RAID 0 Issue on Fresh Build

Alright, I just through together a fresh build running the ASUS Maximus VII Formula and two Corsair Force GS 240GB SSDs. I would like to configure both SSDs to run in a RAID 0 array. This will be my first-ever RAID setup. However, I have followed ASUS' instructions and the instructions found on a dozen forums, but I have a problem nonetheless.

FYI: BIOS is up to date. EZ Flash Update was the first thing I did after booting for the first time. I haven't touched a single BIOS setting, save for those described in the following steps.

Here's what I have done...

1. Switch from AHCI to RAID in the BIOS (save and restart)
  2. Press Ctrl + I to open the RAID controller
  3. Create the RAID 0 array, name it, choose disks, choose stripe size, etc. (exit and restart)
  4. Open the BIOS and check to see if everything is good; BIOS sees the RAID 0 array, both drives are good (save and restart)
  5. Plug in the flash drive that has my Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit install files on it
  6. Windows install goes through successfully, choosing Disk 0 as my install drive, which shows ~480GB (restart)
  7. [issue] RAID controller pops up during boot saying the RAID has failed and only recognizes one of the drives
  8. [issue] Check BIOS and it too only shows one drive as active; shows the other SATA port as "Empty"

I have to kill the RAID array, wipe the drives, and unplug and plug-in the SATA cables for BIOS to see both of them again. I have repeated these steps twice now, having swapped-out the SATA cables and having switched the drives to different Intel SATA ports on the motherboard. Same results.

Just so I could get Windows going, I installed without the SSDs in a RAID array. Install went fine and I now have a machine with two separate drives usable by the OS. But this isn't the setup I want. I want RAID 0.

Am I just missing something simple, or is this a hardware/firmware issue?

Thanks for reading and please help if you can.

Intel i7-4771 | ASUS ROG Maximus VII Formula X97 | Corsair Vengeance Pro 2 x 8GB @ 1600MHz C9 | EVGA GTX 980 Superclocked SLI | 2 x Corsair Force GS 240GB | Corsair AX1200i | Corsair 750D | Corsair H100i

-snip-

Why put 2 SSD's in RAID 0? You can barley tell the difference?! 

CPU: i5 4670k @ 3.4GHz + Corsair H100i      GPU: Gigabyte GTX 680 SOC (+215 Core|+162 Mem)     SSD: Kingston V300 240GB (OS)      Headset: Logitech G930 

Case: Cosair Vengance C70 (white)                RAM: 16GB TeamGroup Elite Black DDR3 1600MHz       HDD: 1TB WD Blue                              Mouse: Logitech G602

OS: Windows 7 Home Premium                       PSUXFX Core Edition 750w                                                Motherboard: MSI Z97-G45               Keyboard: Logitech G510

Why put 2 SSD'd in RAID 0? You can barley tell the difference?! 

OS will probably take longer to load having to wait for the RAID to initialise on startup. Also software RAID is just... bad times.

System/Server Administrator - Networking - Storage - Virtualization - Scripting - Applications

Dont have a solution but why the hate for raid ssd, i had a mx100 for about 2 months then bought a second for raid and i can tell the diffrence, boot times are alittle longar but only by a few seconds, if he wants to raid ssd's thats up to him. Since every one worships linus dont forget he has i think 8 ssd's in raid 0 on his personal rig.

Do u hsve a win7 disk, see if it works on that, since you only have problams after installing win8 it sounds like the problam.

Or try installing win 8 on a normal hdd then set up ur raid ssd and then use some cloning software, u normaly get some free with ssd's at least i did with mine. Copy it all overvand set to boot from the ssd's maby remove the hdd all together, worth a try

Was this what you did for your step 1? 

5.1.3 Setting the RAID item in BIOS

You must enable the RAID function in the BIOS Setup before creating RAID sets using SATA HDDs. To do this:

1.Enter the BIOS Setup during POST.

2.Go to the Advanced menu > SATA Configuration, and then press <Enter>.

3.Set the SATA Mode item to [RAID Mode].
4.Save your changes, and then exit the BIOS Setup. 

Make sure you read through the user guide.  RAID is in chapter 5 at the bottom.  I don't have that motherboard so I can't vouch for its accuracy, but it looks pretty thorough based on the way its written.

I'm reasonably certain my son's computer has the same RAID controller, and I have his set up in RAID 0 also.  It's Friday so he might be on it a while tonight. ;) But I'll load the configuration utility and look at how it's set when he's away from it.  Don't forget about the thread 

Was this what you did for your step 1? 

5.1.3 Setting the RAID item in BIOS

You must enable the RAID function in the BIOS Setup before creating RAID sets using SATA HDDs. To do this:

1.Enter the BIOS Setup during POST.

2.Go to the Advanced menu > SATA Configuration, and then press <Enter>.

3.Set the SATA Mode item to [RAID Mode].

4.Save your changes, and then exit the BIOS Setup. 

^ Exactly what I did, word for word. ^

Never did figure out why RAID wouldn't work. Frankly, I've given up on it  :( (too excited to get my pair of 980s fired up  :D)

I'm now running one SSD as an OS/general-use drive and the other as a Steam drive for all my game installs. At least I've significantly lowered the risk of catastrophic data loss by abandoning RAID 0. Silver lining.

Thanks for the effort watts300.

Intel i7-4771 | ASUS ROG Maximus VII Formula X97 | Corsair Vengeance Pro 2 x 8GB @ 1600MHz C9 | EVGA GTX 980 Superclocked SLI | 2 x Corsair Force GS 240GB | Corsair AX1200i | Corsair 750D | Corsair H100i

^ Exactly what I did, word for word. ^

Never did figure out why RAID wouldn't work. Frankly, I've given up on it :( (too excited to get my pair of 980s fired up :D)

I'm now running one SSD as an OS/general-use drive and the other as a Steam drive for all my game installs. At least I've significantly lowered the risk of catastrophic data loss by abandoning RAID 0. Silver lining.

Thanks for the effort watts300.

Ya I'm afraid I'm not much help. The config is pretty basic and I'm nervous of trying a dry run of the first option; I don't know how it'll handle the set up that's already there.

Check YouTube. Some one might have a demo is setting it up with Rapid Storage Technology.

You were hitting the "create volume" command, right?

PS. You still have a risk of data loss. :) Every storage drive can fail. I back up his/my data with the big one.

post-122698-0-64929900-1427606049.jpg