280X to a GTX 970 a worthy upgrade?

Hey guys,

I'm thinking of upgrading my Gigabyte R9 280X to a GTX 970, but I'm worried the upgrade won't do much? 

I'm looking at 1080P gaming only, looking forward to the witcher 3, GTA V etc. 

Will there be a bump in FPS? if it's only 5-10 it's not worth it.. 

Reviewer websites are so up and down. They all use 8xAA in their games and its not practical

Cheers guys.

Yeah, it's not that much of an upgrade, and you have to blow 300 bucks....Try a 980 or wait a few years when there's a nicer card out on the market

Follow the topics you create using the "Follow" button in the top right corner!

One day I will have my GTX 970. One day. PC specs are at my profile.

Not sure how to check what part works with what? Check out my compatibility guide!

You wouldn't see a big difference in FPS, around 20% more fps in the 970.  

Not very worth it to go from a 280x to a 970 imo.

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

Honestly if you want to bump up, crossfire your 280x. They are really cheap on eBay right now, and by the time the 300 series is out chances are you would have a cheaper alternative anyways. The 970 is more powerful than the 280x but at 1080p I would not find it worth it yet.

My roommate uses xfire 280Xs and it outperforms my 970 (by a small margin when overclocked). The 3DMark score difference between his i5+xfire and my i5+970 is like 500 points. We play with triple monitors.

Only drawback to xfire is that it's xfire. If you have good cooling, I would go with whatever is cheaper. See if you can sell your 280x and get a 970 if it's reasonable, or if you want to cook breakfast with your PC at the same time, you can xfire the 280Xs. If you don't have good cooling, forget xfire all together.

Atom14 [Corsair] i5-4690K | Corsair H110i GT | MSI Z97S SLI Krait | 16 GB Team Group DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB X2 | EVGA SuperNOVA 850W 80+ Gold | Corsair K95 RGB | Corsair M65 RGB | EVGA ACX 2.0 GTX 980Ti

Corsair KXX RGB Keyboard Cover Mod Make your own using my templates!

Shouldn't see a drastic difference

The GTX 970 is still slightly ahead of the R9 290X, let alone the 280X

But like the others rightfully said, it's fine for 1080P Gaming

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K @ 4.8GHZGPU: MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Gaming X (X2 - SLI)RAM: 24GB | Storage: 128GB 960 PRO M.2 SSD, 1TB & 750GB HDD | Operating System: Windows 10, MacOS High Sierra

Not worthwhile at all. In one years time when there are much faster cards available you will look back and think that the difference between a 280x and a 970 looks so small and wonder why you didn't hold out.

I wouldn't do it. Wait for the 300 series to pop up at the very least before you make your decision. In any case, you may have saved your pennies for something better by that point.

My 7970 has maxed out everything I've been able to throw at it juuuuust fine. Not going to need an upgrade for quite a while.

I say wait for the 300 series to be released if you are looking for a worthy upgrade.

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

I'd wait another year since a 280x is still a hell of a powerful GPU. I guess if Witcher 3 plays like total crap on a 280x even after AMD releases drivers for it (like what happened with Dying Light which sucks even on a 290x) and that's a game you badly want to play maxed out then go for a 970 or 980 if the benchmarks show an enormous gap. But as an all-around gaming GPU I wouldn't expect a huge boost. I see some 770 owners who say the 970 wasn't a huge upgrade, and a 280x is a little more powerful than a 770.