Why do people overclock?

Hello everyone,

Now recently I was checking out some benchmarks for GAMING and it seem that going for 4690 instead of the K variants was a complete non brainier. The performance differences were about 6-9% going from stock 4690k into the 4.7GHZ. Now that's 6-9% whats the point? You need to buy a good cooler a z(branded motherboard) pay around 100$ for 6-9% gain at best? The eliminating bottlenecks argument won't work here since the 4690 will not bottleneck anything anyway for the next 3 years and surely 6-9% difference is not going to make big difference in performance anyway. Please maybe I don't understand something clear this thing up for me. The more I think about it the more I feel like overclocking, water, air is just a luxury for PC gamer's.

Because we can. That's why.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Free performance for a small risk (in most cases)

And its a hobby, if people want that 6-9% they shall have it

Generally that's the case, but you can easily fry your PSU messing with the voltages etc.

You're right, OCing doesn't give massive performance gains on your CPU.  

But, for PC Enthusiasts any bit of performance is a bonus, and many want to take advantage of that as much as they can.

Also, OCing can also present some advantages for productivity applications.

Free performance, that can really help out a lot, and it only take about 3 clicks and typing in 2 numbers.

My Rig:  CPU: Core i7 4790K @4.8ghz  Motherboard: Asus Maximus Vii Hero  Ram: 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 2400mhz (Red)  Cooling: Corsair H105, 2x Corsair SP120 High Preformance Editions, Corsair AF 140 Quiet Edition  PSU: Corsair RM 850  GPU: EVGA GTX 980 SC ACX 2.0  Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB, WD Blue 1TB  Case Corsair 760t (Black)  Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Chroma  Mouse: Razer Deathadder Chroma  Headset: ATH-M50X Mic: Blue Yeti Blackout

Why do people fine tune their track cars? To get that extra half of a second off of their lap time. 

Why do people overclock? To get that extra 2 frames.

Same thing. 

It's an improvement obsession. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

Free performance! :P

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

Bragging rights, obviously. At least with Broadwell's i5. There are other CPUs which vastly benefit from overclocking like the Pentium G3258.

Some people like to overclock as a hobby as well, when you think about it the i5 4690k doesn't make sense from a price to performance standpoint compared to its locked variants.

Hey, even Space Shuttle's Main Engines throttle up to 109%!

Any unknown button should be pressed even number of times.

Free performance boost. And ya gotta go fasts.

1385136139955.png

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Generally that's the case, but you can easily fry your PSU messing with the voltages etc.

Uh not your PSU usually but most definitely your CPU

Free Performance. It's like saying why not make your car go faster. If you could press one button to make cut down a 0 - 60 time. WOuldn't you? 

The time you enjoy wasting, is not wasted time. 

I've never heard of anyone frying a psu from overclocking :blink:

I overclocked my Phenom II X6 (+1GHz) to keep up with the Intel i7 920...

It didn't quite do the trick... but it was better than stock.

Free performance, that can really help out a lot, and it only take about 3 clicks and typing in 2 numbers.

Not nessasarily. That free performance comes with the cost of having a K series chip and a cooler to let it happen.

Not being funny or anything but if you have a supply that can be fried by messing around with the voltage on a normal, enthusiast level then you shouldn't be overclocking. A decent supply wont get fried by messing around with the voltages a bit.

@Enflics Everyone's saying "free performance" well like I said, this performance gain is very small, and really not worth the price you pay for it (referring to the 4690k)

The benefit of overclocking your CPU varies with the chip at hand. The 4690k offers marginal returns with an overclock.

So no need to be skeptical, the situation is really what it seems like.

Why do people fine tune their track cars? To get that extra half of a second off of their lap time. 

Why do people overclock? To get that extra 2 frames.

Same thing. 

It's an improvement obsession. 

^ This. And who doesn't like beating records? Some people like me enjoy it, and others are scared of it, some don't care at all, and others might've been a bit dumb and pumped stupid amounts of voltage through such as a CPU and are now too scared to overclock... (Someone I know was a idiot and did this.. Pumped like 1.5v through a i7 950 and used it daily like that and it committed suicide after 2ish months)

If you're worried, and unsure about something with one of your components to overclock, do a bit of reading up on it to know. :)

Spoiler

Senor Shiny: Main- CPU Intel i7 6700k 4.7GHz @1.42v | RAM G.Skill TridentZ CL16 3200 | GPU Asus Strix GTX 1070 (2100/2152) | Motherboard ASRock Z170 OC Formula | HDD Seagate 1TB x2 | SSD 850 EVO 120GB | CASE NZXT S340 (Black) | PSU Supernova G2 750W  | Cooling NZXT Kraken X62 w/Vardars
Secondary (Plex): CPU Intel Xeon E3-1230 v3 @1.099v | RAM Samsun Wonder 16GB CL9 1600 (sadly no oc) | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | Motherboard ASRock H97M-Pro4 | HDDs Seagate 1TB, WD Blue 1TB, WD Blue 3TB | Case Corsair Air 240 (Black) | PSU EVGA 600B | Cooling GeminII S524

Spoiler

(Deceased) DangerousNotDell- CPU AMD AMD FX 8120 @4.8GHz 1.42v | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | RAM Samsung Wonder 8GB (CL9 2133MHz 1.6v) | Motherboard Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z | Cooling EVO 212 | Case Rosewill Redbone | PSU EVGA 600B | HDD Seagate 1TB

DangerousNotDell New Parts For Main Rig Build Log, Señor Shiny  I am a beautiful person. The comments for your help. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book.

You can't have a cooler e-penis. Oh wait, I don't have such thing. Still it's fun and foremost education. Or just addiction, probably that. 

Alright thanks everyone for the input I understand now!