Review Request for Acer v15/v17 Nitro

Just wondering if we can get a review from Linus for this Notebook/Ultrabook Seems like a too good to be true deal. Thin, Attractive, moderately powerful with what appears to be a good quality IPS display panel? Thoughts from the community welcome. I'm a graphic design student and a gamer and I'm trying to figure out if this could be the godsend for me as someone who refuses to work on or pay for a macbook. 

post-218210-0-37455600-1427436740.jpg

post-218210-0-37455600-1427436740.jpg

"good quality IPS" do not exist on laptops. The best you'll find are 6-bit colour, 72% NTSC gamut panels, which are about the same (minus the viewing angle differences and response time differences) to a decent laptop TN panel. Please don't be fooled that IPS automatically = better.

Next, that machine is not designed to be put under lots of CPU stress. Just looking at it, it can't cool properly, unless you get an ULV CPU in it... and I don't know if they alternate between good power and low-end. The fact that a macbook would have sufficed however tells me that you would not be using much CPU or GPU power anyway, so that should not be a huge worry... but I am making sure you are aware of this fact anyway.

Finally, I don't particularly trust Acer to give very good products from my experiences with them, but you can read a decent (though slightly outward-build-quality-biased) review from notebookreview here http://www.notebookcheck.net/Acer-Aspire-V15-Nitro-VN7-591G-77A9-Notebook-Review.128435.0.html about it.

I hope this helps you some. If you really want a decent small machine, I could point you to the Clevo W230SD as well, though that is a 13": http://www.xoticpc.com/sager-np7339-clevo-w230sd-p-8073.html?wconfigure=yes

I have finally moved to a desktop. Also my guides are outdated as hell.

THE INFORMATION GUIDES: SLI INFORMATION || vRAM INFORMATION || MOBILE i7 CPU INFORMATION || Maybe more someday

"good quality IPS" do not exist on laptops. The best you'll find are 6-bit colour, 72% NTSC gamut panels, which are about the same (minus the viewing angle differences and response time differences) to a decent laptop TN panel. Please don't be fooled that IPS automatically = better.

they DO exist on laptops some hitting 95% Adobe RGB but generally on on workstation grade ones, also viewing angles are VITAL on laptops in my opinion, even if there are no other benefits, since its difficult to sit square on at all times

http://www.notebookcheck.net/The-Best-Notebook-Displays-As-Reviewed-By-Notebookcheck.120541.0.html

EDIT: Also there are lots of them that do really well in sRGB too,80-95% so unless you are a photographer should still be nice displays

@p4rkourist shame macbooks are really great tbh :D

Notebookcheck is a good place to get really in depth reviews of laptops, ive always found their tests and opinions very accurate

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Acer-Aspire-V15-Nitro-Black-Edition-VN7-591G-75TD-Notebook-Review-Update.133985.0.html

Screen is only 61% Adobe RGB and 82% sRGB, so its not very colour accurate - but otherwise is a decent laptop :D

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

they DO exist on laptops some hitting 95% Adobe RGB but generally on on workstation grade ones, also viewing angles are VITAL on laptops in my opinion, even if there are no other benefits, since its difficult to sit square on at all times

http://www.notebookcheck.net/The-Best-Notebook-Displays-As-Reviewed-By-Notebookcheck.120541.0.html

EDIT: Also there are lots of them that do really well in sRGB too,80-95% so unless you are a photographer should still be nice displays

My TN panel is 100% sRGB and 72% NTSC gamut. I don't know how to check Adobe RGB though, I don't have a calibration tool. My point though is that IPS panels in laptops are generally 60% or 72% NTSC gamut, and there are 95% NTSC gamut TN panels and 72% NTSC gamut TN panels that are otherwise functionally the same except for viewing angles.

And no, "workstation grade" ones still use panels, and those panels are stored on www.panelook.com and I can't search for any TRULY quality IPS panels there. For every IPS panel, they exists a "better" (specwise) TN panel (even if discontinued; they usually have for sale somewhere), and the viewing angles and bad response times boil down to the only difference.

If you look on that list, a lot of their "88%" rating etc are from gaming machines, like ASUS or the XMG P505 (which is a Clevo; I think the P750ZM or P650Sx). And compared to my panel, their panels aren't even all that good.

Believe me, we have a bunch of enthusiasts over on NBR trying to find the best screens for their machines and after a few months we realized that all the actual best screens are just not being created anymore.

I have finally moved to a desktop. Also my guides are outdated as hell.

THE INFORMATION GUIDES: SLI INFORMATION || vRAM INFORMATION || MOBILE i7 CPU INFORMATION || Maybe more someday