PS3 to buy or not to buy?

arodrake

Hi everyone,

I'm not really interested in the PS4 or XBone, but there are a few games I really want to play on PS3 and i'm really tempted to buy it. I was wondering if it is worth buying the PS3 now or later? Would it get much cheaper when the next-gen consoles come out?

Also, is there any advantage of buying a bigger capacity PS3 if you're only planning to buy CD games? and is super slim PS3 currently the best to buy?

Thanks

CPU: Intel 2700k (4.7) MOBO: Asus P8Z77-V DELUXE GPU: Sapphire Vapor-X R9 290X RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengence (1866) CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i w/ 2x Noctua NF-F12 Storage: 256GB Samsung 830 Pro SSD (Boot), 64GB Crucial M4 (SSD Cache), 1TB WD Black Cavier, 2TB Hitachi, 2.5TB Buffalo Sound Card: Xonar Essence STX Case: Corsair Graphite 600t w/ full acrylic side PSU: Corsair HX750 (individually sleeved) 
Peripherals: Filco Keyboard (Brown) Razer Deathadder, Sennheiser HD595, Zalman ZM-MIC1, Steelseries Qck Mass mousepad.
Pics of my Rig

it depends. do you have the time to play now and won't be able to when next gen is out? do the games you want are even out yet? i got a super slim and it is fine. 

| i5 3570 | Palit GTX 680 jetsream | Gigabyte Z77x-ud3h | Corsair Vengeance 2x4 1600mhz | WD Caviar Black  1TB | Corsair TX 650m | Coolemaster Hyper212 X | NZXT Pantom 410 | Asus VS239 | Logitech G400s |

Click here to learn how to troll

Depends if you want to download games off the PSN Store. If you do then you should get one with a larger HDD or if you have an HDD or SSD lying around you could buy a PS3 with not much HDD space and put in the larger HDD/SSD. You could get one Pre-owned if you want it cheap.

Setup: i5 4670k @ 4.2 Ghz, Corsair H100i Cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB Ram @ 1600 Mhz, MSI Z87-GD65 Motherboard, Corsair GS700 2013 edition PSU, MSI GTX 770 Lightning, Samsung EVO 120 SSD + 2TB&1TB Seagate Barracudas, BenQ XL2411T Monitor, Sennheiser HD 598 Headphones + AntLion ModMic 4.0

I heard tht the super sim ps3 had horrible build quality. Reviewtechusa on YouTube did a video on it but I could be wrong

I heard tht the super sim ps3 had horrible build quality. Reviewtechusa on YouTube did a video on it but I could be wrong

i have mine just sitting there so i don't worry too much. and i play like once a week or less. 0.0

| i5 3570 | Palit GTX 680 jetsream | Gigabyte Z77x-ud3h | Corsair Vengeance 2x4 1600mhz | WD Caviar Black  1TB | Corsair TX 650m | Coolemaster Hyper212 X | NZXT Pantom 410 | Asus VS239 | Logitech G400s |

Click here to learn how to troll

Assuming I've watched that video, I had the complete opposite experience. Sure, lots of plastic, but it's not that awful.

My reasoning for getting the PS3:

1) Uncharted

2) Last of Us - eventually

3) Playstation Plus - recently added BF3 to the free games list. Good selection of free games.

4) PS4's Gaikai streaming won't be available in Canada at launch, and it'll need time before more titles are added. Also, internet issues around streamed gaming for me personally (usage limits).

5) Limited games on launch, waiting until more are available.

Once the latter 2 happen, I'll either trade in the PS3 and get the PS4 or keep the PS3 longer to play using discs, at least until I'm confident Gaikai is mature enough.

Interested in Linux, SteamOS and Open-source applications? Go here

Gaming Rig - CPU: i5 3570k @ Stock | GPU: EVGA Geforce 560Ti 448 Core Classified Ultra | RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB DDR3 1600 | SSD: Crucial M4 128GB | HDD: 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB WD Caviar Black, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Case: Antec Lanboy Air | KB: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue | Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M95 | Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

I would suggest getting the older model, the one with the curved glossy top. It is the cheapest to buy, and some of them had backwards compatibility with PS2 games (60gb and 40gb versions iirc). I also think it's by far the best looking model. :D

"Be excellent to each other" - Bill and Ted
Community Standards | Guides & Tutorials | Members of Staff

I'd look for the original PS3 slim at a good price. It looks better than the "super slim" and it looks like it has better build quality. If you don't care about the super slim's looks though, pick one up when you see the price that you like. I'm sure that Sony will release a PS3 bundle with a cheaper price after the PS4 is released, but I don't think the savings will be that much. Also, don't rule out factory refurbished and open box deals, if you're looking to save some more. I got my original PS3 60GB used and it's still alive and kicking. You won't have buyers remorse though, PS3 has some really nice exclusives.

As far as storage, I think the base size is 250GB now. I could be wrong. That's plenty, if you don't plan on downloading that many games from PSN. I still only have my 60GB hard drive in mine, and it's only recently started to show signs of getting full.

CPU: AMD FX 8350 OC 4.8GHz Cooler: Cooler Master Seidon 240M Mobo: ASUS Crosshair V Formula Z GPU: Radeon HD 7970 RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws X 16GB 1866mhz Red PSU: XFX 750watt Black Edition Storage: Samsung 840 Pro 128GB, 2TB WD Caviar Black, 2x1TB Samsung Spin Disk Case: Fractal Design Define R4 Black

Just to point out, if you want to get a PlayStation Plus subscription you should really consider getting either a higher capacity PS3 or swapping the HDD for a higher capacity one. My poor 80GB gets emptied and refilled ridiculously fast with all of the free games you get on PS+...

Just to point out, if you want to get a PlayStation Plus subscription you should really consider getting either a higher capacity PS3 or swapping the HDD for a higher capacity one. My poor 80GB gets emptied and refilled ridiculously fast with all of the free games you get on PS+...

If you cancel your playstation plus subscription, can you play the games you downloaded?

And can you get all the games available through playstation plus or is it a certain selection?

CPU: Intel 2700k (4.7) MOBO: Asus P8Z77-V DELUXE GPU: Sapphire Vapor-X R9 290X RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengence (1866) CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i w/ 2x Noctua NF-F12 Storage: 256GB Samsung 830 Pro SSD (Boot), 64GB Crucial M4 (SSD Cache), 1TB WD Black Cavier, 2TB Hitachi, 2.5TB Buffalo Sound Card: Xonar Essence STX Case: Corsair Graphite 600t w/ full acrylic side PSU: Corsair HX750 (individually sleeved) 
Peripherals: Filco Keyboard (Brown) Razer Deathadder, Sennheiser HD595, Zalman ZM-MIC1, Steelseries Qck Mass mousepad.
Pics of my Rig

unless your planning to jailbreak it

its not a good idea

just wait for the ps4 and u can use their cloud gaming functionality to play ps3 games 

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

If you cancel your playstation plus subscription, can you play the games you downloaded?

And can you get all the games available through playstation plus or is it a certain selection?

Games are only available for as long as you're subscribed. If you unsubscribe, you probably can't play the downloaded games (unsure though). $50/year for an ever increasing selection of games worth $100s is worth it, imo. You get 30 odd games signing up now, and 2 games are added every month.

You can play all of the free games available through PS+, and handful of them are for the Vita. There's a section of the PS Store on the console with a list of them available for the PS3/Vita respectively.

Interested in Linux, SteamOS and Open-source applications? Go here

Gaming Rig - CPU: i5 3570k @ Stock | GPU: EVGA Geforce 560Ti 448 Core Classified Ultra | RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB DDR3 1600 | SSD: Crucial M4 128GB | HDD: 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB WD Caviar Black, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Case: Antec Lanboy Air | KB: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue | Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M95 | Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

Games are only available for as long as you're subscribed. If you unsubscribe, you probably can't play the downloaded games (unsure though).

I'll confirm this. When Sony had that security breach that took the PSN down for months, they offered gamers a trial Plus membership and some free games. I downloaded plenty of free PS+ titles, but they became inactive when my subscription ended.

Anyway, to the OP, I think the PS3 would be a good consideration if you like the exclusive content it has going for it. I'd recommend, regardless if you plan on downloading games from PSN, to get the cheapest model possible regardless of HDD size, then upgrade the HDD yourself. It's very simple and much cheaper than paying Sony's premium for the larger HDD.

^ I can confirm this too.

Thankfully, they're always available if you renew your subscription. So even if you stop paying a subscription for a few months, as soon as you renew it again you'll have access to all of your previously purchased games again. :)

Also agreed about the HDD. Unlike with the Xbox 360, the PS3 does not use a proprietary type of hard drive. You can just stick in any 2.5" drive and make it work fine.

Interesting that you can get a 1TB hard drive or higher on the PS3 but you're limited to only 500GB on the Xbox One. Sheesh.

dont buy it just wait for next gen

He is the hero this forum deserves but not the one it needs right now.So we'll hunt him because he can take it because he is not our hero he is a silent guardian 

a watchful protector A Dark Knight

Hi everyone,

I'm not really interested in the PS4 or XBone, but there are a few games I really want to play on PS3 and i'm really tempted to buy it. I was wondering if it is worth buying the PS3 now or later? Would it get much cheaper when the next-gen consoles come out?

Also, is there any advantage of buying a bigger capacity PS3 if you're only planning to buy CD games? and is super slim PS3 currently the best to buy?

Thanks

They usually drop in price around Black Friday and Boxing day but not by much. It won't drop because of PS4 because it's not backward compatible. You still need to buy a PS3 to play PS3 games.

I have a superslim, no problems with it. Too many people complain just for the sake of complaining.

Uncharted series, Last of Us and Beyond: Two Souls (when released) are my 3 reasons for getting a PS3.