Piracy is a Service problem

zappian

Disclaimer : I am not incentivating anyone to pirate anything or am i condoning it , just reflecting on current DRM issues.

This seems like common sense but it inst to most companies.

DRM measures are getting more and more aggressive and are compromising the QUALITY  of the product to never seen before levels.

I have a original steam GTA IV copy on one of my steam accounts and i can say if I want to play the SP for the game the pirated version is superior.

This happened with far cry 4 , assasins creed II , sim city ( RIP Maxis) and many other games.

What companies are doing is making the pirated version more appealing in an effort to STOP piracy.

I mean GTA IV needs you to have a social club account and the social club sync sometimes doesn't work , and GFWL to load profiles which sometimes doesn't work as well.

Its a pain in the ass and only creates bridges for the consumer to cross.

Valve is smart in their DRM, Steam is DRM but it offers features like chat , game deals , cards , emotes , items etc..

A lot of successful companies have gotten their success out of consumer good will , and that goes a lot long than any securom DRM to stop piracy.

Look at steam , look at GOG , look at indie success stories like minecraft and super meat boy look at valve.

This is so simple yet no game company understands this , or they pretend not to .

TL:DR Piracy is a service problem , companies make pirates to be evil basement dwellers but their DRM is making the pirated versions superior.

Before blaming the pirates they should see what they are doing wrong first , especially ubisoft.

Ubisoft blaming the pirates while sipitting on the consumers face multiple times should win an hypocrisy award.

Not promoting piracy or anything but I do Pirate games just to see if it's worth it to buy this game. If not I'll just delete it after my seed ratio is 1:1

I still immediately buy/pre-order games that I'm definitely sure I'll enjoy like Skyrim, Sims 4, Torchlight 2, ME3 and others.

|CPU: Intel i7-5960X @ 4.4ghz|MoBo: Asus Rampage V|RAM: 64GB Corsair Dominator Platinum|GPU:2-way SLI Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 980's|SSD:512GB Samsung 850 pro|HDD: 2TB WD Black|PSU: Corsair AX1200i|COOLING: NZXT Kraken x61|SOUNDCARD: Creative SBX ZxR|  ^_^  Planned Bedroom Build: Red Phantom [quadro is stuck in customs, still trying to find a cheaper way to buy a highend xeon]

yeah... but what's your point except sharing knowledge that has been widely known for years?

it´s not new...

thats the fun part, i remember the earlier versions of securerom, i loved GTR a really great racing game, so i bought the game, installed it, and thought my Burner were destroyed.

but the old version simply disabled the burner, so that was fun times, buy a game, and we are going to disable hardware. since they did not patch it, and internet at the time were more a privilige than a right i must admit, that i bypassed the game with a cracked exe.

simply to keep my computer running and to be able to turn in my work on a burned disc, since floppy´s extreme 1.44MB capacity were an issue, and it also had the problem of going bad quite easily.

at that time the conclusion were, IF you bought a burner you MUST be a pirate.

it´s not new...

thats the fun part, i remember the earlier versions of securerom, i loved GTR a really great racing game, so i bought the game, installed it, and thought my Burner were destroyed.

but the old version simply disabled the burner, so that was fun times, buy a game, and we are going to disable hardware. since they did not patch it, and internet at the time were more a privilige than a right i must admit, that i bypassed the game with a cracked exe.

simply to keep my computer running and to be able to turn in my work on a burned disc, since floppy´s extreme 1.44MB capacity were an issue, and it also had the problem of going bad quite easily.

at that time the conclusion were, IF you bought a burner you MUST be a pirate.

Yeah this has been happening for a while.

Thanks for the story,

The point of the thread is to people discuss this and insert their personal experiences here if they want.

Cheers.

Disclaimer : I am not incentivating anyone to pirate anything or am i condoning it , just reflecting on current DRM issues.

This seems like common sense but it inst to most companies.

DRM measures are getting more and more aggressive and are compromising the QUALITY  of the product to never seen before levels.

I have a original steam GTA IV copy on one of my steam accounts and i can say if I want to play the SP for the game the pirated version is superior.

This happened with far cry 4 , assasins creed II , sim city ( RIP Maxis) and many other games.

What companies are doing is making the pirated version more appealing in an effort to STOP piracy.

I mean GTA IV needs you to have a social club account and the social club sync sometimes doesn't work , and GFWL to load profiles which sometimes doesn't work as well.

Its a pain in the ass and only creates bridges for the consumer to cross.

Valve is smart in their DRM, Steam is DRM but it offers features like chat , game deals , cards , emotes , items etc..

A lot of successful companies have gotten their success out of consumer good will , and that goes a lot long than any securom DRM to stop piracy.

Look at steam , look at GOG , look at indie success stories like minecraft and super meat boy look at valve.

This is so simple yet no game company understands this , or they pretend not to .

TL:DR Piracy is a service problem , companies make pirates to be evil basement dwellers but their DRM is making the pirated versions superior.

Before blaming the pirates they should see what they are doing wrong first , especially ubisoft.

Ubisoft blaming the pirates while sipitting on the consumers face multiple times should win an hypocrisy award.

I've had several of my college teachers and even my business teacher at high school agree with me when I bought this up with them, people know that its a lack of service, but the retards in charge of distributing content have no fucking clue.

Edit: BTW, I've had heard DRM called a couple of times a 'bad business practice'.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Lol I cracked my legit copy of gta IV just to get it to save.... I bought it at target before I got fast internet ._.

When you have to crack a game you bought, you are going to have a bad time.

Atom14 [Corsair] i5-4690K | Corsair H110i GT | MSI Z97S SLI Krait | 16 GB Team Group DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB X2 | EVGA SuperNOVA 850W 80+ Gold | Corsair K95 RGB | Corsair M65 RGB | EVGA ACX 2.0 GTX 980Ti

Corsair KXX RGB Keyboard Cover Mod Make your own using my templates!

Same as always, old men in suits with no idea what they're doing.

But yeah, the lack of better options will lead to piracy. For example Game of Thrones is MASSIVELY pirated in Norway, and that's simply because the Norwegian HBO gets the episodes 1 year later than the American one. Another great example is Russia and Steam, I'm not too sure about the details but apparently it really helped on the piracy rates there.

By the way, kudos to CD RED PROJECT, they're releasing The Witcher 3 completely free of any kind of DRM and that's awesome.

I'm telling the truth! I AM a 12 year old girl!

Lol I cracked my legit copy of gta IV just to get it to save.... I bought it at target before I got fast internet ._.

When you have to crack a game you bought, you are going to have a bad time.

I had to that to FC3: BD, I couldn't even launch the game without an update that was larger than the installed game. And back then I was paying $180 for 12GB of internet.

PMSL

I had to that to FC3: BD, I couldn't even launch the game without an update that was larger than the installed game. And back then I was paying $180 for 12GB of internet.

Its capitalism at work.

I mean if you cant get a decent product you will go find the alternative.

Valve is smart because they make their products hassle free and accessible anywhere.

Its capitalism at work.

I mean if you cant get a decent product you will go find the alternative.

Valve is smart because they make their products hassle free and accessible anywhere.

And the ability to backup games, so those with a shitty connection don't need to download them all over again, and then wait for the massive updates to complete.

PMSL

-Snip-

• The most true thing I ever read. Do you know what the worst thing is? Microsoft's Xbox One. An console with always online.

Why did we have to lynch Microsoft? Microsoft should've not been able to come up with such a thing. Online DRM should have never existed as a concept, for anything.

• I used to only play pirated games, and I can tell you one thing. DRM only attracts pirates. The game devs think that there's just a lobby of evil people, choosing each week what crime to commit. In such case, DRM would help. But it's not. Crackers are individual, talented people who have a race to see who can upload a game first. If there's DRM on a game, and you crack it first, than you get endless praise.

• Game devs should WIN respect from their games. Do you know why I stopped cracking games? FTL: Faster Than Light. A game made by two people. 2D graphics with retro bit style art. But it was so good. I've never seen anything like it before, the amount of thought and passion put into it was nothing i've ever seen before. I haven't seen it before in any AAA game I ever played. Out of respect to the devs, I bought it. People won't respect you if you put always online DRM on your 5 millionth shooter EA and Ubisoft. People will pay if you step out of the box, do something which hasn't been done before.

• Are we even supposed to care about AAA business anymore? The only AAA developer who doesn't try to be Call Of Duty is... Well... Um...

Basic guide to CPU's!

If I said I were 14, you would call me a kid. If I say 70, you’ll entitle me too old. If I say 20 you say I’m inexperienced and if I say 40 than I'm too boring.

龴 ͡ↀ ◡ ͡ↀ龴#locked( ͡͡ ° ͜ ʖ ͡ °)

Preaching the choir mate...

“I like being alone. I have control over my own shit. Therefore, in order to win me over, your presence has to feel better than my solitude. You're not competing with another person, you are competing with my comfort zones.”  - portfolio - twitter - instagram - youtube

Nothing new today. Back in the day, companies were selling special encryption boxes that could read the code from the disk which you then had to insert in the installer just to run the thing or simply asking you for random text from the manual that came with the disk. 

Now it's mostly the companies greed to not release the product in specific regions or even sell them at higher prices just based on the same restriction.

I'm not preaching piracy (whoever did not do it is probably a good contender for presidency) but the software distribution as it is today is seriously lacking.

Give the people a simple platform where they can buy any title they wish and you'll be on the right track. When you have a problem with potential customers that want to pay for your products and you simply refuse their money, complaining about piracy is pointless. 

(whoever did not do it is probably a good contender for presidency)

I totally agree with you on every point you made in that post, but I have to admit, that bit made me laugh, on several levels.

I got far cry 3, then pirated it because I couldn't stand uplay. Which is also what scared me away from ever buying an ubisoft title again. I was tempted to get fc4, but then I thought about uplay...

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

I got far cry 3, then pirated it because I couldn't stand uplay. Which is also what scared me away from ever buying an ubisoft title again. I was tempted to get fc4, but then I thought about uplay...

Uplay-the thing that made me say fuck Ubisoft after dealing with FC3: BD.

PMSL