanogen is reimagining mobile computing, giving power to the people to customize their mobile device and content experiences. The CYANOGEN® operating system is built on Android and known for its revolutionary personalization features, intuitive interface, speed, improved battery life, and enhanced security. With a rapidly growing global user base and a vibrant community of developers, we're intelligently connecting smartphone and tablet consumers to people, apps, and things they love. For more information, visit Cyanogen's website, Google+, Twitter, and Facebook.

Source:http://www.marketwired.com/press-release/-2010445.htm

https://mobile.twitter.com/cyngn/status/588673441504620544

Not much to say. Not really a fan of Cyanogen Inc. Some may see this as a good thing, some may see it as a negative thing.a Kinda wonder if this means better continuity between cm ROMs and windows 10. Seems both MS and Cinc are pushing open source

This doesn't sound good to me...

Can you give us the source link?

Yea. Almost forgot :P

Hmm.... I have heard that Cyanogen Inc. and CyanogenMod are considered as separate entities internally, so I don't how this will affect users who choose to install CM on their devices. Best case scenario, all devices supported by CM get Windows 10.

LTT's unofficial Windows activation expert.

Cyanogenmod (or at least the company/community) has gotten worse and worse ever since they became a company, and I don't see this move changing that. In fact this might make things even worse.

I sure hope the things they integrate into Cyanogenmod are free. The last thing I want is for my free and open source OS to have a bunch of "can't use this feature unless you pay" popups when I use it.

MS is pushing open source? When did that happen? Surely not with their own software.....

Didn't .NET or something go open source?

"My game vs my brains, who gets more fatal errors?" ~ Camper125Lv, GMC Jam #15

Hmm.... I have heard that Cyanogen Inc. and CyanogenMod are considered as separate entities internally, so I don't how this will affect users who choose to install CM on their devices. Best case scenario, all devices supported by CM get Windows 10.

Holy crap... Imagine a windows 10 custom rom for android devices. That'd be awesome!!!

MacBook Pro 15' 2018 (Pretty much the only system I use)

MS is pushing open source? When did that happen? Surely not with their own software.....

Seems more like they are trying to push their proprietary programs into open source projects.

Cyanogenmod (or at least the company/community) has gotten worse and worse ever since they became a company, and I don't see this move changing that. In fact this might make things even worse.

I sure hope the things they integrate into Cyanogenmod are free. The last thing I want is for my free and open source OS to have a bunch of "can't use this feature unless you pay" popups when I use it.

How did they go worse ?? 

The distribution arrangement includes a number of Microsoft services: Bing services, Skype, OneDrive, OneNote, Outlook, and Microsoft Office. 

This sounds interesting but the way of integration will be the killer thing.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

Holy crap... Imagine a windows 10 custom rom for android devices. That'd be awesome!!!

It's just integration in CM and probably bundled apps. Windows 10 ain't related at all...

Don't understand.. CM were hating on Google for having some of their own services not being open... How is this not in contradiction to that?

On the plus side. Most of the business world use Microsoft services so better integration with Android could mean more Android in business (as opposed to iPhones which are only for image)

It's just integration in CM and probably bundled apps. Windows 10 ain't related at all...

Can't I dream?? :P

MacBook Pro 15' 2018 (Pretty much the only system I use)

Didn't you hear? The new Microsoft loves open source and free things...

exceptions might apply.

-------

Current Rig

-------

all this means is that on your rom you will get a windows live mail app or something like that...or the online ms office app or stuff like that

If you need remote help fixing something on your computer

I can help over Teamviewer if you wish

just msg me on my profile

Not to say I'd buy Cyanogen (or use CyanogenMod) in the first place, but this just puts me off more. Probably won't even consider their stuff anymore.

Depends. S ROMs exclusives might get these features as opposed to cyanogen mod ROMs. So basically the One plus One and YU Yureka

How did they go worse ??

A lot less transparent, cutting people out from the project (people high up in the project being dicks to members below them) and things like the recent exclusivity deal with Micromax which harmed OnePlus.

Don't worry people! This is not about Cyanogenmod!

I did not know this, but apparently Cyanogenmod and Cyanogen OS are two different things. Cyanogen OS appears to be the commercial version of Cyanogenmod, and these news are only about that. So it seems like phones that come preloaded with Cyanogen OS (Like the Alcatel OneTouch Hero 2+ and maybe phones from Micromax?) will include Microsoft stuff, and if you download Cyanogenmod you won't get it.

Seems alright I guess.

Since the Satya became CEO Micorosft have been going though the right direction. They have been pushing a lot of things and supporting open source for a while, even helped android in a major way with its UI.

Don't worry people! This is not about Cyanogenmod!

I did not know this, but apparently Cyanogenmod and Cyanogen OS are two different things.

The is correct. The mod is more open source with its functions without the OS for obvious reason where the OS has the pre-build functions within android OS, it is also official making updates and fixes with that the mod is heres the code, implement it into your rom.

Slick:

I don't care if you are right or wrong... someone will come around and correct you if you are wrong. What people need to realize is that we need to step up as a community and get above the pathetic fights and bickering. Share knowledge, be friendly, enjoy your stay.

He also forgot to mention if you dont know about the topic then dont make stuff up. Dont claim fake or assume things just by reading the title, Read the post. It doesnt matter if you made 3,000 as it could be mostly crap...

Again didnt microsoft wanted to put WinPhone on our androids? this makes sense why.

Again didnt microsoft wanted to put WinPhone on our androids? this makes sense why.

I think its more of an android focused partnership on cyanogens end rather than a potential windows phone port. It seems to be cyanogen inc trying to push things to a higher level, but needing a big partner to give them the help they need.

Does anyone else see cyanogen help make win10 mobile? Correct me if I'm wrong but that would be awesome. Much excite.

- snip-

Weren't they the ones that wanted to "take" android from google?

Desktop: Intel 4770k - 12GB Vengeance Pro 1866Mhz RAM - Asus Maximus VI Formula Mobo - Asus Strix 970 SLI - Cooler Master V850 PSU -  Nzxt Phantom 630 Case  - 1TB WD HDD - Samsung 840 Evo 250GB SSD - Nzxt Kraken X60 - 24" Asus VG248QE 1080p Monitor - Logitech G35 Headset -  G502 Proteus Core - Logitech G710+ Keyboard - Nzxt Hue - Windows 10