Gigabyte dethrone Asus in sales of motherboard

brownninja97

I said "A good board can make a difference between a stable system and a possible camp fire...". 

I didn't specify which board is good or bad. 

I said M5A97 for 6 cores with OC in mind.

https://spreadsheets.google.com/spreadsheet/pub?key=0AgN1D79Joo7tdE9xMUFlMEVWeFhuckJEVF9aMmtpUFE&gid=4

Here, read, have some fun.

If you picked up an FX 8370 and you didn't OC...then you bought that CPU for nothing. That's where FXs have get their value from. The performance increase may not be astronomic, but the ability to squeeze out as much performance as you can for the price you paid is one of the selling points of CPUs with unlocked multiplier, especially the FXs.

How long have you had the system running?

The reason I went with AMD is because I already had that M5A97. Have tried some OCing in the past but ill take another crack at it.

My system has been running since January 2015.

In case you want the rest of the specs:

• CPU
    AMD FX 8370
  • Motherboard
    Asus M5A97 R2.0
  • RAM
    G.SKILL Ares Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3 2133
  • GPU
    Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming (OC 1583Mhz)
  • Case
    NZXT H440 (Blue)
  • Storage
    Samsung 840 EVO 250GB + 1TB WD Caviar Blue 7200RPM
  • PSU
    XFX 650W Semi-Modular
  • Cooling
    Swiftech H220X

Project Cobalt: 

CPU: AMD FX 8370 Motherboard:

Asus M5A97 R2.0

RAM: G.Skill Ares 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 2133 GPU:

Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming Case: NZXT H440 (Blue)

Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 256GB +  2x 1TB WD Cavier Blue

PSU: Corsair 750G2 

CPU Cooler: Swiftech H220X

Keyboard: Model M + a lot of others 

Mouse: Logitech G502

Vintage Gaming PC: AMD Athlon T-Bird 800Mhz, Gainward nVidia Ti200 128MB, 512MB Crucial RAM DDR, Compaq ASPEN 2 OEM Board, Soundblaster Live! 5.1, Windows 98SE

eh

ok

My Build: 4690k @ 4.7 GHz, ASUS Strix 970 @ 1316 MHz, H105, Corsair Vengeance Pro @ 1600 MHz, H440, RM750

You really are asking for trouble using that board even with a 8320, ive come into a number of those boards breaking, normally vrm wets itself

snip

Well as an update OCing on this board is a train wreck. I used AMD Overdrive (IK its not the best but it works) and even 4.4Ghz no matter the voltage is unstable.

And the FX 8370's stock boost is 4.3 :L

Im no expert on CPU OCing but that seems pretty bad in the scheme of things. For some reason I couldn't adjust the multiplier even with d.o.c.p enabled or manual mode in the tweaker settings as well.

Seems I am completely unable to take advantage of the 8370.

Looks like it will be staying at 4.0Ghz :(

At least my GTX 970 is a beast @ 1583Mhz :)

Project Cobalt: 

CPU: AMD FX 8370 Motherboard:

Asus M5A97 R2.0

RAM: G.Skill Ares 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 2133 GPU:

Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming Case: NZXT H440 (Blue)

Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 256GB +  2x 1TB WD Cavier Blue

PSU: Corsair 750G2 

CPU Cooler: Swiftech H220X

Keyboard: Model M + a lot of others 

Mouse: Logitech G502

Vintage Gaming PC: AMD Athlon T-Bird 800Mhz, Gainward nVidia Ti200 128MB, 512MB Crucial RAM DDR, Compaq ASPEN 2 OEM Board, Soundblaster Live! 5.1, Windows 98SE

Why don't you try using the BIOS? OC Softwares are kinda messy since you're modifying settings that are used by windows, while in windows so some errors may occur.

Anyways I don't recommend it. Since you have an AIO, you probably don't have any airflow in the VRM heatsink part of the board, and that thing gets pretty hot. 

And as I said, you're making fun of that CPU leaving it at stock, but in this case, you really can't try and OC.

MARS_PROJECT V2 --- RYZEN RIG

Spoiler

CPU: R5 1600 @3.7GHz 1.27V | Cooler: Corsair H80i Stock Fans@900RPM | Motherboard: Gigabyte AB350 Gaming 3 | RAM: 8GB DDR4 2933MHz(Vengeance LPX) | GPU: MSI Radeon R9 380 Gaming 4G | Sound Card: Creative SB Z | HDD: 500GB WD Green + 1TB WD Blue | SSD: Samsung 860EVO 250GB  + AMD R3 120GB | PSU: Super Flower Leadex Gold 750W 80+Gold(fully modular) | Case: NZXT  H440 2015   | Display: Dell P2314H | Keyboard: Redragon Yama | Mouse: Logitech G Pro | Headphones: Sennheiser HD-569

I'll still stick with Asus, I've had great experience with them and I like their boards a lot more. Plus most of my hardware is Asus. :)

Same here. Also I find their UEFI and software superior to the competition.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3800X Motherboard: MSI B550 Tomahawk RAM: Kingston HyperX Predator RGB 32 GB (4x8GB) DDR4 GPU: EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 SSD: ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 512 GB NVME | Samsung QVO 1TB SSD  HDD: Seagate Barracuda 4TB | Seagate Barracuda 8TB Case: Phanteks ECLIPSE P600S PSU: Corsair RM850x

I am a gamer, not because I don't have a life, but because I choose to have many.

I'll stick with ASUS, I went out and bought an MSI Gaming Z97 ITX, which fried my CPU and itself. I returned the MSI for a Refund and got me an ASUS VII Impact then RMA'd the CPU (BTW the Intel RMA is classes ahead of everyone, they came from my house picked it up with DHL and had a new CPU in 3 Days delivered to my door AND it came from another country)

Although I have seen only good things from Gigabyte i find their products uninspiring, so I will stick with ASUS until they disappoint me.

//Case: Phanteks 400 TGE //Mobo: Asus x470-F Strix //CPU: R5 2600X //CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i v2 //RAM: G-Skill RGB 3200mhz //HDD: WD Caviar Black 1tb //SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 250Gb //GPU: GTX 1050 Ti //PSU: Seasonic MII EVO m2 520W

wouldnt the solution just be to read reviews.

the reviews were all done with the unlocked card. there still isn't any reviews of the voltage locked card.

Rig 1 CPU: 3570K Motherboard: V Gene GPU: Power Color r9 280x at 1.35GHZ  RAM: 16 GB 1600mhz PSU: Cougar CMX 700W Storage: 1x Plexor M5S 256GB 1x 1TB HDD 1x 3TB GREEN HDD Case: Coolermaster HAFXB Cooling: Intel Watercooler
"My day so far, I've fixed 4 computers and caught a dog. Australian Tech Industry is weird."

"It's bent so far to the right, It's a hook."

wouldnt the solution just be to read reviews.

Sometimes they`re a bit misleading. I found usually the best grades are given to products which are ``idiot`` proof moreso than actually better. 

Intel 4790 K - R9 295X2 - Gigabyte Z97-SLI - Corsair Vengeance Pro Black 1866 CAL9 - Corsair HX 1000 -Samsung 850 EVO SSD - Samsung HDD - H100I - Corsair C70 - G400 Logitech - Asus VS247H - WASD custom mechanical and QCKPAD! 

Staples of LTT: Getting an 4690 K will resurrect your lost family members, AMD = More heat thus AMD = Satan. 

I do like how Asus doesn't waste time with Killer NICs on their high end boards. Most of GB higher end lineup is rotten with Killer NICs.

Asus does have total shit for RMA service and they need to dump red on the ROG boards.

MSI makes real good stuff, the M series line is awesome but  they force Killer NIC and red color schemes, 2 things I hate.

Asrock seems like its making good stuff but haven't used them in a long long time.  Would love to see them dump the dumb Fatal1ty line and build a high end mobo with the blue heat sinks with high end audio and Intel NIC

Just my 2 cents 

Good for Gigabyte :) I've had a few Gigabyte boards and an Asus board, and I would definitely say I prefer Gigabyte.

Loving my GA-Z97X-SOC! :D

// irenebb-pc v5 // [] Intel i5-9400F [] Radeon VII Lisa Su Edition [] 24GB Crucial Ballistix [] Acer ED323QUR (1440p/144hz) []

I do like how Asus doesn't waste time with Killer NICs on their high end boards. Most of GB higher end lineup is rotten with Killer NICs.

Asus does have total shit for RMA service and they need to dump red on the ROG boards.

MSI makes real good stuff, the M series line is awesome but they force Killer NIC and red color schemes, 2 things I hate.

Asrock seems like its making good stuff but haven't used them in a long long time. Would love to see them dump the dumb Fatal1ty line and build a high end mobo with the blue heat sinks with high end audio and Intel NIC

Just my 2 cents

Gigabyte black edition uses Intel nic

Well not for me as I have legit reasons and the cards I have bought from other companies have worked out just fine over the years so no need for me to change things.

Asus should be off, tgeor warranty is terrible and Tgeir amd coolers sucked.

Take off Zotac because theyre fugly.

Take off everyone else cuz they aint in 'murica

FANBOY OF: PowerColor, be quiet!, Transcend, G.Skill, Phanteks

FORMERLY FANBOY OF: A-Data, Corsair, Nvidia

DEVELOPING FANBOY OF: AMD (GPUS), Intel (CPUs), ASRock

I never liked ASUS in my whole ~7y career in tech support

unless a customer specifically asked a ASUS mobo, I didn't sold one; they're odd bunch with very odd problems

even worse, the MSI - absolutely refused to sell one, even if the customer specifically asked

just to give you an idea why I like GigaByte, on my own system I run a GA-X38-DS5 mobo that's what .. 7y old? with a GTX970

you can find a lot of cases with newer generation mobos that straight up refuse to boot with a PCIe gen 3 video card