LGBT community

carguy86
5 minutes ago, Bleedingyamato said:

Idk what m8 means and I have even less idea what m8+1 could mean...  ?

Pronounced with a soft m (mmm) followed by a 9, it usually is used by people trying to achieve meme-status with their friends.

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

18 minutes ago, Bleedingyamato said:

Even 2013 TR needs more VRAM and GPU performance than a 960 has . 

Unless you turn down a bunch of settings.  Like the hair setting.  Apparently hair is rather GPU straining.  lol

Also, why not buy a 1080p monitor?  You can get a basic one for like $100 or so.  

Tomb Raider runs at 1080P on high settings including TressFX, with only a couple points breaking 60 fps. This is with +600 MHz on the VRAM, for an effective 8.2 GHz data rate. 

As for the monitor, this TV was a gift, and I have a Playstation 2 connected to it as well. In addition, with the exception of Skyrim, my gaming is done from bed. I'll have to keep it until It can hand it down to my sibling. 

In the future, I would like to jump straight to a 4K monitor, not necessarily for gaming (I'm under no delusion that the 960 can handle 4K gaming), but productivity and browsing tasks that benefit from it. In addition, when I do upgrade the GPU later down the road, I will have the display to take advantage of it. 

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

1 hour ago, Bleedingyamato said:

Even 2013 TR needs more VRAM and GPU performance than a 960 has.

...I played all of Tomb Raider on a 1GB Radeon HD 6850.  That said, it's minimum requirements is "DirectX 9 graphics card with 512Mb Video RAM: AMD Radeon HD 2600 XT, nVidia 8600." and a 960 outclasses that without issue.  In fact, of we go to the recommended specs; "DirectX 11 graphics card with 1GB Video RAM: AMD Radeon HD 5870  nVidia GTX 480"

I think you are grossly overstating Tomb Raider's requirements, note that the game was originally on the Xbox 360 and PS3.

29 minutes ago, Daring said:

Well, you're kinda on a tech forum and don't know what a memory bus is...

Think about how it's pronounced. I'll give you a hint, mate.

I'm a noob please don't kill me...  ?

I guess I was more confused about m9 meant.

25 minutes ago, TheRandomness said:

Pronounced with a soft m (mmm) followed by a 9, it usually is used by people trying to achieve meme-status with their friends.

So mmm 9 doesn't mean anything?

16 minutes ago, Zodiark1593 said:

Tomb Raider runs at 1080P on high settings including TressFX, with only a couple points breaking 60 fps. This is with +600 MHz on the VRAM, for an effective 8.2 GHz data rate. 

As for the monitor, this TV was a gift, and I have a Playstation 2 connected to it as well. In addition, with the exception of Skyrim, my gaming is done from bed. I'll have to keep it until It can hand it down to my sibling. 

In the future, I would like to jump straight to a 4K monitor, not necessarily for gaming (I'm under no delusion that the 960 can handle 4K gaming), but productivity and browsing tasks that benefit from it. In addition, when I do upgrade the GPU later down the road, I will have the display to take advantage of it. 

I'd run 2013 TR on my main desktop with a 6700K, 16GB DDR4, and a GTX 970.

I couldn't quite max out every setting at 1920x1080 and stay above 60fps at all times.  This was before I got my 1070.  

Though I didn't OC (don't know how) at all, idk what other settings you had on like AA since I think that affects fps a decent amount right?, and since I had maxed out everything the settings that could be were on ultra.  

So I assume the slightly lower settings and OC helped you get a good fps with a 960.  

When you say from bed do you mean consoles?

Why would you have to wait until you hand it down?

4K would be nice.  I want to get a 4K tv or monitor so I can watch 4K movies and play some pc games in 4K.  Perhaps newer games if I could afford a 1080 ti when one is released.  

11 minutes ago, Bleedingyamato said:

I'm a noob please don't kill me...  ?

I guess I was more confused about m9 meant.

So mmm 9 doesn't mean anything?

I'd run 2013 TR on my main desktop with a 6700K, 16GB DDR4, and a GTX 970.

I couldn't quite max out every setting at 1920x1080 and stay above 60fps at all times.  This was before I got my 1070.  

Though I didn't OC (don't know how) at all, idk what other settings you had on like AA since I think that affects fps a decent amount right?, and since I had maxed out everything the settings that could be were on ultra.  

So I assume the slightly lower settings and OC helped you get a good fps with a 960.  

When you say from bed do you mean consoles?

Why would you have to wait until you hand it down?

4K would be nice.  I want to get a 4K tv or monitor so I can watch 4K movies and play some pc games in 4K.  Perhaps newer games if I could afford a 1080 ti when one is released.  

I've a wireless controller for the PC, so certain games I could just sit back and play in bed. My PC is in the bedroom. I've also my Playstation 2 connected to the TV I'm using, until I find a permanent home for that, I'm not going for a proper monitor just yet (and no room for another). Unless, however, there is a 4K monitor that also accepts an analog Component input. 

For Tomb Raider, I was pretty sure I was using FXAA instead of SSAA, so that was probably what helped most with the frame rate. Hadn't played it in awhile though, or even finished it. It feels quite close to Uncharted, yet I find the puzzles to be lacking. I actually liked Tomb Raider Legend over the 2013 iteration. 

My eyes see the past…

20 minutes ago, TheRandomness said:

Can be used in place of m8 (mate, as in friend) if the situation is dank enough.

FTFY

Also, quit the on topic crap, this is off topic get to the non-nsfw bullshit /s 

My pc:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/dvcw23 

(Black Glacier)

My server:

Dual xeon x5679 processors, 24gb of ECC memory, Nvidia quadro 295 NVS and 48tb of storage.  (z600

8 minutes ago, AshleyAshes said:

...I played all of Tomb Raider on a 1GB Radeon HD 6850.  That said, it's minimum requirements is "DirectX 9 graphics card with 512Mb Video RAM: AMD Radeon HD 2600 XT, nVidia 8600." and a 960 outclasses that without issue.  In fact, of we go to the recommended specs; "DirectX 11 graphics card with 1GB Video RAM: AMD Radeon HD 5870  nVidia GTX 480"

I think you are grossly overstating Tomb Raider's requirements, note that the game was originally on the Xbox 360 and PS3.

Even the recommended specs aren't supposed to be enough to max out a game.  

My experience was that even using a 970 I came close but not quite getting at least 60 fps if I'm remembering right.  

Even with my 1070 I just ran the benchmark and the minimum is slightly under 60.

Spoiler

image.jpeg

So I don't feel that I'm overstating the requirements of the game.  Even if it was ported over to pc vs being made specifically for it in the first place it seems to need a decently powerful GPU to max all settings.  

Yes a 960 could still run it on a good settings I'm not disputing that.  

6 minutes ago, TheRandomness said:

Can be used in place of m8 (mate, as in friend) if the situation contains enough memes.

Oh.  Well I feel old.  People and memes and stuff I don't understand any of it...  ?

3 minutes ago, carguy86 said:

FTFY

Also, quit the on topic crap, this is off topic get to the non-nsfw bullshit /s 

Well I worked for the first time in like 5 days, it was pretty nice. Though I was pretty sad to find out that I only work 2 days next week as well. Hopefully the next schedule they start scheduling more. I left my previous job, in hopes of maybe making more money while having a more enjoyable job. If I'm not getting scheduled as much I'm making less than I could've at my previous job. Where I know I could rely on getting similarly sized cheques each pay period which If I was going to save for a car, is pretty important because of expenses that are associated with car ownership (insurance, gas, maintenance, etc.).

Since it is a new store and they might be overstaffed plus getting help from other locations, I am giving them the benefit of the doubt still but it's making me kinda sad I guess. It kinda throws off the timeframe for when I was hoping to finish off my PC build. There's still about $1000 in parts I wanted to buy, like I've only made about a $310 bite with 3 separate orders into the total cost of the build. I know I could've gone with far cheaper things but I didn't want to sacrifice aesthetic and function.

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

12 minutes ago, wrathoftheturkey said:

A couple of minutes later another guy comes up to St. Peter at the gates of Heaven. “What are you doing here?” St. Peter asks and the guy answers, “I don’t know! I was just sitting in a refrigerator, minding my own business…”

lolwat

Just now, Bleedingyamato said:

Even the recommended specs aren't supposed to be enough to max out a game.  

That's the amazing thing about those settings in PC games; you don't actually have to set them to max.  They can be set to something lower than the highest values and you can still enjoy a video game for it's mechanics and story.

But you have to remember, there's 'gamers' and then there are 'PC Enthusiasts'.

PC Enthusiasts don't use their equipment to listen to play video games.  PC Enthusiasts use video games to watch their PC builds run.

1 minute ago, wrathoftheturkey said:

At the beginning, he's looking for the dude who helped his wife cheat on him.

he looks everywhere but the fridge

ah

23 minutes ago, Zodiark1593 said:

I've a wireless controller for the PC, so certain games I could just sit back and play in bed. My PC is in the bedroom. I've also my Playstation 2 connected to the TV I'm using, until I find a permanent home for that, I'm not going for a proper monitor just yet (and no room for another). Unless, however, there is a 4K monitor that also accepts an analog Component input. 

For Tomb Raider, I was pretty sure I was using FXAA instead of SSAA, so that was probably what helped most with the frame rate. Hadn't played it in awhile though, or even finished it. It feels quite close to Uncharted, yet I find the puzzles to be lacking. I actually liked Tomb Raider Legend over the 2013 iteration. 

Ah.  Wireless is great.  I do not miss wired controllers.  lol

I doubt there's a 4K tv with inputs that old.  ?

That would help to use a lower AA setting I assume.  I'd previously played 2013 on my PS4 so my main interest in playing it on PC was to play it as pretty looking as possible.  If you haven't finished it you should try to.  Towards the end the story picks up a decent amount.  Rise of the Tomb Raider is different but also very good.  I agree about the puzzles.  2013 and RotTR are defintely more action oriented.   

The Uncharted games are awesome even if they are closer to 2013 than Legend.  

I loved Legend though.  Underworld is also very good if you haven't played it.  

I didn't get 2013 Tomb Raider until 2015 because I was unsure if it would be any good.  But after playing it I really like it for what it is.  I just think it takes some getting used to compared to the older TR games.  

12 minutes ago, AshleyAshes said:

That's the amazing thing about those settings in PC games; you don't actually have to set them to max.  They can be set to something lower than the highest values and you can still enjoy a video game for it's mechanics and story.

But you have to remember, there's 'gamers' and then there are 'PC Enthusiasts'.

PC Enthusiasts don't use their equipment to listen to play video games.  PC Enthusiasts use video games to watch their PC builds run.

I never said not maxing graphics settings affected the gameplay or story.  

As I told Zodiark and I should've told you I'd previous played TR 2013 on my PS4 so when trying it on PC I was going for as pretty as possible by maxing out settings.

I wouldn't have had an issue playing with a few settings lowered.  

I consider myself a gamer not an enthusiast.  

Since I got my first desktop last January I've been getting into tinkering with it.  Upgrading parts and currently getting a few things to make my main desktop quieter and slightly more energy efficient.  But while I do have an developing interest in learning about hardware I would never buy expensive parts just watch them run.

If I'm going to have computer I like then I want to use it not just watch it run.  ?

Team Fortress 2 at 1024x768 then forcing it to run at 1080i is a very interesting experience.

sSY6L.jpg

Also, no, I didn't force it to run at 1080i. It just wanted to for whatever reason.

And not very shockingly, it deinterlaces fairly well.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

23 minutes ago, Bleedingyamato said:

...Basically all 4K TVs ship today with a combination composite and component analog video input.  But she didn't say TV's, she said monitors, an very few monitors have ever had inputs for support analog NTSC/PAL/SECAM inputs.  ...Not since the days when computer monitors ONLY accepted Analog NTSC/PAL/SECAM inputs, but that's like the 1980's and older for that.

Just now, Nicholatian said:

You do realise that a digital screenshot is basically a snapshot of the contents of your GPU’s framebuffer… right? We don’t see no deinterlacing ?

I know that. I'm just saying that's how my TV decided to display it.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

Just now, Nicholatian said:

giphy.gif

Legacy support.  Why else?  There's a tonne of devices out there that only output analog video and consumers would not be happy if their new TVs didn't support all their devices.

4 minutes ago, Nicholatian said:

Here I’m picturing VGA on a 4K TV, and that makes no sense. What kind of analog handles 4K, and at what refresh rate?

It wouldn't be 4K and it wouldn't be VGA.  VGA is RGBHV (Or in some rare cases RGsB) and we're talking about composite and component NTSC/PAL/SECAM.  It doesn't have to be 4K, the TV will upscale and deinterlace, it's about legacy support.  It's so you don't go 'Yeah, I mean, I'd love to play Smash Brothers Melee... but we bought a new TV and it's HDMI only, so we put the GameCube in the dumpster'.  ...Replace 'GameCube' with any number of analog output only devices that a consumer may want to use an would be very upset if their expensive new TV didn't support it.

(And let's not get into how Pro Melee players would never use any kind of digital display and would only play on a CRT due to input lag of processing an analog input into a digital display. :P )

20 minutes ago, AshleyAshes said:

...Basically all 4K TVs ship today with a combination composite and component analog video input.  But she didn't say TV's, she said monitors, an very few monitors have ever had inputs for support analog NTSC/PAL/SECAM inputs.  ...Not since the days when computer monitors ONLY accepted Analog NTSC/PAL/SECAM inputs, but that's like the 1980's and older for that.

I'm certainly not opposed to using a 4K TV for a monitor provided the size (and price) is reasonable. 

12 minutes ago, Nicholatian said:

Here I’m picturing VGA on a 4K TV, and that makes no sense. What kind of analog handles 4K, and at what refresh rate?

No analog to my knowledge will handle 4K. The TV will have to upscale and (if applicable) deinterlace. 

45 minutes ago, Bleedingyamato said:

Ah.  Wireless is great.  I do not miss wired controllers.  lol

That would help to use a lower AA setting I assume.  I'd previously played 2013 on my PS4 so my main interest in playing it on PC was to play it as pretty looking as possible.  If you haven't finished it you should try to.  Towards the end the story picks up a decent amount.  Rise of the Tomb Raider is different but also very good.  I agree about the puzzles.  2013 and RotTR are defintely more action oriented.   

The Uncharted games are awesome even if they are closer to 2013 than Legend.  

I loved Legend though.  Underworld is also very good if you haven't played it.  

I didn't get 2013 Tomb Raider until 2015 because I was unsure if it would be any good.  But after playing it I really like it for what it is.  I just think it takes some getting used to compared to the older TR games.  

Not saying the new Tomb Raider games, or the Uncharted series is bad. It's simply that this Tomb Raider feels too much like the same thing I've played before, and similarly masochistic protagonists. :P

Also, as far as graphics go, before moving to the 960, I used to game on a laptop with an overclocked Radeon 5450. To say the difference is colossal (even in lighter titles) is an understatement. When I upgrade next, I would like a similar level of improvement. An unrealistic standard for a few years though. 

My eyes see the past…

13 minutes ago, Zodiark1593 said:

Also, as far as graphics go, before moving to the 960, I used to game on a laptop with an overclocked Radeon 5450. To say the difference is colossal (even in lighter titles) is an understatement. When I upgrade next, I would like a similar level of improvement. An unrealistic standard for a few years though. 

Yeah from 5450 to 960, gonna take a couple years to replicate that change.

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

3 minutes ago, Energycore said:

Yeah from 5450 to 960, gonna take a couple years to replicate that change.

Well, at the 750 MHz clock speed, the Radeon 5450 is good for 120 GFLOPS. At close to 1500 MHz, the 960 hits 2.8 TFLOPS. A 23x improvement in compute. Meaning I'd be looking at a 40+ TFLOP GPU for a similar gain. :)  

2 minutes ago, Nicholatian said:

Similar feeling about this headphone I just got in the mail today – going from $6 Panasonic earbuds to the V-MODA M-100 is breathaking ?

Was also my reaction when I bought my Sennheiser Momentum On Ears. 

My eyes see the past…

47 minutes ago, Zodiark1593 said:

I used to game on a laptop with an overclocked Radeon 5450.

I use an HD 5450 in my server, just to give it passively cooled video out, because the P67 chipset doesn't support Intel IGP. :D

3 minutes ago, AshleyAshes said:

I use an HD 5450 in my server, just to give it passively cooled video out, because the P67 chipset doesn't support Intel IGP. :D

Officially speaking, it was called the Radeon 6370 in my laptop, but it was just the 5450 with some clocks. Surprisingly, the game performance scales with clocks better than 100% when I brought clocks up further to 850 MHz. Just a shame that performance was still too low to be of much use. 

I tend to squeeze my equipment to the last bit before considering replacement, which is why my monitor/TV setup is so odd. Even my last phone, the Optimus 2X got the same treatment via a 50% overclock to the cpus. It was only when I started putting HD anime on there that it couldn't play that I decided to replace it. 

My eyes see the past…