Odd smells and high pitch noise

Harbz
Go to solution Solved by Harbz,

@G33k 4 L1F3, i have just replaced my soundcard, and everything is now working fine. So i guess it was my own doing of not connecting the molex properly coz im just an idiot lol.

@dragoon20005 and @shert73, i have done that, it all smelt fine, and like i said before i just replaced the soundcard and everything seems to be working fine.

I will give u guys an update tomorrow letting you know if it comes back.

Thanks a ton again guys for all the help.

Hi guys, i just put together my first pc on my own, and seem to ran into issues.... Specs : i7 4790K, MSi Gaming 3 Mobo, 16GB Ram - 2133Mhz, currently running at 1333Mhz will change that later, EVGA GTX980 FTW, Corsair 860i PSU, Asus Xonar Xense Soundcard, 500 GB Samsung SSD, 2tb Seagate Hardive, case - Phanteks Enthoo Luxe.

Strang thiing is the noise comes and goes, a long with the smell.... But whenever i stick my head into the Case and take a wiff of it its just the smell of new components, not the odd burning smell.... I have discconected my Sound Card as the sound seemed to come from the Molex connecter area. I hate Molex connectors, so it maybe that i may not have connected it properly, but i have no idea when it is and when it isnt lol

sorry if im making no sense, or if i typed words incorrectly, just posting from my phone in a bit of a panick state... LOOOL

Thanks for the help in advance 

Harbs

High-pitch noise is most likely coil while.

As for the smell, well idk for sure in your case, but new PC parts do have a smell to them :P

"Rawr XD"

Hi guys, i just put together my first pc on my own, and seem to ran into issues.... Specs : i7 4790K, MSi Gaming 3 Mobo, 16GB Ram - 2133Mhz, currently running at 1333Mhz will change that later, EVGA GTX980 FTW, Corsair 860i PSU, Asus Xonar Xense Soundcard, 500 GB Samsung SSD, 2tb Seagate Hardive, case - Phanteks Enthoo Luxe.

Strang thiing is the noise comes and goes, a long with the smell.... But whenever i stick my head into the Case and take a wiff of it its just the smell of new components, not the odd burning smell.... I have discconected my Sound Card as the sound seemed to come from the Molex connecter area. I hate Molex connectors, so it maybe that i may not have connected it properly, but i have no idea when it is and when it isnt lol

sorry if im making no sense, or if i typed words incorrectly, just posting from my phone in a bit of a panick state... LOOOL

Thanks for the help in advance 

Harbs

Is the noise a whine? If it is, it could be coil whine.

What does it smell like specifically? And follow your topic if you wan't to get notifications.

Spoiler

CPU intel potato2 | Motherboard xpotato69 | RAM DDRPotato | GPU potato 6969 Ti | Case potato curbiide | Storage WD potato GB grey | PSU lakesonic 69 potato Watts | Display(s)69" 0.5K potato 69*69 | Cooling 4 heatpipe fried potato | Keyboard 69 key potato switches | Mouse yukon gold potato | Sound 6.9 surround potato | Operating System OS69 potato

CPU I7 5700HQ |  RAM 8gb DDR3 | GPU GTX 960M | Storage 1 TB HGST HDD | Display 15.6" 1080p IPS panel | Keyboard Steelseries RGB | Operating System Windows 10

CPU R7 3800x |  RAM 32 GB 3200MHZ DDR4| GPU RX 5700XT Ref. | Storage 1TB m.2 NVME, 2x 500GB SSD, 4TB and 750gb hdd | Display LG 32GK850F-BKeyboard Aorus K7 with reds | PSU Corsair RM750X | Case Corsair 275R | Operating System Windows 10

OK thanks for the follow advice, smell idk how to explain it, smelled of a mixture of the new parts along with something burning..... it just came when the noise came, thats exactly when i noticed it. Im prety sure its not coil whine, coz i have heard coil whine before from my old EVGA GTX 670 FTW, its more of an high pitch electrical noise, like as if something wasnt connected properly.... So thats why im quessing i didnt connect the Molex properly. Also since i have disconnected it the noise has not come back but the smell still lingures but thats probs just me, i tend to do shit like that in my head lol

Test your hardware outside the case, and don't worry about your ram speed, you are not going to notice difference between 1333 and 2133MHz most of the times.

The stars died for you to be here today.

A locked bathroom in the right place can make all the difference in the world.

It might be a fan causing the problem. the fan in question might be wobbly when running higher, and burns itself out a little bit, causing the burning smell when the sound comes. I'd check every fan, including the stock fan cooler, to see if you can pin point which fan is causing the problem.

CPU: Pentium G3258 @ 3.2GHz || GPU:(first release,used) MSI R9 270 OC || Motherboard:MSI Z97-G45 Gaming Motherboard || RAM: 8 GB G.Skill Sniper 1600 || Monitors: Vizio 22 in Ultra slim 1080p TV || Storage: Seagate barracuda 160 GB 7200RPM,(REFURB) 1TB toshiba 7200RPM || PSU: (stripped from 2013 CAD PC)Corsair CX600 build was under $420

BE SURE TO FOLLOW YOUR THREADS! READ THIS BEFORE POSTING IN TROUBLESHOOTING!! http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/40334-read-before-asking-for-help/

@GoldSrc i put it all together outside the case, and installed windows on it ourside the case, its since i placed it in to the case i notice this noise and Smell.

@ G33k 4 L1F3 I think checking the case fans could help... will see today thanks :)

Thanks for the suiggestions guys.

Is your motherboard and all cables placed correctly in the case?, try putting a few components at a time.

The stars died for you to be here today.

A locked bathroom in the right place can make all the difference in the world.

@GoldSrc i put it all together outside the case, and installed windows on it ourside the case, its since i placed it in to the case i notice this noise and Smell.

@ G33k 4 L1F3 I think checking the case fans could help... will see today thanks :)

Thanks for the suiggestions guys.

Have you come to the problem at hand, or are you still having the problems?

CPU: Pentium G3258 @ 3.2GHz || GPU:(first release,used) MSI R9 270 OC || Motherboard:MSI Z97-G45 Gaming Motherboard || RAM: 8 GB G.Skill Sniper 1600 || Monitors: Vizio 22 in Ultra slim 1080p TV || Storage: Seagate barracuda 160 GB 7200RPM,(REFURB) 1TB toshiba 7200RPM || PSU: (stripped from 2013 CAD PC)Corsair CX600 build was under $420

BE SURE TO FOLLOW YOUR THREADS! READ THIS BEFORE POSTING IN TROUBLESHOOTING!! http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/40334-read-before-asking-for-help/

Smell in the PSU fan area. Maybe a bad PSU or may be on its way to being a bad PSU.

<p>CPU: Intel i7 4790k(4.9GHz), Motherboard: ASUS sabertooth Z97 Mark 1 RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB (2 x 8GB) GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 4GB Superclocked ACX 2.0 (2 way SLI) PSU: EVGA 850w G2 Storage: Intel 730 Series 240GB 2.5" SSD, Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB Case: NZXT H440 Designed by Razer, EK,Alphacool,Bitspower custom loop.

“Peace cannot be kept by force. It can only be achieved by understanding.”

Albert Einstein 14 December 1930

ok use your nose and sniff like a dog

open up the side panel and smell the source

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

@G33k 4 L1F3, i have just replaced my soundcard, and everything is now working fine. So i guess it was my own doing of not connecting the molex properly coz im just an idiot lol.

@dragoon20005 and @shert73, i have done that, it all smelt fine, and like i said before i just replaced the soundcard and everything seems to be working fine.

I will give u guys an update tomorrow letting you know if it comes back.

Thanks a ton again guys for all the help.

Do you know how a fresh book smells? Same thing applies to Pc parts :) the high pitch noise is most likely coil whine on your motherboard or gp. I'd say more the gpu since that's now the first time I heard the ftw cards whine.

See my blog for amusing encounters from IT workplace: http://linustechtips.com/main/blog/585-life-of-a-techie/

OK thanks for the follow advice, smell idk how to explain it, smelled of a mixture of the new parts along with something burning..... it just came when the noise came, thats exactly when i noticed it. Im prety sure its not coil whine, coz i have heard coil whine before from my old EVGA GTX 670 FTW, its more of an high pitch electrical noise, like as if something wasnt connected properly.... So thats why im quessing i didnt connect the Molex properly. Also since i have disconnected it the noise has not come back but the smell still lingures but thats probs just me, i tend to do shit like that in my head lol

Is this sound coming from your speakers?

If so, it could be the molex connector, or it could be a wire going across the sound card causing interference. 

Or the sound card is just bad.

As for the smell, that is "normal".

From what i can tell, you're smelling kinda like a burning pcb/new part smell.

Every single part that I have ordered new has made this smell for a few days.

Keep a close eye on your system for a few days, and don't leave it on overnight. It SHOULD be fine.

Spoiler

I7 4790K @4.5 Ghz 1.294V

VALIDATION, MSI Z97 Gaming 7, 24GB DDR3 1600, Asus Strix 1070 8GB OC@ 2.2Ghz, Corsair graphite series 760T (Black), Cooler master V850, NH-D15 w/LNA ,1TB Samsung 850 Evo,  480GB Sandisk Ultra II SSD, 3TB Seagate Barracuda x 3, 1 TB WD Passport (Backup drive), 2 TB WD Passport (Backup Drive 2),  Windows 10 Pro x64 (uhg), Logitech G900 Chaos (Main), Steelseries Rival (FADE) (Courtesy of Edzel Yago, Thanks Ed), Steelsieres Rival 300 Hyperbeast Special Edition, Coolermaster Quickfire TKL (MX Blue), Razer Blackwidow Tournament edition (Greens).  Audio: Sennheiser HD598 SE, Edifier S1000DB, AudioEngine D1 DAC; Yamaha MG06X Mixer & AudioTechnica AT2020.

Phones; Daily drivers: Nexus 6P 64GB/iPhone 6 (Music), Apple Watch, Apple AirPods.

Laptop: 2015 Macbook Pro 13, 8GB of RAM, 2.7Ghz i5, 240GB Apple SSD. 

Spoiler

Plex Server: i7 3770, Gigabyte Board, 16GB DDR3 1600, Asus Strix GTX 1050ti 4GB, 120GB SSD Boot Drive, 8 x 3TB Seagate Barracuda, Rosewill RSV-R4000 With 2 Rosewill Hot Swap 4x Backplane Bays, 1050 Watt Corsair HX Series PSU,Hyper T2, Windows 10 Pro 

I also do Youtube, check me out!

OK guys all is well, no more sounds, no more smells... Sorry for the late update, been really busy with University stuff

Thanks for your help and your suggestions :)

OK guys all is well, no more sounds, no more smells... Sorry for the late update, been really busy with University stuff

Thanks for your help and your suggestions :)

Mark the topic as solved please :)

Spoiler

I7 4790K @4.5 Ghz 1.294V

VALIDATION, MSI Z97 Gaming 7, 24GB DDR3 1600, Asus Strix 1070 8GB OC@ 2.2Ghz, Corsair graphite series 760T (Black), Cooler master V850, NH-D15 w/LNA ,1TB Samsung 850 Evo,  480GB Sandisk Ultra II SSD, 3TB Seagate Barracuda x 3, 1 TB WD Passport (Backup drive), 2 TB WD Passport (Backup Drive 2),  Windows 10 Pro x64 (uhg), Logitech G900 Chaos (Main), Steelseries Rival (FADE) (Courtesy of Edzel Yago, Thanks Ed), Steelsieres Rival 300 Hyperbeast Special Edition, Coolermaster Quickfire TKL (MX Blue), Razer Blackwidow Tournament edition (Greens).  Audio: Sennheiser HD598 SE, Edifier S1000DB, AudioEngine D1 DAC; Yamaha MG06X Mixer & AudioTechnica AT2020.

Phones; Daily drivers: Nexus 6P 64GB/iPhone 6 (Music), Apple Watch, Apple AirPods.

Laptop: 2015 Macbook Pro 13, 8GB of RAM, 2.7Ghz i5, 240GB Apple SSD. 

Spoiler

Plex Server: i7 3770, Gigabyte Board, 16GB DDR3 1600, Asus Strix GTX 1050ti 4GB, 120GB SSD Boot Drive, 8 x 3TB Seagate Barracuda, Rosewill RSV-R4000 With 2 Rosewill Hot Swap 4x Backplane Bays, 1050 Watt Corsair HX Series PSU,Hyper T2, Windows 10 Pro 

I also do Youtube, check me out!