Vessel so far

Itereus

Greetings. Lets discuss our experiences with Vessel so far. I joined on the 24th, with the free promo from LTT. I ran the videos on a 1920x1200 screen, with side-by-side video comparison on the same monitor.

A shaky start when I joined, with bad options with regards to the video quality, which I'm happy to see has been fixed, although a bit more info on the resolution the various options means would be welcome. Would like to see the cursor disappear, not really a problem for me as I can hide it on one of the other monitors, but for people with a single monitor it could become annoying.

Compared to YouTube, I find the videos a lot better to be honest, it just seems like there's more clarity to them on Vessel, did a side-by-side comparison today, and I could tell there was a difference, although I'm not sure yet if it's due to the interface (with Vessel being all black in the background) or bias for whatever reason. YouTube's videos just looks washed out in comparison

It's weird to right-click instead of left-clicking to pause videos, although the hold-to-pause with the left click is great, especially if you have a room mate.

Performance wise, Vessel seems to be ahead, even on 4k (is there even a point without a 4k monitor?) on YouTube looks worse than High on Vessel, with YouTube using twice as much CPU as Vessel. Can't tell about network usage though, as I don't have proper tools to test that at the moment.

All in all, I enjoy watching videos on Vessel, with the improved quality on videos. Anyone else with the same experience or a different one?

Stoke me a clipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

vessel looks worse than youtube wtf?

no 1080p as far as i can tell, or 60fps

did veseel/youtube compare on 1080p blind test, with my friend, i picked youtube 8/10 times

50inch 1080p tv

at 4k YouTube everytime (compassion reasons i tried )

i still prefer youtube, the experience is still better in my opinion on youtube + free in long term

I don't think it's quite where it needs to be yet, but its a platform in its infancy, and taking that into account, it's doing very well. I'm happy with my experience so far, so long as it continues to improve :) 

CPU: 5930K @ 4.5GHz | GPU: Zotac GTX 980Ti AMP! Extreme edition @ 1503MHz/7400MHz | RAM: 16GB Corsair Dom Plat @ 2667MHz CAS 13 | Motherboard: Asus X99 Sabertooth | Boot Drive: 400GB Intel 750 Series NVMe SSD | PSU: Corsair HX1000i | Monitor: Dell U2713HM 1440p monitor

I think people are only hating it cuz it's a change and people don't like changes.

Personally, I enjoyed Vessel since Linus told us it exists. It's good enough, not super awesome but okay. Even though I sometimes have streaming problems watching videos there it works most time.

It doesn't have enough content, it isn't refined enough, and it's not convenient to look at both it and youtube.

Specs: 4790k | Asus Z-97 Pro Wifi | MX100 512GB SSD | NZXT H440 Plastidipped Black | Dark Rock 3 CPU Cooler | MSI 290x Lightning | EVGA 850 G2 | 3x Noctua Industrial NF-F12's

Bought a powermac G5, expect a mod log sometime in 2015

Corsair is overrated, and Anime is ruined by the people who watch it

My biggest problem with Vessel by far is that when they designed the website they tried way too hard to make it stylish instead of making it functional / practical.

In regard to the mouse problem, if you put your mouse in the bottom right corner of your screen when you are in fullscreen mode you don't see it.

Some people have been complaining about vessel but I haven't had any problems with it. I like getting content early, and now I use vessel for about a third of my video consumption (LTT, =3, Unbox Therapy)

CPU: AMD FX-6300 4GHz @ 1.3 volts | CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO | RAM: 8GB DDR3

Motherboard: Gigabyte 970A-DS3P | GPU: EVGA GTX 960 SSC | SSD: 250GB Samsung 850 EVO

HDD: 1TB WD Caviar Green | Case: Fractal Design Core 2500 | OS: Windows 10 Home

I think people need to stop expecting it to be a polished platform. It is  not even a year old where as youtube has had 10 years to improve.

My article on subscription based services and why they are the way forward http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/382625-what-the-future-holds/

I'm not overly fond of the seemingly low quality streaming. And that you had to select a bunch of stuff that I have absolutely no interest in on sign-up. Undid it after it was set-up but I still have to scroll bunch a past of weird channels before I get to Linus. Still, pet-peeves. Generally pleased. 

I am happy for linus to get the money he deserves from views and and such but vessel has not impressed me thus far to pay for it or use it as a daily video source. that said, Ill still use youtube and wait for content to arrive on youtube over the need to watch it first on vessel. 

CM Storm Switch Tester MOD (In-Progress) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/409147-cm-storm-switch-tester-macro-mod/

Ammo Can Speaker 02 (Completed) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/283826-ammo-can-speakers-02/       A/B Switch V 0.5 (Completed) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/362417-ab-switch-v0

Build 01 - The Life of a Prodigy -  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/13103-build-01-the-life-of-a-prodigy/             Build 02 - Silent Server 3000 - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/116670-build-02-silent-server-3000/

I like it yah I'd like higher rez on it but its new and it will come down the pipe some day. Right now all I want from them is an android app.

Brony for LIFE!!!

/)^3^(\ RD FTW
Daily carry: HTC one M8, pebbe steel PBD, nexus 7 2013

Looking at the websites function over form design and it's horrendous video quality...I'd frankly rather just wait for the Youtube version to come out.  Linus and the guys put so much effort into filming, editing, and color correcting the videos, to only be ruined by Vessels terrible player, Youtube rapes video quality enough as it is.

AD2000x Review  Fitear To Go! 334 Review

Speakers - KEF LSX

Headphones - Sennheiser HD650, Kumitate Labs KL-Lakh

I think vessel is ok, but the overall Interface just doesn't make much sense to me. Still haven't gotten into the habit of checking it everyday like I do with youtube. Sorry vessel, but seeing videos A day early just isn't enough to win me over.

Will Barnes

Radeon Master Race Club Member

I watched in 1080p but i wish there was 4k support.Vessal is better then youtube and I would be happy to pay for a paid supscription.The layout is amazing.4k support would be nice...At least 1440p

9590|EK-Copper|Sabertooth 990FXR2.0|16GB RIPJAWS Z|Dual MSI Gaming 290|Corsiar AX1200i|Corsair 760T|3TB Seagate+Dual 120GB Samsung 850EVO in Raid 0

LTT'S Official Radeon Master Race Club Founder-Predicts TitanX2 (Prediction Date: 3-30-15)

XFX Needs To Make A 3 Fan Cooler 

My experience so far has been terrible. Sometimes videos play fine, but most of the time they have to buffer a lot and stutter often. If it ever wants to get any money out of me it needs to provide a better experience than YouTube, and so far its just been worse.

I personally Dont like vessel.

Here is why:

There's always a point where it becomes YouTube. On YouTube, you sit there and and sit there, and then finally your favorite youtuber has uploaded their new video. Congratulations, you're in the 301+ club(301 club doesn't matter, just funny) so, you watch said video, and you're satisfied. Time to wait till tommorow to watch more? Right? Why not watch other videos by that person? You're all caught up. Just waiting on the new stuff.

Vessel is the same thing. You watch all the videos, wait for the new one to come up, feverishly masturbate while you watch it, and then wait until the next day for the next one. Only difference is: this time you're paying for it. (Ltt thing excluded) its just YouTube with a price tag attached. Nothing more. You may get new videos sooner than YouTube, but you're still waiting on them.

G3258 V 860k (Spoiler: G3258 wins)

Spoiler

i7-4790K | MSI R9 390x | Cryorig H5 | MSI Z97 Gaming 7 Motherboard | G.Skill Sniper 8gbx2 1600mhz DDR3 | Corsair 300R | WD Green 2TB 2.5" 5400RPM drive | <p>Corsair RM750 | Logitech G602 | Corsair K95 RGB | Logitech Z313

Using the website is ok, but using the ipad app kinda sucks, which it tries to force you to if using the ipad I have a hard time loading and playing videos, not a problem on YouTube. I haven't really looked, but is there a resolution setting that one can select?

I was kinda dissapointed with the move (change I guess), but it made a lot of sense to me especially after some further contemplation. The Vessel service still needs to work out the kinks, with the free membership I look forward to seeing how things turn out. There are penty of other creators that I like that have moved to Vessel, if the service improves I will think about buying in.

I get the point of Vessel too. Better content has higher costs. But like some above posters have inferred, getting this done on YouTube would be a difficult battle.

Started watching the WAN archive in Vessel.. then promptly switched to YouTube because of the handy-dandy time comments.

Vessel is also a pain in the arse if I want low quality stream rather than forced HD.

Yeah, till now: low quality stream, tends to lag every now and then, really hard to navigate and figure out which video I want to watch.

If youtube would cost more then vessel I would still go for youtube atm. Could be vessel will change in the future. Guess only time will tell...

And they don't have android support which really sucks as I watch most video's on my phone  :P.

Sticking with youtube here B)  

My main issue with vessel is that you can't click on the video (annotated links) so really the experience is worse since all the videos are obviously designed to work with youtube and you lose that functionality.

Also my subscriber feed is filling up with unwatched videos which may affect what youtube gives me?...

i5 3570K @ 4.0 GHz, GTX 670, 16GB 1600 Ram, 128 GB Vertex 4, 480GB M500, 2TB RAID 0, 2 x 24" Monitors

WHY IS THERE NO SPEED UP BUTTON ON VESSEL

am i the only one bothered with this?

I checked vessle today and it seems I'm having problems with it.

My main browser is Chrome but when I checked the stie today I said I didn't have a subscription. 

Which is strange b/c I signed up and got the free year.

Seems how ever to work fine in Firefox.

So kind of PSA if your vessle isn't working try a different browser.

Also the Account button in chrome doesn't work at all.

So i've been testing vessel for a few weeks now, (since Linus announced the 72hour signup) and so far i am disappointed. I live in Australia, which means that my internet is by no means the best around, but it is good enough to play high definition videos on youtube. My main problem with vessel is that the video format is not efficient enough to be played at the highest quality on my connection, which frustrates me greatly. I do hope it will improve, but i dont hold much hope.

tl;dr Vessel isn't high enough quality, and the top quality is not possible to run smoothly on my connection.

Cheers,

Peregrin.