Is Vessel a Buffery mess for anyone else?

This might just be me, but I wanted to double check with you guys first.

I signed up for Vessel, mostly just to get the one year of free "premium tier" streaming, and would honestly consider paying the $3 a month after that period is over if this improves, but honestly, it's a mess.

Setting aside the fact that you can't middle click links to open them in a new tab like you can on youtube, and the fact that it's comment system is horrendous, it's nearly impossible to watch a complete video straight through!

I can stream 1080p60fps on youtube without a single buffer, yet I need to pause every Vessel video every ten seconds or so to let it buffer, and for an average 10 minute video, the player will simply stop loading new video 3-5 times, meaning I have to figure out exactly where I am in the video, refresh the page, and then jump to that time, multiple times, just to watch an LTT video!

I'm hoping that this is one of two things, either just a bad connection to my location, or just a part of the growing pains involved in offering a new streaming site, either way, I'm hoping you here in the LTT community can shed some light on the matter. 

Thanks in advance!

My Build 
i7-4790k @4.6GHz, 16GB GSkill Ares RAM, Gigabyte Z97X-Gaming G1, Strix 970, RM1000 PSU, 128GB Sandisk SSD, 1TB Barracuda, 3TB WD Green, CM Storm Scout II

It's happening to a lot of people.

CPU: 6600K @ 4.6Ghz | COOLER: H100i GTX | MOBO: Asus Z170 AR | GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti Hybrid | RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB | 

CASE: Corsair 760T | PSU: Corsair RM750x | STORAGE: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB & Seagate 2TB | KEYBOARD: K70 RGB | MOUSE: Deathadder Elite

Yeah i have this issue too, maybe not as bad as you tho

CPU: I5-4440 / MOBO: Gigabyte GA-Z87-DS3H / RAM: G.Skill ripjaws 2x4GB / Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 128gb SSD, 1TB WD HDD / PSU: Corsair CX500M / Case: Xigmatek Aquila / Monitor: Dell U2414H

It's happening to a lot of people.

Yeah i have this issue too, maybe not as bad as you tho

Well I guess it's good to know I'm not the only person having issues. I also have issues with Twitch (on occasion) where it just honestly streams like crap, despite a nice internet connection. Unfortunately, I do live in Iowa, so it's not exactly a hotbed of high end ISPs here (that being said, if you know anyone in the industry, land out here is pretty cheap, come build your data servers here, I could always use lower ping :DDD)

My Build 
i7-4790k @4.6GHz, 16GB GSkill Ares RAM, Gigabyte Z97X-Gaming G1, Strix 970, RM1000 PSU, 128GB Sandisk SSD, 1TB Barracuda, 3TB WD Green, CM Storm Scout II

I'd say its just because its a new site and because of the surge of Youtubers heading there, I'm guessing they're getting a lot of traffic

Been playing on a laptop for 6 years, I play Dota 2 with 10fps. Some might say this is impossible, I say its just annoying

Vessel is terrible for now.

G4MING RIG - CPU: i7 5930K  Cooling: Custom Loop  MOBO: Asus Rampage V Extreme  GPU: EVGA 980 Ti GTX Classified  RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR4 16 GB  SSD: Samsung 840 Pro  PSU: be quiet! Dark Power Pro 11 850W Platinum Certified  Sound: Asus Xonar Essence STX II  CASE: Phanteks Enthoo Primo  PERIPHERALS: Das Keyboard Ultimate 4, Logitech G502 Proteus Core, Sennheiser G4ME One, B&W MM-1, ROG SWIFT

Macbook Pro Retina 15" 2012CPU: i7 2,7 GHz  GPU: GT 650M,  RAM: 16GB,  SSD: 512GB

Interesting, for me it is the other way around. Vessel loads and buffers as fast as possible when watching a video, never had a problem with loading or waiting due to buffering (even in HD).

▶ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Einstein◀

Please remember to mark a thread as solved if your issue has been fixed, it helps other who may stumble across the thread at a later point in time.

Also happening to me. I just download the video and watch it once it's finished.

Hopefully they can be on par with youtube after a few weeks.

Buffer city, No android app (yet), no playlists. Vessel better get their shit together before the year is up, cause as it is there is absolutely no way I would pay for it in it's current state.

Intel Core i7 4790K >> MSI Z87I Gaming AC (MS-7887) >> G.Skill Ripjaws 2133 16GB >> Zotac GTX 980 >> Corsair 250D >> Samsung 840 Evo 250GB >> OCZ ModXStream Pro 600W >> Acer K2 27" Widescreen LED Monitor  (K272HLBMID) >> Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 MX Brown Switch Red RGB LED 87KEYS Mechanical Keyboard >> Mionix Avior 7000 >> HyperX Cloud

i have only watched one video on it and it buffered fine. then again it is 3 30 am eastern where im at so that could have helped.

I'm not a fan of this move. i find it shady 

yes it is! (i can watch one second to a minute of video and then it wil buffer for half a hour before it repeats)

My pc:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/dvcw23 

(Black Glacier)

My server:

Dual xeon x5679 processors, 24gb of ECC memory, Nvidia quadro 295 NVS and 48tb of storage.  (z600

If you don't like Vessel, just ignore it. Linus's youtube channel will continue uploading videos in the same way that it has for years.

Disclaimer : I might be wrong.

If you don't like Vessel, just ignore it. Linus's youtube channel will continue uploading videos in the same way that it has for years.

Other than the delayed release times.

Workstation i7-3930k | GTX 980 SLI | 2 x P2715Q (2160p) | AX1200i | H100i

Server E3-1245v3 | 24GB RAM | Be Quiet! 600W PSU | Be Quiet! Rock Pro 3

its not really delayed if videos are constantly being uploaded ~24 hours after one another

Vessel just ensures that you'll get "future releases" early.

"It seems we living the American dream, but the people highest up got the lowest self esteem. The prettiest people do the ugliest things, for the road to riches and diamond rings."- Kanye West, "All Falls Down"

He didn't delay any videos. He already recorded them weeks before and therefore he can release them on Vessel early without delaying them on youtube.

Hardware: Intel I7 4790K 4Ghz | Asus Maximus VII Hero Z97 | Gigabyte 780 Windforce OC | Noctua NH-U12P SE2 | Sandisk Extreme Pro 480GB | Seagate 500Gb 7200Rpm | Phanteks Enthoo Luxe | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | Noctua NF12 | SupremeFX 2014 | Patriot Viper 3 16GB.

Gaming Gear: Cooler Master TK Stealth | Sennheiser PC350SE | Steelseries Rival | LG IPS23L-BN ' 5ms | Philips Brillians 144hz 

How to fail as a new video platform startup:

1. Announce new platform to support content creators
  2. Acquire a few major content creators from other networks
  3. Hype up the platform, video quality, and mobile access
  4. Fail to have an Android App ready for launch
  5. Offer a FREE YEAR "exclusive" to those clicking on a link
  6. Fail horribly due to multiple issues:
  • Video quality is worse than YouTube 720p60fps
  • Buffering is awfully sl --------- BUFFERING --------- ow
  • Comment system might actually be worse than Google+
  • No app for mobile platform with [2nd?] largest device deployment (Android)
  • Content creators don't see as much $$ because of free tier for 1st year

Of course, it could be worse. Content creators could host their shows exclusively on iTunes. That will be the day I smash my iPad to pieces.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

Vessel= buffering and bad quality.

I'll just stick to youtube. Maybe sometimes I'll watch on vessel.

It's so stupid how so many youtubers are joining vessel. More money?

JayZtwocents posted a vid on vessel and he got a positive response but Linus got SOOOOOOOO MUCH DISLIKES.

I've not had this problem, but the quality on vessel compared to youtube is TERRIBLE.  It feels like everything is sub 1080p.

I should really share this.

What Vessel have done wrong :

- Tech support

How do I remove my account?

I canceled your free year service are you happy now?! NO.

- Site navigation

Worse than YouTube, which is already hiding so many features from us.

- Video quality

It looks OK to me, but also very bad at the same time. Only HD?! What. It doesn't buffer which is really funny, considering it buffers for everyone else...

- Comment system

I'd rather use Google Plus.

- Homepage / video system

Almost the same thing as navigation just that I get useless content after watching a video.

- Signing up

How the f$&k did they screw that up?! 4 minutes after the release the Log In button pointed to registering. WTF.

- Content / content creators

Yeah Good mythical morning, like I care about that... and what about the small content creators?! They're not going to get accepted.

- Settings

No delete account or change profile picture button? Lol, what is this? Oh wait the internet almost always had profile pictures.

- No good app. Even the iOS app sucks.

- Features we love... like annotations or playlists.

Do I need to continue?

Spoiler

PRE-BUILT DESKTOP | CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 @ 3GHz | RAM: 4GB DDR2 @ 800MHz (2GBX2) | GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GT 430 w/ 2GB VRAM | HDDs: 3.5" Samsung HD501LJ ATA 500GB 7200rpm & 3.5" Samsung 502IJ ATA 500GB 7200rpm | PSU: MODECOM Feel III-500Watt ATX | Displays: Samsung SyncMaster T22B350 (1920x1080) & LG Flatron W2234S (1680x1050) | OS: Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit & Ubuntu Linux 14.04 LTS | Peripherals: Logitech M90 gray mice & Acme KM10 keyboard | Sound: HDMI 2.0

DELL INSPIRON 15 7000 SERIES (7537) LAPTOP | CPU: Intel i7-4510U @ 2GHz | RAM: 8GB DDR3 @ 1600MHz (4GBX2) | GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M w/ 2GB VRAM | SSHD: 2.5" 1TB + 8GB Flash | Display: 15.6" 1920x1080 IPS w/ Multi-Touch | OS: Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit | Peripherals: Logitech M100 white mice | Sound:  Logitech Z130 2.0

OTHER DEVICES | Phone: Samsung Galaxy Alpha 32GB

It works.

The more you use it, the better it will become.

I don't have any issues when I use Vessel. I actually get far better performance using it. :)

the worst thing for me is definitely the home page, just get all GMM stuff, which i hated on You Tube, and still do on Vessel

Yeah even with 100mbps it's buffering at HD quality.... And there's no 1080p?! What??? It's paid right???

the worst thing for me is definitely the home page, just get all GMM stuff, which i hated on You Tube, and still do on Vessel

I agree but I don't hate them... I actually watch them every day... but still browsing through channels is a pain... It took me some time to found LinusTechTips even when I signed up using there link!

I don't have the buffer problem but the videos do seem to be in 720p and for no reason at all any video goes dead when it is finished, i can't go back nor refresh.  I prefer youtube.

A water-cooled mid-tier gaming PC.

Western EU here and using a 6mbps connection. I am have no issues. Loads instantly with HD quality on (not auto).  I honestly can't complain (about loading times/quality)

Rig: i7 2600K @ 4.2GHz, Larkooler Watercooling System, MSI Z68a-gd80-G3, 8GB G.Skill Sniper 1600MHz CL9, Gigabyte GTX 670 Windforce 3x 2GB OC, Samsung 840 250GB, 1TB WD Caviar Blue, Auzentech X-FI Forte 7.1, XFX PRO650W, Silverstone RV02 Monitors: Asus PB278Q, LG W2243S-PF (Gaming / overclocked to 74Hz) Peripherals: Logitech G9x Laser, QPad MK-50, AudioTechnica ATH AD700