Can laptop on battery run games with dedicated gpu at full clock?

crystal6tak

I'm having an argument with a friend. However the question I'm asking is if a laptop is running on battery (so it's not plugged in) can the person force the dedicated gpu to run on it's full clock for gaming. My friend says it's impossible due to the battery not able to provide the constant power source needed. So can it? For some extra information we're arguing about gaming laptops at the $1300 range.

Backstory:

My friend and I am arguing on portable PC gaming solutions on the go like on buses and mrt. He's siding with Razer edge pro with the gamepad controller and I'm siding with a gaming laptop in a backpack with nvidia shield. So far his whole argument is that my solution can't beat his in terms of performance as a $1300 gaming laptop on battery can't beat the razer edge in terms of performance. The razer edge pro + gamepad is $1600 and the nvidia shield is $300 which is why I arrived at the $1300 gaming laptop. 

of course it can

msi z97m gaming - i5 4690k @4.4ghz 1.2V corsair h110 powercolor r9 290x pcs+ - 8GB corsair vengeance dual channel @2133mhz - thermaltake smart power se 730watts - intel 530 series 240GB ssd seagate 1tb 7200rpm - corsiar obsidian 350D - 2x enermax tb silence 140mm - logitech x-530 - sony mdr xb600 - medion 24'' 1080P cm storm quickfire tk white edition with cherry mx red cheap but awesome mouse #GloriousPaintMasterRace

of course it can

that's what I told him...but apparently to him without an actual proof he doesn't believe it O_o. Do you have a link to someone using a gaming laptop on battery running gpu at full clock though? I'm trying to find one but no luck.

not for very long, but yes. 

The notebook itself only knows that it is getting power, and it doesn't really take into account where the power is coming from or how long it will last. 

pretty sure 99% of every laptop in the world car run at full  using the battery

your friend is misinformed

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

that's what I told him...but apparently to him without an actual proof he doesn't believe it O_o. Do you have a link to someone using a gaming laptop on battery running gpu at full clock though? I'm trying to find one but no luck.

you can also serach the watt outputt on the battery and the powerconsumption on full load and see if the output is higher than the power consumption, also you can just run benchmarkss en check it yourself xD

msi z97m gaming - i5 4690k @4.4ghz 1.2V corsair h110 powercolor r9 290x pcs+ - 8GB corsair vengeance dual channel @2133mhz - thermaltake smart power se 730watts - intel 530 series 240GB ssd seagate 1tb 7200rpm - corsiar obsidian 350D - 2x enermax tb silence 140mm - logitech x-530 - sony mdr xb600 - medion 24'' 1080P cm storm quickfire tk white edition with cherry mx red cheap but awesome mouse #GloriousPaintMasterRace

Of course it can. It just means the battery would die pretty quickly.

On a side note though, on my laptop, I've noticed it performs slightly slower when it's not plugged in. Then again, it is a 4 year old Toshiba, that cost $800 when new.

Mine can do it with a Intel i7 and 3GB 445M, but the battery life shrinks to 30mins though.

yes you can 

If you tell a big enough lie and tell it frequently enough it will be believed.

-Adolf Hitler 

Mine can do it with a Intel i7 and 3GB 445M, but the battery life shrinks to 30mins though.

Mine with an I5, 6GB ram and 640M Le runs about 1-1.5 hours on battery while gaming. (that said it is an ultra book)

CPU: i7 5820K 4.0GHz @1.15V | MOBO: Asus X99 Sabertooth | GPU: Gigabyte Windforce GTX 980Ti, LTT Orange | CASE: NZXT H440 Black 2015 | COOLER: Noctua NH-D15S w/ LTT Fans | RAM: 32GB Patriot 3000MHz | STORAGE: 512GB Samsung 950 Pro, 960GB Sandisk Ultra II 3 x 8TB Seagate HDD's | PSU: 750W Seasonic X series, black / orange cablemod cables| Monitors: 3x Asus VX24AH's | AUDIO OUT: Microlab SOLO 8C, Sennheiser HD 650's, Audio engine D1 Amp / DAC | AUDIO IN: Blue Snowball | Keyboard: CM Storm QuickFire TK MX Green | Mouse: Logitech G900 Proteus Spectrum + RSI Extended Mouse Pad | PCPP Linkhttp://nz.pcpartpicker.com/list/hPjFd6

My laptop can run at full load on battery power easily. I wondered about this myself and ran a few tests. Both results, on and off battery power, were within margin of error.

Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 | Intel Core i7 4790k | Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming GT                              Notebook: Dell XPS 13

16GB Kingston HyperX Fury | 2x Asus GeForce GTX 680 OC SLI | Corsair H60 2013

Seasonic Platinum 1050W | 2x Samsung 840 EVO 250GB RAID 0 | WD 1TB & 2TB Green                                 dat 1080p-ness

At most you just put it on performance mode lol it won't last long on just batter though

Most laptops by default throttle down the gpu clock when unplugged, but this can be easily changed in the power settings.  

I have an alienware m11x and I can play on it for 2 hours on battery.  I wouldn't count it as a power house, but place stuff fairly well.  But yeah if it slows down just switch it into performance mode and it should work the same 

If a car isn't getting gas pumped into does it to slower?

No. Tell your friend he's wrong then beat him with a water cooling hose.

Normally yes, because the power brick and the battery usually output the same wattage, thus allowing users to remove the battery while pluged in an still use the device normally.

but if you do anything crazy like overclocking/overvolting the components like ive done then other components will effectively be under clocked as the battery/ power brick only supply enough watts for the stock config...

Cpu: Ryzen 2700 @ 4.0Ghz | Motherboard: Hero VI x370 | Gpu: EVGA RTX 2080 | Cooler: Custom Water loop | Ram: 16GB Trident Z 3000MHz

PSU: RM650x + Braided cables | Case:  painted Corsair c70 | Monitor: MSI 1440p 144hz VA | Drives: 500GB 850 Evo (OS)

Laptop: 2014 Razer blade 14" Desktop: http://imgur.com/AQZh2sj , http://imgur.com/ukAXerd