powerBank with high and low outputs?

Badger906
Go to solution Solved by QueenDemetria,

from experience charging Lithium batteries with a too high of ampage results in fire!! i used to race remote control cars competitively, and a 5000mah lipo used to only last about 10mins in a race, so we used to fast charge them at 10amp so twice their capacity to charge them in half the time.. well net result I've burns on my hands, lots £1500 worth of car and a few hundred quids worth of batteries in a short period of time :P

Ah, but that's because RC batteries are not regulated(the charger decides how much power it gets). With devices(phones, computers, headsets, etc.), the power goes into the device and gets distributed to different components. Before the charger reaches the battery, it has to go through a power regulator to prevent over charging(over volting, current limiting, etc.). This is why some devices see zero benefit from high amp chargers and why nobody worrys about lipo fires like the hobby guys(I don't see anybody charging phones in those fire bags lol). You will be fine using a high amp charger with your headset, there are many things put in place to prevent over charging like the RC stuff(consumers are the ones using this stuff, things have to be idiot proof). RC stuff is "hard core", since its enthusiasts that control the market(it would be boring otherwise lol).

I'm after a power bank but i can't seem to find one that fits my specification!

Id like one with 2 outputs, one seemingly high (around 2amp) and the other on the low side say around 200-500mah to simulate a non powered usb socket.

the reason i require a low capacity output is for my Jabra wireless earphones, and i dont want to go ramming 2amp into their tiny 250mah battery and toasting it!!

or is there such a thing as a Micro USB cable that limits the charger output?? like a mini transformer. the 5.5Hour battery life is the only issue stopping my jabras fully replacing my wired earphones.

Gaming PC: • AMD Ryzen 7 3900x • 16gb Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3200mhz • Founders Edition 2080ti • 2x Crucial 1tb nvme ssd • NZXT H1• Logitech G915TKL • Logitech G Pro • Asus ROG XG32VQ • SteelSeries Arctis Pro Wireless

Laptop: MacBook Pro M1 512gb

the reason i require a low capacity output is for my Jabra wireless earphones, and i dont want to go ramming 2amp into their tiny 250mah battery and toasting it!!

That won't toast it. With Amps, your 'device' will only use as much as it needs, so whether its 1A or 100A it won't fry your device. Voltage is a whole different story, but all USB devices are 5v so no need to worry there.

I'm after a power bank but i can't seem to find one that fits my specification!

Id like one with 2 outputs, one seemingly high (around 2amp) and the other on the low side say around 200-500mah to simulate a non powered usb socket.

or is there such a thing as a Micro USB cable that limits the charger output?? like a mini transformer. the 5.5Hour battery life is the only issue stopping my jabras fully replacing my wired earphones.

i recommend the Patriot Fuel + works awesome I have since it first came out and still works great, ad for the high and lower charging it has a 1A and 2.5A charger but don't worry too much about the wireless earphone since they do have current regulators when charging where it only takes what it can and not the full 1A or 2.5A into the devices battery.

They come in Different Sizes to meet your needs:

http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/5692/patriot-fuel-6000mah-mobile-rechargeable-battery-review/index.html

Edited by W-L

That won't toast it. With Amps, your 'device' will only use as much as it needs, so whether its 1A or 100A it won't fry your device. Voltage is a whole different story, but all USB devices are 5v so no need to worry there.

from experience charging Lithium batteries with a too high of ampage results in fire!! i used to race remote control cars competitively, and a 5000mah lipo used to only last about 10mins in a race, so we used to fast charge them at 10amp so twice their capacity to charge them in half the time.. well net result I've burns on my hands, lots £1500 worth of car and a few hundred quids worth of batteries in a short period of time :P

Gaming PC: • AMD Ryzen 7 3900x • 16gb Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3200mhz • Founders Edition 2080ti • 2x Crucial 1tb nvme ssd • NZXT H1• Logitech G915TKL • Logitech G Pro • Asus ROG XG32VQ • SteelSeries Arctis Pro Wireless

Ok you cannot charge at 10Amps it will blow the battery like you had occur, in most cases Li-po or Li-ion batteries charge at around 0.5-1amp approx. charging rate

Edited by W-L

Ah, but that's because RC batteries are not regulated(the charger decides how much power it gets). With devices(phones, computers, headsets, etc.), the power goes into the device and gets distributed to different components. Before the charger reaches the battery, it has to go through a power regulator to prevent over charging(over volting, current limiting, etc.). This is why some devices see zero benefit from high amp chargers and why nobody worrys about lipo fires like the hobby guys(I don't see anybody charging phones in those fire bags lol). You will be fine using a high amp charger with your headset, there are many things put in place to prevent over charging like the RC stuff(consumers are the ones using this stuff, things have to be idiot proof). RC stuff is "hard core", since its enthusiasts that control the market(it would be boring otherwise lol).

i recommend the Patriot Fuel + works awesome I have since it first came out and still works great, ad for the high and lower charging it has a 1A and 2.5A charger but don't worry too much about the wireless earphone since they do have current regulators when charging where it only takes what it can and not the full 1A or 2.5A into the devices battery.

They come in Different Sizes to meet your needs:

http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/5692/patriot-fuel-6000mah-mobile-rechargeable-battery-review/index.html

ah that seems good! thanks!

ahhhh okies! makes sense! having almost burnt my house down I've always been cautious with batteries and the charger output but what you say makes perfect sense. thank you very much for your input :)