i5 slower than i3?!

Tandemclown

i recently got a job so naturally i bought some new pc parts with my first pay, i used to run with a 280x and and i3 2100 and i have just recently noticed slowdowns in games compared to last years games, so i thought i would upgrade my motherboard and processor to just refresh the pc, i went with a asus b85 and a i5 4440 nothing fancy just an upgrade, but when i started up my system the fps in games is way lower than on my i3...

anyone have any ideá whats going on? i thought the processor would be a bottleneck but with a better processor the fps is lower...

any help is greatly appreciated!

Edit:

thanks for all the replies, i did a fresh install and still the pc was slow, took up the taskmanager and found my hdd was using 100% so i installed windows on a diffrent drive and voila!

But thanks for the info now i atleast know more about processor upgrades and whatnot!

greatly appreciated!

Did you do a fresh OS install?

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

i recently got a job so naturally i bought some new pc parts with my first pay, i used to run with a 280x and and i3 2100 and i have just recently noticed slowdowns in games compared to last years games, so i thought i would upgrade my motherboard and processor to just refresh the pc, i went with a asus b85 and a i5 4440 nothing fancy just an upgrade, but when i started up my system the fps in games is way lower than on my i3...

anyone have any ideá whats going on? i thought the processor would be a bottleneck but with a better processor the fps is lower...

Nope that i5 should be way faster.

Seems like a driver issue

Sounds like a driver issue like @lani100 said.
Otherwise, try to back up all your data and (steam) games and do a fresh windows install.

Did you do a fresh OS install?

If you didnt do a new operating system install then it could be trying to apply the i3 drivers to the i5 which would make your computer hate itself and yell (I DONT KNOW WHO I AM). If you did do a new OS install it could be issues with the motherboard as you got a bad one or something is setup horribly wrong. Well not horribly because then the computer wouldn't work but I think you know what I mean.

Did you reinstall windows after your upgrade? If not its most likely a driver issue.

Try to monitor your cpu and gpu clock and usage while gaming.

Try reinstalling your drivers.

Main PC: 4690k, LMG Edition G1 Gaming GTX 980, 16GB Hyper X Fury, Asus Z97-A, EVGA G2 850W, Crucial MX100 128GB, WD Red 1TB 2.5", Dark Rock 3

Laptop: Asus UX305 Monitor: Asus PB278Q Keyboard: Filco Majestouch 2 TKL Mouse: Corsair M65

Drivers is the key issue here. I am pretty sure if you went into device manager, and went to the processors, they would show i3 drivers for each core.

do a backup, and reinstall the OS. This should allow the OS to automatically pick up the i5 drivers, and should in the end show way better performance.

Let us know how it goes.

CPU: Pentium G3258 @ 3.2GHz || GPU:(first release,used) MSI R9 270 OC || Motherboard:MSI Z97-G45 Gaming Motherboard || RAM: 8 GB G.Skill Sniper 1600 || Monitors: Vizio 22 in Ultra slim 1080p TV || Storage: Seagate barracuda 160 GB 7200RPM,(REFURB) 1TB toshiba 7200RPM || PSU: (stripped from 2013 CAD PC)Corsair CX600 build was under $420

BE SURE TO FOLLOW YOUR THREADS! READ THIS BEFORE POSTING IN TROUBLESHOOTING!! http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/40334-read-before-asking-for-help/

Reinstall a fresh window will solve the issue. It's due to driver issue now.

Spoiler

[CPU] i5-4690K @ 4.5GHz with NZXT Kraken X61 [MOBO] Asus Z97-AR [Memory] HyperX Fury 32GB DDR3-1600 [Storage] Samsung 840 EVO 500GB & WD 1TB Black & Hitachi 1TB [GPU] Gigabyte GTX 1080 8GB Xtreme Gaming [Case] Corsair Air 540 [PSU] Cooler Master V1000 [Case Fan] Corsair SP140 LED Fan x 3 & SP120 LED Fan x 3 [Display] Main: Philips 31.5" FULL HD IPS | Side: Philips 28" 4K UHD [Keyboard] Razer Blackwidow Ultimate Stealth Edition [Mouse] Razer Ouroboros [Mouse Pad] Razer Firefly [Sound] BOSE Companion 5 Multimedia Speaker System

If you didnt do a new operating system install then it could be trying to apply the i3 drivers to the i5 which would make your computer hate itself and yell (I DONT KNOW WHO I AM). If you did do a new OS install it could be issues with the motherboard as you got a bad one or something is setup horribly wrong. Well not horribly because then the computer wouldn't work but I think you know what I mean.

CPUs don't use drivers. Changing out CPUs will not inherently do anything.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Do something for me godlygamer, go into device manager under processor and double click on one of your cores that pops up. then go to drivers tab. see how you can see driver details and other buttons. (proof it uses drivers)

All hardware use drivers, drivers are simply telling your hardware how to work, even if you don't install the drivers yourself your computer has a vast amount of drivers built into the OS. They are stored in a location called a driver store. With the proper cmd command you can even add your own drivers to the driver store so you can have graphics cards and other things as plug and play.

It's a driver issue just do a fresh Windows install and you will be back to gaming

Do something for me godlygamer, go into device manager under processor and double click on one of your cores that pops up. then go to drivers tab. see how you can see driver details and other buttons. (proof it uses drivers)

All hardware use drivers, drivers are simply telling your hardware how to work, even if you don't install the drivers yourself your computer has a vast amount of drivers built into the OS. They are stored in a location called a driver store. With the proper cmd command you can even add your own drivers to the driver store so you can have graphics cards and other things as plug and play.

They're shown as devices. That's it. If I have no driver for a device, and I plug that in. It comes up as Unknown Device. Device Manager is literally a place where devices are listed. It may or may not require drivers.

I'll also look later to see the drivers tab.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

They're shown as devices. That's it. If I have no driver for a device, and I plug that in. It comes up as Unknown Device. Device Manager is literally a place where devices are listed. It may or may not require drivers.

I'll also look later to see the drivers tab.

It doesn't matter what hardware it is, a piece of hardware cannot operate without a driver, its the piece of software that tells the hardware how to work and communicate with other hardware.

It doesn't matter what hardware it is, a piece of hardware cannot operate without a driver, its the piece of software that tells the hardware how to work and communicate with other hardware.

It would seem that I am incorrect. I believe this because Microsoft's own support page has an article about reinstalling a processor driver.

Nope but that new asus b85 motherboard might.

Rig: i7 2600K @ 4.2GHz, Larkooler Watercooling System, MSI Z68a-gd80-G3, 8GB G.Skill Sniper 1600MHz CL9, Gigabyte GTX 670 Windforce 3x 2GB OC, Samsung 840 250GB, 1TB WD Caviar Blue, Auzentech X-FI Forte 7.1, XFX PRO650W, Silverstone RV02 Monitors: Asus PB278Q, LG W2243S-PF (Gaming / overclocked to 74Hz) Peripherals: Logitech G9x Laser, QPad MK-50, AudioTechnica ATH AD700

It would seem that I am incorrect. I believe this because Microsoft's own support page has an article about reinstalling a processor driver.

I respect you for this post.  :)

While normally an issue with re-installing driver/chipset/Intel software.. to which I'd say it is so...

I had a thought, which isn't relevant,.. you can disregard it after reading.

The i3 MAY have a higher frequency and the game does not use more then a couple of cores.

Higher Frequency = Higher IPC = Better gaming for those core limited titles. The ONLY way I see this happening,.. and it's rare enough..

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

While normally an issue with re-installing driver/chipset/Intel software.. to which I'd say it is so...

I had a thought, which isn't relevant,.. you can disregard it after reading.

The i3 MAY have a higher frequency and the game does not use more then a couple of cores.

Higher Frequency = Higher IPC = Better gaming for those core limited titles. The ONLY way I see this happening,.. and it's rare enough..

The i5 is Haswell based and the i3 is Sandy Bridge based. Isn't the performance difference from Sandy to Haswell like 15%?

The i5 is Haswell based and the i3 is Sandy Bridge based. Isn't the performance difference from Sandy to Haswell like 15%?

Your right,..Oop I read the model number wrong,.. bit of the ol 4:30am dyslexia happening....

Thanks for making me aware..

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

Thank god somebody said it before I went crazy.

The motherboard in this case would pose a problem as to my knowledge no LGA board supports both LGA1150 and the i3-2100

From what I heard the performance difference in frequency was more like 10% between Haswell and SB (I've done way more than a healthy amount of testing with the 2500k and 2600k overclocking and comparing to nearly confirm this) 

I generally use World of Warcraft and Unigine Heaven to directly compare per-core performance of two CPUs when it comes to gaming, as they utilize higher clock speeds the most out of any game I know. The WoW benchmark was a little tricker to set up but whatever.

The i5-4440 I believe can be upclocked to a base 3.5 or 3.4GHZ (which I heavily recommend you do as 99% of the time it doesn't take any extra voltage and just requires you to change the multiplier. What motherboard did you come from and what board are you using now? Did you uninstall your old board drivers for the new ones? When it comes to per-core of the 2100 vs the 4440 the 4440 wins across the board as Haswell is a powerhouse when it comes to per-core.

HydrOS (Waterworks 3.0) Pictures: // One // Two // Three

i7 5820k @ 4.3GHz (1.165v) // Asus X99-A // 16GB-DDR4 Vengeance 2400 CAS13 // RAID 0 Intel 730 240GB // Nvidia Titan X (+200Core +500Memory) // Swiftech D5 // ASUS ROG SWIFT

I was sure that processors were driverless. I guess I was wrong, I now have to unlike your posts now xD

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

thanks for all the replies, i did a fresh install and still the pc was slow, took up the taskmanager and found my hdd was using 100% so i installed windows on a diffrent drive and voila!

But thanks for the info now i atleast know more about processor upgrades and whatnot!

greatly appreciated!

I was sure that processors were driverless. I guess I was wrong, I now have to unlike your posts now xD

That's not a driver by the way, if what my Intel contact has told me is correct they refer to it as that for simplicity sake. Want proof? Disconnect from the internet, install a 4770k in a Z97 and run a benchmark with the 4770k at 3.5GHz, then install a 4790k and run the same test clocked at 3.5GHz. Results will be the same without any connection to the internet to download new software and PC will run fine. Then take both CPUs and mail them to me along with the Z97 motherboard to further prove this point for science.

HydrOS (Waterworks 3.0) Pictures: // One // Two // Three

i7 5820k @ 4.3GHz (1.165v) // Asus X99-A // 16GB-DDR4 Vengeance 2400 CAS13 // RAID 0 Intel 730 240GB // Nvidia Titan X (+200Core +500Memory) // Swiftech D5 // ASUS ROG SWIFT