32GB Ram sticks!? What the heck...

Browsing the internet I came across this: http://bit.ly/1NIfAM5.

Its a 32GB single stick of DDR3 ram.

So if you have a motherboard that supports 8 sticks of ram, you could have 256GB of ram?! 

Any ideas why someone would ever need that much ram?

This is not for normal pc. It's for server computer

Mainboard:ROG-STRIX-B360-G-GAMING/Cpu:I5 8400 /Gpu: Galax RTX 2070 /Ram: Corsair Vengeance 16 GB DDR4/ Storage:1TB HDD 2 Corsair SSD PSU : Corsair 550W/Cooling: Silverstone Air Cooler/ / Case : Corsair/Keyboard:Razer Chroma TKL/Mouse:Mionix Castor+Steelseries Qck Mass/Headphone:V Moda M100 

Quote me if you when me to reply to something. 

Servers, they need that much.

And i don't think there's any consumer-grade board that supports that.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

Welcome to the Forum.

People use this for stuff like extreme corporate applications. Take a look at this:

http://www.reddit.com/r/pcmasterrace/comments/2udjr4/not_a_typo_not_a_bios_error_15tb_of_ram_got_the/

My school runs VMs for the majority of the computer system, 6 servers with 240GB RAM each to avoid overdedicating with 1.5GB per client plus lots of overhead.

Sig under construction.

57eSht8.png

How+About+No.jpg

Basic guide to CPU's!

If I said I were 14, you would call me a kid. If I say 70, you’ll entitle me too old. If I say 20 you say I’m inexperienced and if I say 40 than I'm too boring.

龴 ͡ↀ ◡ ͡ↀ龴#locked( ͡͡ ° ͜ ʖ ͡ °)

Damn that RAM is for server, they need a lot of RAM.... Unlike PC for consumer use. Gotta be efficient, put 1x32GB RAM instead of 4x8GB of RAM, fill dem slots.

Where I hang out: The Garage - Car Enthusiast Club

My cars: 2006 Mazda RX-8 (MT) | 2014 Mazda 6 (AT) | 2009 Honda Jazz (AT)

PC Specs

Indonesia

CPU: i5-4690 | Motherboard: MSI B85-G43 | Memory: Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB | Power Supply: Corsair CX500 | Video Card: MSI GTX 970

Storage: Kingston V300 120GB & WD Blue 1TB | Network Card: ASUS PCE-AC56 | Peripherals: Microsoft Wired 600 & Logitech G29 + Shifter

Australia 

CPU: Ryzen 3 2200G | Motherboard: MSI - B450 Tomahawk | Memory: Mushkin - 8GB (1 x 8GB) | Storage: Mushkin 250GB & Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB
Video Card: GIGABYTE - RX 580 8GB | Case: Corsair - 100R ATX Mid Tower | Power Supply: Avolv 550W 80+ Gold

Thanks for the great replies guys, and that $1300 Price tag is insane. 

For IvyBridge DT CPU it only supports 36 bit addressing which means less than 64GB of RAM, also it doesn't appear to support 16GB modules let alone 32GB. IvyBridge-E can use 16GB modules on Asus X79 for 128GB total. Haswell DT CPU supports 512GB of addressing but may still be problems using anything higher than 8GB modules. Mobile Broadwell CPU's have been shown to work with 16GB modules.

Just FYI, the company that I work for, sells databases called HANA, which can have 1TB+ of RAM :)

They use the RAM for data storage, so everything can be extremely fast.

CPU: Ryzen 3 3600 | GPU: Gigabite GTX 1660 super | Motherboard: MSI Mortar MAX | RAM: G Skill Trident Z 3200 (2x8GB) | Case: Cooler Master Q300L | Storage: Samsung 970 EVO 250G + Samsung 860 Evo 1TB | PSU: Corsair RM650x | Displays: LG 27'' G-Sync compatible 144hz 1080p | Cooling: NH U12S black | Keyboard: Logitech G512 carbon | Mouse: Logitech g900 

Just FYI, the company that I work for, sells databases called HANA, which can have 1TB+ of RAM :)

They use the RAM for data storage, so everything can be extremely fast.

Ah I see, they use the ram as a drive, it would be insanely fast.

I have 8 of those stick in my server that sold like weeks ago made about like a brief case full of money sold it for 400k to a did in Craig's list bought a scanner to check if it's counterfeit lol

Not to mention it's like over 1,000 bucks lol.

PC and Peripherals:

Intel Core i3 4150 @3.5GHz - ASRock H97M Anniversary - Kingston Fury HyperX Black 8GB DDR3 @1866MHz - Gigabyte GeForce GTX 960 G1 Gaming 2GB GDDR5 - EVGA 500W 80+ Certified - WD Caviar Blue 1TB - WD Caviar Blue 160GB - Lian Li PC-50 - Linux Ubuntu 14.04.3 LTS - Acer P221w 21.5" 1680x1050 60Hz - Kingston Fury HyperX Clouds - Razer Deathadder 3.5G - CM Storm Quickfire Rapid w/ Cherry MX Blues

Consumer grade CPUs are limited to 32GB RAM total, they do not have enough physical address bits for any more than that. So obviously this RAM is not intended for a home computer.

Consumer grade CPUs are limited to 32GB RAM total, they do not have enough physical address bits for any more than that. So obviously this RAM is not intended for a home computer.

I think the i7 5960X can handle more then 32GB ram total, but I suppose it isn't a mainstream cpu as its so expensive, so good point.

I think the i7 5960X can handle more then 32GB ram total, but I suppose it isn't a mainstream cpu as its so expensive, so good point.

However, I would say that the 5820k is almost a consumer type CPU, and that can address 64GB, at least.

Sig under construction.