Microsoft will upgrade illegitimate copies of Windows for free

Oshino Shinobu

windows-10-logo-windows-91-640x353.jpg

Microsoft has announced that it wants to "re-engage" with its users, particularly in China. So what are they doing? Upgrading pirated version of Windows too. 

“We are upgrading all qualified PCs, genuine and non-genuine, to Windows 10,” said Microsoft’s OS head, Terry Myerson in a phone call with Reuters. He went on to state that the reason for this was because Microsoft wanted to “re-engage,” with all of the hundreds of millions of Windows users in China. The lack of clarification comes from the fact that he didn’t elaborate on whether that meant that the deal would be extended worldwide.

So it seems that it isn't completely clarified whether it will be world wide or not, but either way, it makes me think that they're going to be trying to push something big with Windows 10. Their priority seems to be with the amount of users, rather than sales and profits, at least for the initial launch of the OS. I'll definitely be upgrading, it looks fantastic. 

Microsoft has been doing a lot of good recently, with the free upgrades to Windows 10, as well as the features that seem to be included with it. I hope they keep it up, I'm actually looking forward to the Xbox Live integration with Windows 10, it looks like it could be useful.

Source

So windows 10 will just be free... like that..

I don't believe it.

Really? Ok.. Interesting..

So.. Is W10 going to be free or something? How would they go about doing this?!

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Really? Ok.. Interesting..

So.. Is W10 going to be free or something? How would they go about doing this?!

Yes it basically is going to be free, but they only confirmed the upgrade of illegal versions in China. 

But you can can upgrade it for free if you have 7/8.

Yes it basically is going to be free, but they only confirmed the upgrade of illegal versions in China. 

But you can can upgrade it for free if you have 7/8.

I still have the serial code for my copy of W7, so I was not worried.

Just intrigued by what Microsoft is doing.

I swear the more news I hear of Win 10, the more I think it's a yearly subscription model.

Yeah, you would almost think they HAVE to do this.

They of course have their Office 365 service, so they have some experience with it

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

I swear the more news I hear of Win 10, the more I think it's a yearly subscription model.

I thought it's already confirmed they will have subscription model for Win10 apart from full license, just like the way Office 2013 and Office 365 works?

Gadgets: Lenovo Y580 (Nostromo, Naga Epic, Hydra, TrackIr5), Surface Pro 3 (i3), Lumia 930, PSVita

Rig: i7-4770K, 8GB Kingston HyperX, Asus Strix GTX970, MSI Z87-GD65, Asus Xonar DGX, CMStorm Scout II, CM Seidon 240M, BlackWidow Ultimate, Naga Epic, Goliathus Extended Control, TrackIr5, Sennheiser HD205, Audio-Technica ATR2500, Edifier speaker, Logitech G940, Logitech G27, Logitech F710, Dell S2340L, Philips 200VL, Samsung 830 128GB SSD, DXRacer FA01N

Yeah, you would almost think they HAVE to do this.

They of course have their Office 365 service, so they have some experience with it

Yeah this really worries me.  I'm worried that subscription might become the only affordable choice because the full licence will increase in price and subscriptions will remain reasonably affordable. Office already costs $169.99AUD vs a $9AUD monthly subscription, while Windows 8.1 costs $139.99. Office used to cost much less and once upon a time was included with windows. I'm worried that a full licence of windows will go vastly up in price and Microsoft will charge a monthly fee which will eventually cost you more than the licence upfront which is a rip off over time.

I thought it's already confirmed they will have subscription model for Win10 apart from full license, just like the way Office 2013 and Office 365 works?

I've not seen any articles on a subscription based windows 10, but it honestly wouldn't surprise me.

Sounds interesting.

We all need a daily check-up from the neck up to avoid stinkin' thinkin' which ultimately leads to the hardening of attitudes. - Zig Ziglar

The sad fact about atheists is that they stand for nothing while standing against things that have brought much good to the world. Now ain't that sad. - Anonymous

Replace fear with faith and fear will disappear. - Billy Cox  ......................................Also, Legalism, Education-bred Arrogance and Hubris-based Assumption are BULLSHIT.

iinm the subscription is just for the enterprise version of windows only.