GPU/PCI-E expansion card in 5.25" bay? why not?

Japanese Media Akiba PC Hotline reported, an interesting PC accessory from Bplus Technology called "PE4F" is now available in Japan for 10800 Japanese Yen (around $90, official price is $50 @www.bplus.com.tw). With this you can mount a GPU/ PCI-E exapnsion card on yr unused 5.25" bay.

pe4f1.jpg

PE4F_V1.1_L_1.jpg

PE4F_5_1.jpg

This kit is essentially a PCI-E 2.0 4X extender with custom made pcb and bracket, and some custom front panels for different sizes of GPU/Expansion cards. This kit provided a PCI Express expansion solution for PCI Express cards at front drive bay of Desktop PC.. The kit comes with 3 different front panels, 2 of them, which are both for single-slot cards, will take up one 5.25" bay. The difference between the two is one of them is for low profile cards, while the other is for full-height cards. The third one will take up two 5.25" bays, and it is for dual-slot, full-height cards.

IMO, for GPU this kit may not be that useful. Since this is only a PCIe Gen 2 x4 extender, you will be suffered from bandwidth limitation. Thus you won't put a high performance GPU in it. I think this kit may be useful for miners who still uses a traditional case with many 5.25" drive bays, or workstations which the pci slots are fully occupied with computation accelators like Tesla cards or Xeon Phi, and a video card is need for video output. But for pci-e expansion cards, like usb 3.0 cards, or capture card, this could be useful. You need not to go to the rear side of yr computer and try to find the correct connectors, you can just plug the connectors on the front, which is much faster, and require much less effort. I hope Bplus could change the front panel's design in the next-gen product (if they will make one), because it is functional, but not necessarily good looking.

Spec listed on the official website

Function

5.25" ODD form factor.

Supports Quad-lane PCI Express Bandwidth.

Compliant with PCI Express base specification revision 2.0.

PCIe Gen 2 x4.

Provides the PCI Express expansion solution for PCI Express cards at front drive bay of Desktop PC.

System Requirements

Desktop PC with an available PCI express slot. (x4, x8, x16)

Available PC case front drive bay slot.

Windows 8 (32-/64-bit) / 7 (32-/64-bit) / Vista (32-/64-bit) SP2 or later/ XP (32-/64-bit) SP3 or later.

Specification

Compliant with PCI Express 2.0 Specification: Maximum 20Gbps.(5Gbps x4).

PCIe slot can support x1, x4, x8, x16.

Front factor support High/low profile, Single/dual bay.

Provides the PCI Express expansion solution for PCI Express x4 host cards.

Power connector: One ATX (molex) 4pin power connector.

Dimensions : 15cm * 14.5cm * 2.5cm.

Certification : RoHs

Different front panels

pe4f5.jpg

pe4f3.jpg

Single Slot, low profile

PE4F_VGA_L_1.jpg

PE4F_VGA_Panel_L_1.jpg

Single Slot, full height

PE4F_VGA_M_1.jpg

PE4F_VGA_Panel_H_1.jpg

Dual Slot, full height

PE4F_VGA_H_1.jpg

PE4F_VGA_Panel_2H_1.jpg

http://www.bplus.com.tw/Adapter/PE4F.html

http://akiba-pc.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/news/news/20150323_693990.html( in Japanese)

Hell yeah. Now I can Quad SLI my computer. Fuck yeah.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

Who would want to actually do this?

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

I don't think there are sli bridges that can extend that far....

They'll innovate!

GPUs? Virtually no one. Things like NICs or Capture Cards? Many people might

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X - CPU Cooler: Deepcool Castle 240EX - Motherboard: MSI B450 GAMING PRO CARBON AC

RAM: 2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RBG 3200MHz - GPU: MSI RTX 3080 GAMING X TRIO

I would have a couple uses for this. One of them in the past that I've needed is a front mounted NIC, so I don't have to reach around the back of my server for temporary connections. I also draw things, but sometimes I have to trace things using a old monitor, so I could plug the monitor into the front of the case making it easier.

That is pretty much only useful in the shitty PCIE 2.0 x16 (actually x2, x4 if I disable both PCIE x1 slots) slot on my H87M-Pro.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Oh wait, it takes up 2 bays??? Ooops, fuck that, only SLI then.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

GPUs? Virtually no one. Things like NICs or Capture Cards? Many people might

Now that's an interesting idea.

there are one bay options....

you can sli 2 or more single slot 750ti...

there are one bay options....

you can sli 2 or more single slot 750ti...

You can't SLI 750Tis.

Why someone would want cables sticking out the front of there case is beyond me, hell i hate using my front i/o already lol

Would be alright for a bitcoin rig or for nics/raid cards

I don't think there are sli bridges that can extend that far....

It's a custom from a GTX 580 sli build I found with a quick google images search 'long sli bridge'

dscn0120m

I run my browser through NSA ports to make their illegal jobs easier. :P
If it's not broken, take it apart and fix it.
http://pcpartpicker.com/b/fGM8TW

I can almost see, why they did thi- Nope, can't find the point of it.

ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ raise your dongers ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ

It feels as though no games ever leave the BETA stage anymore, until about 3 years after it officially releases. - Shd0w2 2014

Would be alright for a bitcoin rig or for nics/raid cards

Most people that really want as many cards as they can fit on a motherboard for coin mining wouldn't bother with the extra cost of a case anyway.

Spoiler

4790k @ 4.5Ghz 1.180v NZXT Kraken X31 | MSI Z97 Krait | Kingston Hyper X Fury 32GB 1866Mhz, 2 DIMMs white and 2 black | GTX 980 Ti - G1 Gaming | GTX 680 - Reference | SilverStone ST75F-P | Phanteks Enthoo Pro

these could be nice for watercooled desks if they make pcie 3.0 16x versions. you can slot them better into the frame.

This is a lot more useful than everyone is giving it credit for, especially for something like a 2u case. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

This would be more useful for other PCI devices. Cards with ports you commonly access that are usually only on the back.

what if you put 2 cards with the appropriate IO under water and then SLIed them in there. 295x2 ares could do it.

Desktop -  i5 4670k, GTX 770, Maximums VI Hero, 2X Kingston Hyper X 3k in raid zero.

Laptop - Lenovo X230 Intel 535 480GB, 16GB Gskill memory, Classic Keyboard Mod, Triple USB 3.0 Express Card.

what if you put 2 cards with the appropriate IO under water and then SLIed them in there. 295x2 ares could do it.

but the ares are too pretty to keep them hidden in there

but the ares are too pretty to keep them hidden in there

but what if you had already filled all your other expansion slots with them and you needed to fit more in.

Desktop -  i5 4670k, GTX 770, Maximums VI Hero, 2X Kingston Hyper X 3k in raid zero.

Laptop - Lenovo X230 Intel 535 480GB, 16GB Gskill memory, Classic Keyboard Mod, Triple USB 3.0 Express Card.