ESD strap to the grounding pin on your European wall socket?

Dimi3os

Title says it all: Can you attach your anti static wrist wrap to the grounding pin on your European wall socket?

Title says it all: Can you attach your anti static wrist wrap to the grounding pin on your European wall socket?

Technically this isn't a "Peripherals" type question. I really wish we had an electronics/wiring type subforum....

Anyways, I'm going to report this to have it moved to General Discussion if you don't mind.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

in theory yes, just PLEASE don't attach it to the wrong pin, that would be a really embarrassing way to die   :D

in theory yes, just PLEASE don't attach it to the wrong pin, that would be a really embarrassing way to die   :D

How can you attach it to the wrong pin?! There is only one sticking out.

How can you attach it to the wrong pin?! There is only one sticking out.

I mean don't let it touch the actual pins.

Moved to General Discussion.

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

Yes you can, it's fine.  Electrically it is the same as plugging your PSU in and connecting to the case.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

I would advise making sure your ground is actually grounding and that there is not a break in the wire.

I would advise making sure your ground is actually grounding and that there is not a break in the wire.

Connecting to the case would be safer so?

Honestly its safer to connect it to the case, connect the case to the mains but leave the power switch off

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Honestly its safer to connect it to the case, connect the case to the mains but leave the power switch off

So you suggest that I install the PSU in the case and then connect it to the wall with the power switch turned off. Then attaching the alligator clip to the case?

(Just making sure ;))

So you suggest that I install the PSU in the case and then connect it to the wall with the power switch turned off. Then attaching the alligator clip to the case?

(Just making sure ;))

Yes :)

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Thanks, do you know any advice with this by chance? It's all I need to know to start building :D http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/347768-because-i-need-to-make-sure-should-i-update-my-bios-before-first-post/

It might be a smart idea to update your bios yes, though honestly i am not 100% on this, as I have no experiance with x99 first hand

It might be a smart idea to update your bios yes, though honestly i am not 100% on this, as I have no experiance with x99 first hand

I'll dig deeper, I need to make sure I don't fry my motherboard. Also, the manual says to not change BIOS settings unless there is an error in the boot or you need the update for your new hardware...

I'll dig deeper, I need to make sure I don't fry my motherboard. Also, the manual says to not change BIOS settings unless there is an error in the boot or you need the update for your new hardware...

BIOS updates can be risky in case anything goes wrong, I would contact the manufacturer support and ask their advice

BIOS updates can be risky in case anything goes wrong, I would contact the manufacturer support and ask their advice

Talking to Asus live chat atm... Let's hope it gets solved for good.

Talking to Asus live chat atm... Let's hope it gets solved for good.

Of course they refered me to their motherboard chat section which won't be online for another 5 hours. GG WP Asus :(

Actually connecting to the earth pin on the wall outlet is safer,  statistically you are more likely to have an issue with the PSU shorting out than the wall outlet behind wired wrong.  However in the unlikely event the wall outlet is wired wrong then you are more likely to have the active and neutral swapped resulting in it being more dangerous to plug a PSU in as it might prevent the RCD (safety switch) from tripping. And cause the PSU to be live regardless of the switch position. In both scenarios connecting to the earth pin is safer. 

Of course this is electrical engineering from 1992 and although I am sure the RCD and physical characteristics of electricity hasn't changed, other things do.

EDIT: I realize that reads a bit funny so I'll simplify,  A psu won't change the likely hood of an earth issue in the wall.   If the active and neutral are swapped in the wall, you wouldn't notice until you plugged in a dodgy PSU and earthed it.  The dangerous side to this is that a swapped neutral and active will render the switch useless, thus the device will always be live.   We are talking the in the percentages of 0.00000X% here for failure rates of either RCD's or PSU's however, that's the way it is.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.