Windows 7 suddenly tells me that my software isn't legitimate anymore?

JorenBus

Hello all,

I've had this PC for a while now, and I recently made some upgrades, including an SSD instead of a HDD.

Today I suddenly got a message that my Windows isn't legitimate, while this is the same Windows that came with my PC (Acer).

So it's a legitimate copy of Windows.

Also on my desktop it says 'Windows 7, build 7601, this copy isn't legitimate'.

How is this possible?

Thanks

CPU: Core i5 4690k                                                   Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97M                     RAM: 16GB HyperX Fury Red                             

GPU: RX 580                                                             Storage: Sandisk Ultra II 240GB                  PSU: Seasonic M12II Evo 520W

Case: NZXT S340 red/black                                      Case lighting: NZXT Hue+                          Mouse: Logitech G502

Cooling: Cooler Master Hyper212 Evo                     Operating system: Windows 10 64-bit

Probably cause you swapped some components in your system

I actually couldn't underclock my 5 year old GPU to make it as slow as a next-gen console.

#pcmasterraceproblems

~Slick

use your serial to activate again. Big hardware changes will cause windows to fail to activate.

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

Did you reactivate it with the key when you installed it on your SSD?

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Probably cause you swapped some components in your system

That was about a month ago, and I used Acer eRecovery Management to do that.

CPU: Core i5 4690k                                                   Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97M                     RAM: 16GB HyperX Fury Red                             

GPU: RX 580                                                             Storage: Sandisk Ultra II 240GB                  PSU: Seasonic M12II Evo 520W

Case: NZXT S340 red/black                                      Case lighting: NZXT Hue+                          Mouse: Logitech G502

Cooling: Cooler Master Hyper212 Evo                     Operating system: Windows 10 64-bit

Did you reactivate it with the key when you installed it on your SSD?

use your serial to activate again. Big hardware changes will cause windows to fail to activate.

I don't have the code anymore, this PC is 5+ years old.

if you upgrade a mobo or some parts, it will deactivate your windows install. Call microsoft and explain that you made some upgrades and they'll help resolve your issue.

edit: if you don't have the activation code, you might be able to use the PC's serial number or the Genuine Windows sticker somewhere on the outside of the case.

INTEL CORE I5 4670K | NVIDIA GTX 980 | NOCTUA NH-L9i | GIGABYTE GA-Z97X-SLI | KINGSTON 120GB V300

CM STORM QUICKFIRE TK | BENQ XL2420TE | ROCCAT SAVU | FRACTAL DEFINE R4

I don't have the code anymore, this PC is 5+ years old.

well then youre going to need to buy a new copy of windows...

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

if you upgrade a mobo, it will deactivate your windows install. Call microsoft and explain that you made some upgrades and they'll help resolve your issue.

Yes, I did upgrade my mobo, since the old one died on me.

Windows uses some idiotic HWID system that locks your copy of windows to your hardware. Call up microsoft/windows support.

Sorry if my post offended your entire family, but I get kind of defensive when I'm high...

Yes, I did upgrade my mobo, since the old one died on me.

that would be the cause of your issue. the only real way to fix it would be to call microsoft

INTEL CORE I5 4670K | NVIDIA GTX 980 | NOCTUA NH-L9i | GIGABYTE GA-Z97X-SLI | KINGSTON 120GB V300

Open notepad, paste this

Set WshShell = CreateObject("WScript.Shell")MsgBox ConvertToKey(WshShell.RegRead("HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\DigitalProductId"))Function ConvertToKey(Key)Const KeyOffset = 52i = 28Chars = "BCDFGHJKMPQRTVWXY2346789"DoCur = 0x = 14DoCur = Cur * 256Cur = Key(x + KeyOffset) + CurKey(x + KeyOffset) = (Cur \ 24) And 255Cur = Cur Mod 24x = x -1Loop While x >= 0i = i -1KeyOutput = Mid(Chars, Cur + 1, 1) & KeyOutputIf (((29 - i) Mod 6) = 0) And (i <> -1) Theni = i -1KeyOutput = "-" & KeyOutputEnd IfLoop While i >= 0ConvertToKey = KeyOutputEnd Function

save as something.vbs and open it

Tried that, I entered the code it gave me, and then it gives me error 0xC004E003.

In case Microsoft isn't able/won't to help you, you could use KMSpico as a last resort. It's illegal, and I don't like even mentioning it on here. But considering you've actually bought a PC that came with a legitimate version of Windows that you still use, it would be acceptable in my eyes. 

I have never let my schooling interfere with my education. - Mark Twain

Then just call microsoft

In case Microsoft isn't able/won't to help you, you could use KMSpico as a last resort. It's illegal, and I don't like even mentioning it on here. But considering you've actually bought a PC that came with a legitimate version of Windows that you still use, it would be acceptable in my eyes. 

Alright, I'll just call Microsoft then after the weekend. Thanks for the help!

Windows uses some idiotic HWID system that locks your copy of windows to your hardware. Call up microsoft/windows support.

that would be the cause of your issue. the only real way to fix it would be to call microsoft

Then just call microsoft

I just called Microsoft, they say they can't help me either, because the Windows code is indeed connected with the motherboard...

I just found the product key somewhere hidden on my PC, entered that code, and the activation worked :D

Well now I feel kind of dumb *facepalm*

I just found the product key somewhere hidden on my PC, entered that code, and the activation worked :D

Well now I feel kind of dumb *facepalm*

Glad it's resolved, activation can be a bitch, but funtip: put the key in a text file and never have the problem again

CPU  5820k - 4.0GHz @ 1.27V  |  MOBO X99-Pro  |  RAM 16GB Ballistic @ 2133MHz  |  PSU HX750i 

COOLING  Kraken X61 - 6x NF-A14 iPPC  |  DRIVES  256GB 950 Pro - 2x 1TB Travelstar - 1x 1TB WD Black

GPU  EVGA GTX980 SC |  CASE  R5  |  OS  Win 8.1 Pro  |  MISC   Cablemod C-Series White Set

Glad it's resolved, activation can be a bitch, but funtip: put the key in a text file and never have the problem again

until your hdd gets corrupt and you have to re-install

until your hdd gets corrupt and you have to re-install

Well ideally you wouldn't have it on the system drive, mcderp. A flash drive, or other internal drive, or the mysterious CLOUD

CPU  5820k - 4.0GHz @ 1.27V  |  MOBO X99-Pro  |  RAM 16GB Ballistic @ 2133MHz  |  PSU HX750i 

COOLING  Kraken X61 - 6x NF-A14 iPPC  |  DRIVES  256GB 950 Pro - 2x 1TB Travelstar - 1x 1TB WD Black

GPU  EVGA GTX980 SC |  CASE  R5  |  OS  Win 8.1 Pro  |  MISC   Cablemod C-Series White Set