Is a "gaming laptop" a considerable choice as a new buyer?

PauseTheCat

It all starts with your knowledge in the computer department. If you don't know much about computers, what you might want, and what you will use it for then maybe you should choose a laptop considering it is portable, compact, and comes in an all in one package with an operating system installed, all of its parts put together, and no need for a keyboard, a monitor, and for some people even a mouse. However, if you are not planning on using a mouse, you won't be gaming anytime soon. Anyway, while all of that is great, many things are sacrificed. Performance for price, quality, and upgradability or customization. So, I suggest you consider what exactly you will need this computer for. If you need to move it a lot for things like school, choose a laptop. A desktop computer will be extremely difficult to move daily with its monitor and weight. But, if you keep it in one place it is probably the way to go with its performance for price, quality, and upgradability. I suggest you do a lot of research on what parts you will need and watch guide videos because they can be your best friend. A desktop computer will ultimately give you your bang for the buck rig and if you do your research it will give you good performance and make you happy.

You don't have to build your own desktop, there's prebuilt ones too. Although they aren't as good for your money as building your own, you still get more performance for your dollar then a gaming laptop if you don't need a machine to carry around. 

"Rawr XD"

This is a question or a statement?

Whats the point of this.. not getting it.

Laptop - if you need portability

Desktop - if you don't need portability.. 

Simples.

I don'T PreSS caPs.. I juST Hit THe keYboARd so HarD iT CriTs :P

Quote or @dzzope to get my attention..

It all starts with your knowledge in the computer department. If you don't know much about computers, what you might want, and what you will use it for then maybe you should choose a laptop considering it is portable, compact, and comes in an all in one package with an operating system installed, all of its parts put together, and no need for a keyboard, a monitor, and for some people even a mouse. However, if you are not planning on using a mouse, you won't be gaming anytime soon. Anyway, while all of that is great, many things are sacrificed. Performance for price, quality, and upgradability or customization. So, I suggest you consider what exactly you will need this computer for. If you need to move it a lot for things like school, choose a laptop. A desktop computer will be extremely difficult to move daily with its monitor and weight. But, if you keep it in one place it is probably the way to go with its performance for price, quality, and upgradability. I suggest you do a lot of research on what parts you will need and watch guide videos because they can be your best friend. A desktop computer will ultimately give you your bang for the buck rig and if you do your research it will give you good performance and make you happy.

This is in the wrong thread and I dont understand the point of this thread. It seems you are trying to give advice maybe?

Im so patriotic, I piss red white and blue. My doctor told me it was pancreatic cancer, I told him to SHUT HIS COMMIE MOUTH.

-A shotgun wielding redneck

Only go with the laptop if you really need to move the system here and there. Don't get a laptop to and end up 90%+ of the time stationary on your house, it's just not worth it.

I'm so confused on what this thread is asking/answering/stating. I'm guessing it's him answering the question in the thread title.

If you need portability then get a laptop. It's not bad. But building your own desktop will always give you the best price:performance ratio.

01101110 01101111 00100000 01101111 01101110 01100101 00100000 01101100 01101111 01110110 01100101 01110011 00100000 01111001 01101111 01110101

Main Rig: i7-4790K | Corsair H100i | Asus Z97 | 16GB Ripjaws | 4TB WD Black/512GB SSD | x2 R9 290x | NZXT H440 | HX1000i | 6 Noctuas   [spoiler=SILENT BUILD] Silent build: i5-4460, Be Quiet! Pure Rock, Asrock H97, 8GB HyperX, Samsung 850 Evo 500gb, MSI GTX 970, Be Quiet! Silent Base 800, EVGA Supernova GS 650w 

AMD CPU's. [spoiler=] thats right m8 get 420 no scoped 

In my opinion, there are more factors than just whether you need portability, which is the same thing I see everyone saying. How about space? Someone may want to game, but they have no space for a desktop in, for example, their apartment. A gaming laptop would be perfect for them