Is the iMac 5K overpriced? iMac 5k vs Windows setup price showdown

ANewFace

I was thinking, supposedly Apple PCs are becoming more price competitive these days. So I set out to see if the Retina 5K iMac was overpriced, so I build about the closest PC possible running Windows. I was copying the configuration of the iMac with a 4790K, 16gb of RAM, a 500gb flash SSD, and a M295X GPU. So here's the parts I chose.

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($324.88 @ OutletPC) 
Motherboard: Asus Z97-A ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($138.99 @ NCIX US) 
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon R9 290X 8GB Vapor-X Video Card  ($448.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Case: Corsair 450D ATX Mid Tower Case  ($97.99 @ Newegg) 
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit)  ($87.89 @ OutletPC) 
Monitor: Dell UP2715K 60Hz 27.0" Monitor  ($1979.99 @ Adorama) 
Total: $3488.00
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-04-02 17:27 EDT-0400

Now we needed the closest possible things, so I got a 4790K, the cheapest 16gb kit of RAM I have ever seen, and a R9 290X 8GB from Sapphire. We also needed a 5K screen for this, you have to remember a display is factored into the price of the iMac, so Dell had our only option. And I went and did some nice little touches like a 212 evo and a Corsair 450D, because the iMac has some nice looks so I wanted our PC to look somewhat good. Now it is possible to cut this price down a tad, by getting something like a cheaper motherboard, or case, or no cooling,  but I feel that this is pretty well setup.

To the conclusion, the Price of the iMac in this config is $3499, my setup is $3488. Now my setup will preform better do to the better cooling of the CPU, and better GPU, but you have to say that there is not much of a price premium. They spent money to get that form factor, and to build it (plus they include a mouse and keyboard. So if you ask me I would say that it is not overpriced, it is right in line of slightly over it's windows equivalent. So guys what do you think about Apple and their prices let me know.

My Rig:  CPU: Core i7 4790K @4.8ghz  Motherboard: Asus Maximus Vii Hero  Ram: 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 2400mhz (Red)  Cooling: Corsair H105, 2x Corsair SP120 High Preformance Editions, Corsair AF 140 Quiet Edition  PSU: Corsair RM 850  GPU: EVGA GTX 980 SC ACX 2.0  Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB, WD Blue 1TB  Case Corsair 760t (Black)  Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Chroma  Mouse: Razer Deathadder Chroma  Headset: ATH-M50X Mic: Blue Yeti Blackout

It haz a 5K moniteur so................ wait what?

Yeah. (OS X sucks anyway)

You also have a better screen than the iMac, since the iMac display is only 8-bit (colors) and the actual Dell screen is 10-bit.

Yeah, it's kinda overpriced, but compared to other Apple products not so much tbh

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Now consider that you could have gotten a cheaper case, a cheaper psu, a cheaper motherboard and the cooler isnt really needed unless you want to overclock. That should shave some money off for next to no performance loss.

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

You also have a better screen than the iMac, since the iMac display is only 8-bit (colors) and the actual Dell screen is 10-bit.

Yeah, it's kinda overpriced, but compared to other Apple products not so much tbh

Like I said slightly, but it's at the point where I wouldn't feel bad to spend that price 

My Rig:  CPU: Core i7 4790K @4.8ghz  Motherboard: Asus Maximus Vii Hero  Ram: 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 2400mhz (Red)  Cooling: Corsair H105, 2x Corsair SP120 High Preformance Editions, Corsair AF 140 Quiet Edition  PSU: Corsair RM 850  GPU: EVGA GTX 980 SC ACX 2.0  Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB, WD Blue 1TB  Case Corsair 760t (Black)  Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Chroma  Mouse: Razer Deathadder Chroma  Headset: ATH-M50X Mic: Blue Yeti Blackout

Now consider that you could have gotten a cheaper case, a cheaper psu, a cheaper motherboard and the cooler isnt really needed unless you want to overclock. That should shave some money off for next to no performance loss.

I mentioned that

It haz a 5K moniteur so................ wait what?

osx doesnt suck, first of all

and secondly, it really isnt too far overpriced, yeh sure its a 5K monitor, but the computer kinda comes with that........

and ffs half the people that reply to this thread and going to comment with the mindset of a gaming machine, people need to take their heads out of their asses and realize, different people use different machines for different purposes

they also have different likes, and different budgets...

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

If I can't afford it is is overpriced

Edit: /s

CPU: G3258 @ 4GHz GPU: Gigabyte GTX 960 OC RAM: 8GB G.Skill DDR3 1600 SSD: Corsair LS 120GB Case: Antec GX500 Mouse: Logitech G402 Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Headphones: Shure SRH440 Microphone: That Zalman Zm-Mic1 that everyone recommends but noone uses

Remember when the R9 280 was the HD 7950? Pepperidge Farm remembers.  

Running two AMD Cards: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCwn1NTK-50

We've know this for a while, it's pretty cheap for what it is

Specs: 4790k | Asus Z-97 Pro Wifi | MX100 512GB SSD | NZXT H440 Plastidipped Black | Dark Rock 3 CPU Cooler | MSI 290x Lightning | EVGA 850 G2 | 3x Noctua Industrial NF-F12's

Bought a powermac G5, expect a mod log sometime in 2015

Corsair is overrated, and Anime is ruined by the people who watch it

Like I said slightly, but it's at the point where I wouldn't feel bad to spend that price 

I still would feel bad :P

osx doesnt suck, first of all

and secondly, it really isnt too far overpriced, yeh sure its a 5K monitor, but the computer kinda comes with that........

and ffs half the people that reply to this thread and going to comment with the mindset of a gaming machine, people need to take their heads out of their asses and realize, different people use different machines for different purposes

OSX sucks IMO ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

And I'm not talking gaming, but just really for everything...

It just feel so slow and, this is hard to explain, it feels like everything takes so much effort to get done. I dont think Adobe stuff is better on OSX vs. Windows.

I did make a reply without gaming in mind, because:

a. you dont want OSX for gaming.

b. you dont want a Mac for gaming, because multiple other reasons.

But you have to keep in mind this panel 'only' has 8-bit colors and the Dell panel has 10-bit panel.

You can't really compare them like that.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Eh.... there 5k imac isn't horribly overpriced.... But take there macbook pro. A 2.5ghz i5, 4gb of RAM and a 500GB HDD is 1.5k.

then go over to lenovo, and pickup a Y50 touch and get a  i7-4710HQ, 16GB of 1600mhz RAM, gtx960M, and a 512GB SSD for about the same price.

Now you do have to take in build quality. The macpro is sexy, and it is built well. I don't know much about the Y50 but lenovo does pretty well with looks, and quality. but... 2x maybe more performance for the same price? I think I will take something that is ugly but functional.

Is it bad that my dream setup only costs a few thousand not counting the obutto?

CPU: FX-8320

Motherboard: asrock 970Pro3 r2.0

Memory: Team Zeus Blue 8GB DDR3-1600 Memory 

Video Card: Sapphire Radeon R9 280 3GB DUAL-X Video Card 

Case: Deepcool TESSERACT BF ATX Mid Tower Case  

Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply  

SSD: MX100 128GB

HDD: WD 2TB black edition

I still would feel bad :P

OSX sucks IMO ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

And I'm not talking gaming, but just really for everything...

It just feel so slow and, this is hard to explain, it feels like everything takes so much effort to get done. I dont think Adobe stuff is better on OSX vs. Windows.

I did make a reply without gaming in mind, because:

a. you dont want OSX for gaming.

b. you dont want a Mac for gaming, because multiple other reasons.

But you have to keep in mind this panel 'only' has 8-bit colors and the Dell panel has 10-bit panel.

You can't really compare them like that.

the dell monitor itself costs as much as the imac, without the computer...

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

the dell monitor itself costs as much as the imac, without the computer...

The Dell monitor is 1990 USD and the base iMac is 2500 USD.

That's an iMac with an i5 rather than an i7 (that adds 250 USD), with 8GB RAM (going to 16GB at Apple's site adds 200 USD) and the GPU is an R9 M290X, rather than R9 M295X. The M290X 'only' has 2GB VRAM and the M295X has 4GB VRAM. (which adds 250 USD).

So... Dell screen: 1.990 USD.

iMac:  3.329 USD

That's a 1339 USD difference, with which you can make a beast PC that does not thermal throttle as much as that iMac does.

It might not be as overpriced as many other Apple products, but it certainly does feel very overpriced.

EDIT: OP included the Dell monitor in his build by the way.

Comparasions like this always ingore one major thing: Warrenty.

Especially if you use the PC for work having warrenty on the entire system compared to every part alone is a huge advantage if you rely on the system and is worth a lot.

Lets just put it this way. All Macs are overpriced.

“When life gives you lemons, don’t make lemonade. Make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don’t want your damn lemons, what the hell am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life’s manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I’m the man who’s gonna burn your house down! With the lemons! I’m gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!”

- Cave Johnson, founder and CEO of Aperture Science, in Portal 2

I heard the M295X GPU is as powerful as a R9 280, so yours is more powerful

Follow the topics you create using the "Follow" button in the top right corner!

One day I will have my GTX 970. One day. PC specs are at my profile.

Not sure how to check what part works with what? Check out my compatibility guide!

While you could go with the cheapest, when doing a cross platform comparison, I think it is best to do average or most popular price for products. The parts he listed are very much in line with that, some are a little over the top by $10 or so. Nothing major,but the only thing that does make the value close is the screen. And well, that still is fair it should also be noted that if you went with a slightly lower res screen you could save a crap ton and avoid massive scaling issues.

I'd say it's priced a little higher than i'd feel comfortable spending on it. If it was say.. $2,999.99 or something close, It'd be perfect. I'm glad they're starting to be a little more reasonable.

Heaven's Society - Like Anime? Check us Out Here!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For gaming yes.For Content creation No.

9590|EK-Copper|Sabertooth 990FXR2.0|16GB RIPJAWS Z|Dual MSI Gaming 290|Corsiar AX1200i|Corsair 760T|3TB Seagate+Dual 120GB Samsung 850EVO in Raid 0

LTT'S Official Radeon Master Race Club Founder-Predicts TitanX2 (Prediction Date: 3-30-15)

XFX Needs To Make A 3 Fan Cooler 

I don't want my computer thermal throttling for ANY reason, and with the abysmal cooling on the iMac, it just doesn't do it for me. and why would you put a K part in there when it has no OC support, let alone the necessary VRM system to do it in the first place

the mobile 290x is NOWHERE near the desktop 290x

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

It only sucks if one hasn't used it correctly. I personally like it myself, but this is subjective.

ON A 7 MONTH BREAK FROM THESE LTT FORUMS. WILL BE BACK ON NOVEMBER 5th.

Advisor in the 'Displays' Sub-forum | Sony Vegas Pro Enthusiast & Advisor

Tech Tips Christian Fellowship Founder & Coordinator 

also the 290x Tri-X is about $140 cheaper..

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

If I can't afford it is is overpriced

Seriously :huh:? LOL

I don't want my computer thermal throttling for ANY reason, and with the abysmal cooling on the iMac, it just doesn't do it for me. and why would you put a K part in there when it has no OC support, let alone the necessary VRM system to do it in the first place

He put the i7 4790K CPU in there because, if you go and have a look yourself, the 5K iMac does actually use the i7 4790K. Ridiculous? Yeah, I know, but I think Apple did that just so they could have a 5K iMac running @ 4GHz on the CPU. It is a waste in my humble opinion.

ON A 7 MONTH BREAK FROM THESE LTT FORUMS. WILL BE BACK ON NOVEMBER 5th.

Advisor in the 'Displays' Sub-forum | Sony Vegas Pro Enthusiast & Advisor

Tech Tips Christian Fellowship Founder & Coordinator 

also the 290x Tri-X is about $140 cheaper..

I know but we need the 8GB of VRAM, we are driving a 5K screen