Front Mounting H100i in the Define R5

Go to solution Solved by lukky211111,

I'd like to keep the case as quiet as possible by mounting the radiator in the front and configure it in push. This makes it so that I don't have to sacrifice the silence that comes from keeping the moduvents in the top.

yes its possible in fact if you look up the video of logan from tek syndicates rig update he uses the define r5 and one of the corsair aios front mounted and he has the triple harddrive cage pushed back a lil bit to make room for it i also own the define r5 case myself and the manual has insane options for water cooling. i never thought a case of this size could be so damn versatile.

Does anyone know if you can mount the radiator in the front of the R5 just by removing the 5HDD bay and sliding the 3HDD bay back? And by sliding I mean sliding it back along the slotted mount that it's on and not moving it further back towards the power supply.

Thanks.

Does anyone know if you can mount the radiator in the front of the R5 just by removing the 5HDD bay and sliding the 3HDD bay back? And by sliding I mean sliding it back along the slotted mount that it's on and not moving it further back towards the power supply.

Thanks.

It's possible but wouldn't it be better if the rad is mounted on top? The front is usually mean't for intake, everything else is exhaust or intake.

Main Rig

Case: NZXT H440 White | CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K @5.2GHz | CPU Cooler: Corsair H80i Hydro Series | Motherboard: MSI Z97S Krait Edition | RAM: HyperX Fury White & Black Series 16GB (4x4GB) OC to 2133MHz | Graphics Card: Zotac GeForce GTX 980 Ti ArcticStorm | SSD: Intel 730 Series 480GB & Samsung 840 256GB | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200rpm | PSU: EVGA 750W Supernova G2 80+ Gold | Display: BenQ XL2420G & Samsung S20D300 | Headset: Corsair 1500 | Mouse: Logitech G700S | Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K70 Silver RED LED

XENON Build:  

Intel Xeon E3-1230 V2 @3.3GHz | Intel DZ68BC | Corsair Dominator Platinum 2x4GB 1866MHz | Kingston HyperX 3k 240GB | MSI GeForce GTX 680 | Fractal Design Define R4 Titanium Grey | Seasonic 520W 80+ Platinum Fanless

Office Build:

Case: Fractal Focus G White | CPU: i5-8600K | CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo | Motherboard: MSI Z370-A PRO | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB-2666 | GPU: MSI GTX 1060 6GB GAMING X | SSD: Kingston A400 240GB | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200rpm | PSU: EVGA BT 450W+ Bronze

Phone

iPhone XS Max 512GB Gold

It's possible but wouldn't it be better if the rad is mounting on top? The front is usually mean't for intake, everything else is exhaust or intake.

I'd like to keep the case as quiet as possible by mounting the radiator in the front and configure it in push. This makes it so that I don't have to sacrifice the silence that comes from keeping the moduvents in the top.

yes its possible in fact if you look up the video of logan from tek syndicates rig update he uses the define r5 and one of the corsair aios front mounted and he has the triple harddrive cage pushed back a lil bit to make room for it i also own the define r5 case myself and the manual has insane options for water cooling. i never thought a case of this size could be so damn versatile.

askdjfasdf

it should be possible, but i would not advise it. You will be pumping heat into the case and onto the gpu instead of exhausting the heat. Your pc will run much better if you have the radiator as an exhaust

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

it should be possible, but i would not advise it. You will be pumping heat into the case and onto the gpu instead of exhausting the heat. Your pc will run much better if you have the radiator as an exhaust

So you think it would be better to have the warmer air from the case cooling the cpu? Makes total sense...

G3258 @ 4.5 | 8GB Team Vulcan RAM | 128GB Kingston V300 SSD (I didn't know what I was doing when I bought it) | MSI H81I Motherboard | Corsair H55 with Noctua NF-P12 | EVGA SSC GTX 960 4GB | OCZ 550W Fully Modular PSU with Noctua NF-A14 | Cooler Master Elite 130 (Soon to be something cool)

heres what im doing with my define r5 build for silence im actually going with an air cooler the noctua nh-d15 and air cooling will be more silent than water cooling in some cases because the pump is still another point for noise and another point of failure in this case (no pun intended).

askdjfasdf

So you think it would be better to have the warmer air from the case cooling the cpu? Makes total sense...

hey hes new let it go. not all of us come to this forum being completely understand of building pc's. 

askdjfasdf

hey hes new let it go. not all of us come to this forum being completely understand of building pc's.

Whatdya mean new? Since 2013, says he's 21 so not like a 10 year old...

G3258 @ 4.5 | 8GB Team Vulcan RAM | 128GB Kingston V300 SSD (I didn't know what I was doing when I bought it) | MSI H81I Motherboard | Corsair H55 with Noctua NF-P12 | EVGA SSC GTX 960 4GB | OCZ 550W Fully Modular PSU with Noctua NF-A14 | Cooler Master Elite 130 (Soon to be something cool)

what? no not at all. Would you rather have the heat build up and cook the gpu and other internal parts? The intake should be open so you get cool air running through both the cpu cooler and gpu cooler.

not new at all, i know what works and does not from personal experience.

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

Whatdya mean new? Since 2013, says he's 21 so not like a 10 year old...

hm....well hes not that new but still if he doesnt try every option how will he know what works best for his build? thats what puget systems does even if itll be completely balls they still give it a shot. 

askdjfasdf

what? no not at all. Would you rather have the heat build up and cook the gpu and other internal parts? The intake should be open so you get cool air running through both the cpu cooler and gpu cooler.

not new at all, i know what works and does not from personal experience.

i was talking about the original poster :). sorry for any confusion and yes i know the original poster isnt new now.

askdjfasdf

it should be possible, but i would not advise it. You will be pumping heat into the case and onto the gpu instead of exhausting the heat. Your pc will run much better if you have the radiator as an exhaust[/quote

If he's not using a 9590 or heavily overclocked cpu of some sort, the heat that comes out of the radiator is fairly negligible.

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

Well considering I'm using an old AIO cooler attached to a Kraken g10 to my 980 and having that radiator exhaust out the rear... I'm not sure if I make total sense :D

If he's not using a 9590 or heavily overclocked cpu of some sort, the heat that comes out of the radiator is fairly negligible.

True, but the heat adds up and can lead to increased gpu temps as it did in my case. I found that having my radiator at the top resulted in better gpu temps and no change at all in cpu temps. I went from running around 70c+ on my 770 with the rad in the front down to the 60's with the rad as a to exhaust.

Does it actually make that much a of a difference taking the moduvents off? Im curious as too how effective they are.

Does it actually make that much a of a difference taking the moduvents off? Im curious as too how effective they are.

I know for a fact that it makes a pretty big difference on the Define R4.