AT M50x's with ModMic + AMP/DAC or ?

CvrPaddyCvr

Hey guys, looking to replace my Astro A40's with mixamp for something that sounds a bit better. I feel like my A40's aren't loud enough as I have everything turned to the max when using them on my PC. 

Was having a look at : 

Was just wondering if you guys think this would be decent for casual gaming + listening to music + teamspeak?

Might I also add I have a Xonar DGX soundcard in my PC, just in-case some of you don't think I need the FiiO

Any help is appreciated, thanks!

You have everything turned to max? How's that hearing damage working for you?

You have everything turned to max? How's that hearing damage working for you?

That's the thing, it's not that loud. I mean on Spotify it can get pretty loud but honestly it's really not that loud compared to other headphones I have listened to. I don't know if it's because my Astro headset is newer than my mixamp (which has a mic problem meaning I have to have the volume on 0 in windows). 

So, I would like a new audio setup to be honest, I love my Astro headset for the comfort etc but honestly it's not the greatest.

Any help would be appreciated! Cheers

That's the thing, it's not that loud. I mean on Spotify it can get pretty loud but honestly it's really not that loud compared to other headphones I have listened to. I don't know if it's because my Astro headset is newer than my mixamp (which has a mic problem meaning I have to have the volume on 0 in windows). 

So, I would like a new audio setup to be honest, I love my Astro headset for the comfort etc but honestly it's not the greatest.

Any help would be appreciated! Cheers

Yeah music appearing not that loud is a sure sign of hearing damage.

I cannot be held responsible for any bad advice given.

I've no idea why the world is afraid of 3D-printed guns when clearly 3D-printed crossbows would be more practical for now.

My rig: The StealthRay. Plans for a newer, better version of its mufflers are already being made.

Yeah music appearing not that loud is a sure sign of hearing damage.

Looks like you did not even bother reading his posts?

Curing shitposts by shitposts

Looks like you did not even bother reading his posts?

Looks like my sense of humour isn't appreciated very much.

I cannot be held responsible for any bad advice given.

I've no idea why the world is afraid of 3D-printed guns when clearly 3D-printed crossbows would be more practical for now.

My rig: The StealthRay. Plans for a newer, better version of its mufflers are already being made.

Seems a good setup,
If you have a dgx, i would just buy a good amp.
But then again, those headphones are "only" 38Ohms, so they don't need a lot of power.

Don't know how much better sound you are going to get with that Fiio over the DGX

From the start:

- DGX's headphone amp is on the front audio jack, not the rear. I had DG in the past, it should be the same

- Try bypassing the mixamp altogether, so plug the connector straight to the front audio jack 

- Astro's connector appears to be 4 poles (from the website). To make sure it's working properly, mic and all, you'd need a simple headset adapter (not splitter). Just order one off amazon.

Seems a good setup,
If you have a dgx, i would just buy a good amp.
But then again, those headphones are "only" 38Ohms, so they don't need a lot of power.

Don't know how much better sound you are going to get with that Fiio over the DGX

Fun fact: to get to the same 110dB loudness, the Hifiman HE-6 50 ohms needs 74.5x more power than the Beyerdynamic T1 600 ohms. 447mA vs 6mA. Huh, imagine that....

From the start:

- DGX's headphone amp is on the front audio jack, not the rear. I had DG in the past, it should be the same

- Try bypassing the mixamp altogether, so plug the connector straight to the front audio jack 

- Astro's connector appears to be 4 poles (from the website). To make sure it's working properly, mic and all, you'd need a simple headset adapter (not splitter). Just order one off amazon.

Fun fact: to get to the same 110dB loudness, the Hifiman HE-6 50 ohms needs 74.5x more power than the Beyerdynamic T1 600 ohms. 447mA vs 6mA. Huh, imagine that....

lol dit not expect that fun fact, electronics, some complicated shit.

And indeed try plugging you're headphones in the front panel jack and open the control panel, switch it to FP headphones and click on the hammer thing right of that box.

You should get three options, try the "Exciter mode". The build in AMP is not the same as a really good one, but it does the job.

Thanks for all the replies so far guys!

Just to let you guys know, I bought Astro's back in 2010 with the mixamp, then I purchased the newer headset in 2013. I have tried using the 4 pole and 3.5mm with a breakout cable.

I think I might just order these now so they get here tomorrow.

So, do you think the M50x's are worth it? Or should I get something more expensive/cheaper?

Thanks! 

lol dit not expect that fun fact, electronics, some complicated shit.

And indeed try plugging you're headphones in the front panel jack and open the control panel, switch it to FP headphones and click on the hammer thing right of that box.

You should get three options, try the "Exciter mode". The build in AMP is not the same as a really good one, but it does the job.

Not that complicated. It's just the fact that HE-6 got sensitivity of 83.5dB/mW, while T1 got 102dB/mW. T1 is a lot more sensitive, thus needs much less power. Here's a light reading: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/290749-the-impedance-ballad-image-heavy/

Right, just about to order these, is it worth getting the FiiO? Or should I see how it sounds on my DGX then go from there?

Thanks

Thanks for all the replies so far guys!

Just to let you guys know, I bought Astro's back in 2010 with the mixamp, then I purchased the newer headset in 2013. I have tried using the 4 pole and 3.5mm with a breakout cable.

I think I might just order these now so they get here tomorrow.

So, do you think the M50x's are worth it? Or should I get something more expensive/cheaper?

Thanks! 

I'm a fan (one of many) of the ATH-Mxxxx line.  The 50/50x in particular is a great set of cans, especially for closed back.  With the FiiO the M50X should be able to make you permanently deaf at full volume.

Others here will recommend the ATH-M40X because it's cheaper and still retains much of the same quality and features.  If you decide to look at the M40X and can use a pair of powered monitor speakers too, this deal is too good not to check out:  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/338300-usa-ath-m40x-mackie-monitors-12995/

Instead of the Fiio you might consider this as it should perform quite well with the ATH and it would give you a MIC IN with easy access for your antlion:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Syba-24-Bit-96KHz-Headphone-Amplifier/dp/B009WN7QT4

System: i5 6600K@3.6 GHz, Gigabyte Z170XP SLI, 2x8 Corsair DDR 3000, Corsair Hydro H60i cooler, Rosewill CAPSTONE 750w Gold PSU, 1x 512GB SSD, 1x 2TB 7200RPM, Windows 10 Pro x64
Display: XFX R9 390 DD, triple 1920x1200 24" HP monitors (5760x1200 @ 60Hz)   Sound: Audio-gd NFB-11 -> AKG K7XX or 2.1 speaker system

Others here will recommend the ATH-M40X because it's cheaper and still retains much of the same quality and features.  

Aww you read my mind. 

l-Aww-He-Really-Likes-Me.jpg