Question to anyone that built a custom pc

Teemo4Life

Imo, anti static mats and wristbands are pretty useless.

You just need to have a habit of touching a grounded power supply and you should be good.

~~~SnapDragon~~~

| CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X @ PBO & -0.06v offset | CPU Cooler: Scythe Ninja 5 |RAM: 32GB G.Skill Flare X 3200MHz @ 3600MHz 1.45V| Mobo: Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite  | Storage: Crucial MX300 500GB + Western Digital Blue M.2 250GB + Seagate Barracuda 2TB + Western Digital 1TB Blue | Graphics Card: Asus ROG Strix RTX 2070 Super Advanced 8G | Case: Cooler Master HAF X | PSU: Superflower Leadex Silver 650W |

No, I mount the PSU in the case before anything else and plug it into a powered down socket, so that it's earthed.

Regularly touch the metal chassis to ensure I'm not full of static and build the components in the board on top of the metal work as well. Don't shuffle about with socks on, on a carpeted floor, while you're handling sensitive gear or passing it to other people. Handing components to other people is more likely to cause a static spark than anything else.

Just touch the case every now and again to ground yourself. I built my pc without one and it turned out only 1/2 autistic.

My Main PC:

CPUi5 3570k CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper T4 Motherboard: Asus p8z77-v pro  RAM: Crucial Balistic 2x4gb  GPU: Two PNY GTX 680's in SLI Case: Some rando Antec one  PSU: Thermaltake 1000w  Display: HP Elite Display 321i 23''  Storage: Samsung 840 Evo 128gb, Seagate Barracuda 1tb

Never used one in my life. I remember, whenever i was full of static charge i was like "phuck it, it's not a good day to build a pc" lol. And waited till tomorrow.

Never used one on my house, but at work I use everytime!

Did u guys use a anti static wristband or mat.

Is it necessary?

If I just build it on a normal table, I have no carpet with shorts and singlet, fine? Is that what everyone does

People who build or have built PCs will always tend to say that you ought to wear an anti-static band to protect your parts. But in truth, most of these people never use it. Myself included.

There was a poll around the forum recently that shows that pretty much nobody used those things.

i7 4790K || R9 290X + R9 290 || 16GB G.Skill TridentX 1866 || Gigabyte Z97MX Gaming 5 || Crucial MX100 256GB || WD Caviar Blue 1TB

I was fine and i didn't use one... No cats or carpet though 

nah, just plug your psu in flip the switch to "off" and throughout building, touch it every so often.

Star Citizen referral codes, to help support your fellow comrades!
UOLTT Discord server, come on over and chat!

i7 4790k/ Bequiet Pure Rock/Asrock h97 PRO4/ 8 GB Crucial TT/ Corsair RM 750/ H-440 Custom/  PNY GT 610

Damn you're like a modular human being. -ThatCoolBlueKidd

To clear this up.

You don't have to use one, although it is recommended.

In the worst case, if you don't ground yourself, sensitive parts (RAM, ...) can, but do not have to, take damage.

I didn't use an anti-static wristband on my own build, but when I built for some friends and other people I wore one just to make sure it is not my fault if anything doesn't work.

So, ground yourself with your case or something else made of metal and you should be fine.

Do not build on a carpet or anything like that. But like with the wristband, you do not need an anti-static construction mat, it is just recommended.

The wristband just makes sure nothing happens to your parts.

Ive never used a one and I have carpets. You should be fine. 

Personally, I have never used it.

But I'm telling you that if you want to be safe, buy an anti-static mat (modmat) or wristband at the least (both is preferable).

"Do as I say, not as I do."

Dual Boot Windows & Hackintosh

CPU: Intel 4790K | Motherboard: ASUS Maximus Hero Vii | GPU: Zotac AMP! Extreme GTX 970 | Display: ASUS PB278Q | Case: Phantom 630 | PSU: Corsair HX1000i 

Canada eh? 

The first PC I built was built in my room with carpets... maybe wasn't such a good idea... Luckily it turned out fine.

Current System: CPU - I5-6500 | Motherboard - ASRock H170M-ITX/ac | RAM - Mushkin Blackline 16GB DDR4 @ 2400mHz | GPU - EVGA 1060 3GB | Case - Fractal Design Nano S | Storage - 250GB 850 EVO, 3TB Barracuda | PSU - EVGA 450W 80+ Bronze | Display - AOC 22" 1080p IPS | Cooling - Phanteks PH-TC12DX_BK | Keyboard - Cooler Master QuickFire Rapid(MX Blues) | Mouse - Logitech G602 | Sound - Schiit Stack | Operating System - Windows 10

The OG System: I3-2370M @ 2.4 GHz, 750GB 5400 RPM HDD, 8GB RAM @1333Mhz, Lenovo Z580 Laptop (Ubuntu 16.04 LTS).

Peripherals: G602, AKG 240, Sennheiser HD 6XX, Audio-Technica 2500, Oneplus 5T, Odroid C2(NAS).

If I am working on the computer for an extended amount of time, such as when assembling a new build, I will use an anti static wristband.

It's not entirely necessary because you can ground yourself by touching the metal of your computer case.

Still, it's like an extra insurance for a few dollars. 

It's hardly expensive and inconvenient, but it does give a huge piece of mind.

It's not like the risk of static shock is huge, but you'll kill yourself if it does happen and if you didn't take the precautions.

Kill yourself......

Well...............prebuilt plz

Using anti-static bands isn't a necessity. But you can see it as an insurance.

I just ground myself by keeping the power supply hooked in, and touching something metal on the case. Or else I just touch the ground of the electrical outlet, or anything else that's grounded around the house. If you do that on regular intervals, then you should be fine.

Did u guys use a anti static wristband or mat.

Is it necessary?

If I just build it on a normal table, I have no carpet with shorts and singlet, fine? Is that what everyone does

Just remove any carpets. Also don't wear socks.

LTT's unofficial Windows activation expert.