Xbox One's will use a collective $250 million in energy over the course of a year. And that's in standby.

matt12046

Don't go suggesting people should care about power consumption around here, they don't like hearing it.  :ph34r:

seriously. don't remind me that i have a 220W TDP CPU.

We can't Benchmark like we used to, but we have our ways. One trick is to shove more GPUs in your computer. Like the time I needed to NV-Link, because I needed a higher HeavenBench score, so I did an SLI, which is what they called NV-Link back in the day. So, I decided to put two GPUs in my computer, which was the style at the time. Now, to add another GPU to your computer, costs a new PSU. Now in those days PSUs said OCZ on them, "Gimme 750W OCZs for an SLI" you'd say. Now where were we? Oh yeah, the important thing was that I had two GPUs in my rig, which was the style at the time! They didn't have RGB PSUs at the time, because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big green ones. 

Switch it off at the wall -> problem solved. >.>

Don't go suggesting people should care about power consumption around here, they don't like hearing it.  :ph34r:

Oh god, I can hear the incoming butthurt right now, as well as the holy hypocrisy. 

PCs waste power? Nah bro, what are you poor or something? Who cares about energy use. 

Consoles waste power? LOL TOP KEK MASTER RACE 4 LYFE BROOOOS 

Let it be said that you have to CHOSE to put the Xbox and PS4 into their Standby modes that allow for instant on, instant resume and all that fun stuff. So yes, I'm burning power willingly but I'm not an idiot about how bad it can be if even a few million of them are doing that. 

But I abstain. This is LTT. People really don't like hearing about power consumption and its downsides. 

For once, I'm going to go with the ecomentalists,

let's ban all Xbox ones! /s but not really.....or really?

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Yeah my PC (which I use as a server) is on 24/7 so... I guess the Xbox ain't that bad. 

The PS4 just received the update that let the game run while putting it to sleep. So you press power and you're back gaming like in seconds. That's pretty cool actually. I've always found that it took too long on my PS3 to get into games...

Hydroelectricity ftw where i live so. No big deal ;)

During initial setup i'm pretty sure it asks you if you want to use quick on (whatever its called) or power save... so really it's all down to the person who owns the console especially considering you can change the option after the fact in the settings menu

Alright lets bring some facts to the discussion.

From Ars Technica: http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2013/11/xbox-one-review-more-than-a-game-console-less-than-a-living-room-revolution/

post-385-0-82592100-1427464220.png

Power-wise, the Xbox One is relatively efficient for the game console space, drawing only 69 Watts when displaying the system menu and topping out at about 120 Watts during a power-hungry game. The system can be turned off completely, but it will take up anywhere from 17 to 18 Watts if you leave it in standby mode. This allows for much quicker start-up and the ability to power the system on just by saying "Xbox, on."

As you can see in stand-by mode yes it will use 17-18 Watts. This feature can be disabled and you can have be off using only 0.3 Watts. It also never uses more than 120 Watts under any condition. Meanwhile PC Mustard Rats are probably sucking around 400-500 Watts while under load. So I'm not sure I understand the hate here?

Also the dollar figure here in the title is completely meaningless. The cost of power varies greatly depending on location and it also assumes that every Xbox One sold will be utilizing stand-by mode.

CPU: i7 4790K  RAM: 32 GB 2400 MHz  Motherboard: Asus Z-97 Pro  GPU: GTX 770  SSD: 256 GB Samsung 850 Pro  OS: Windows 8.1 64-bit

Alright lets bring some facts to the discussion.

From Ars Technica: http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2013/11/xbox-one-review-more-than-a-game-console-less-than-a-living-room-revolution/

attachicon.gifxboxpwr.png

As you can see in stand-by mode yes it will use 17-18 Watts. This feature can be disabled and you can have be off using only 0.3 Watts. It also never uses more than 120 Watts under any condition. Meanwhile PC Mustard Rats are probably sucking around 400-500 Watts while under load. So I'm not sure I understand the hate here?

Also the dollar figure here in the title is completely meaningless. The cost of power varies greatly depending on location and it also assumes that every Xbox One sold will be utilizing stand-by mode.

my laptop uses ~250 watts when gaming. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch