Mars One Finalist Explains Exactly How It‘s Ripping Off Supporters

JamGorby

“When you join the ‘Mars One Community,’ which happens automatically if you applied as a candidate, they start giving you points,” Roche explained to me in an email. “You get points for getting through each round of the selection process (but just an arbitrary number of points, not anything to do with ranking), and then the only way to get more points is to buy merchandise from Mars One or to donate money to them.”

https://medium.com/matter/mars-one-insider-quits-dangerously-flawed-project-2dfef95217d3

Who cares Mars One is the stupidest thing I have ever heard anyway

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Who cares Mars One is the stupidest thing I have ever heard anyway

Me! why do you think it's stupid? i can't wait!!!

Me! why do you think it's stupid? i can't wait!!!

Its sketchy as hell, and also, pretty useless, why didnt they try colonise the moon first or something, then they could still live in space, and they could be returned ALIVE, as well as get home easily, get supplies, and contact their families

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

“My nightmare about it is that people continue to support it and give it money and attention, and it then gets to the point where it inevitably falls on its face.”

Welcome to Kickstarter and Indiegogo, where impractical, uselessness and hype meet fanboys.

Its sketchy as hell, and also, pretty useless, why didnt they try colonise the moon first or something, then they could still live in space, and they could be returned ALIVE, as well as get home easily, get supplies, and contact their families

Aside from the weirdness revolving around Mars One... Mars has far more in common with Earth. Of the entire solar system its the best candidate we have for setting up a colony to ensure that Humanity survives if Earth goes the way of the dinosaurs again.

On top of that there is a lot research that has to be done there that cannot be done on our rather dusty moon. Exploration of a world that once contained liquid water is something that cannot be undervalued from a planetary science perspective.

Bill Nye and the Planetary Society has some pretty excellent points on this on youtube and their website. Including some info on why Mars over the closer Moon.

"The wheel?" "No thanks, I'll walk, its more natural" - thus was the beginning of the doom of the Human race.
Cheese monger.

I am with ShadowCaptain on this one. Does anyone actually think they will be ever actually going to Mars? Its beyond sketchy. Its at best a reality tvshow akin to Survivor and at worst a scam.

Aside from the weirdness revolving around Mars One... Mars has far more in common with Earth. Of the entire solar system its the best candidate we have for setting up a colony to ensure that Humanity survives if Earth goes the way of the dinosaurs again.

On top of that there is a lot research that has to be done there that cannot be done on our rather dusty moon. Exploration of a world that once contained liquid water is something that cannot be undervalued from a planetary science perspective.

Bill Nye and the Planetary Society has some pretty excellent points on this on youtube and their website. Including some info on why Mars over the closer Moon.

I agree from a scientific point of view, but the people being sent are NOT scientists, they are just every day people, not scientific researchers - if they were sending scientists there I might agree with you

this. 

going to mars is a retarded idea. 

Welcome to Kickstarter and Indiegogo, where impractical, uselessness and hype meet fanboys.

and "hipsters". don't forget the "hipsters".

This is what I think of Pre-Ordering video games: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wp98SH3vW2Y

Because if you lived on the moon your body would go to shit, there's a reason why astronauts can only go to space so many times before they get retired, and become instructors instead. Mars has descent gravity from what I can understand and this means it won't totally wreak havoc on our skelletons.

I agree from a scientific point of view, but the people being sent are NOT scientists, they are just every day people, not scientific researchers - if they were sending scientists there I might agree with you

I'm kinda assuming at this point that Mars One will be a bust before it even launches. Its only interesting fact is that they are just normal boring people. That'd be interesting to experiment with, but I also think its far too early for ventures like that.

I was speaking more to the international/corporate efforts that will hopefully come to fruition before 2050 assuming successive US and Russian governments don't continue their current trend of being stupid.

"The wheel?" "No thanks, I'll walk, its more natural" - thus was the beginning of the doom of the Human race.
Cheese monger.

There is a significant difference between colonizing for potential survival of the race and setting up a research base/colony. The Moon could be an excellent test bed for feasibility as many of the problems that need to be conquered for Mars colonization can be tested on the moon, and its close enough for resupply and rescue if need be. Man didn't just decide to launch rocket and go walk on the Moon there were many steps to get there and its reasonable to think that setting up a colony on the Moon would a necessary first step for Mars colonization. Either-way, it is foolish to think that MarsOne (the topic of ShadowCaptains response) is a practical avenue for colonizing Mars.

I'm kinda assuming at this point that Mars One will be a bust before it even launches.

Me too, I just think if they wanted to film an interesting reality TV show about people living in space, they could have trailed their space habits on the moon, and after a few years, let the participants return home - instead of them all being killed on Mars

The Moon could be an excellent test bed for feasibility as many of the problems that need to be conquered for Mars colonization can be tested on the moon, and its close enough for resupply and rescue if need be.

Exactly, we have never set up a permanent habitat outside of earth (other than the ISS) the moon would be a great trial run, it would also be easier to remain in contact with the habitants - such as live calls, and remote cameras etc so we can all watch at home

Mars is just.... a TOO extreme 

They should of just blasted prisoners off into space... No one's going to miss them.

Because if you lived on the moon your body would go to shit, there's a reason why astronauts can only go to space so many times before they get retired, and become instructors instead. Mars has descent gravity from what I can understand and this means it won't totally wreak havoc on our skelletons.

Mars has double the gravity of the Moon, but does anyone know what happens to the body long term at only 38% the gravity of earth. But once again, the Moon colonization would less likely be a permanent one, and would still be better for the body than being aboard the ISS.

They should of just blasted prisoners off into space... No one's going to miss them.

But how then we will use them to test new experimental sciences?

Cheese monger.

Wait, why the hell are we debating whether we should be doing Mars or the Moon!?
BOTH!
If our governments had any sense they'd be investing proper percentages of their budgets in these ventures, not token gestures to those they perceive as a 'special interest group.

Cheese monger.

There's plenty to go around :D

Before we establish a permanent base on Mars, we need to create a massive space station that can fabricate spaceships directly in space. It also needs to be able to refuel, repair, satellites and what not.

Before we establish a permanent base on Mars, we need to create a massive space station that can fabricate spaceships directly in space. It also needs to be able to refuel, repair, satellites and what not.

Agreed. Hopefully 3D printing takes off in space in numerous forms for in-orbit construction. Guess we will need to rope in a few asteroids for raw materials.

Cheese monger.

whats going to happen is there will be a system failure and none of the people are scientists or engineers so they cant fix it and they all die from loosing oxygen

How do normal civilians? You could just as easily train a criminal to send back data as you could a normal person

governments had any sense

Governments will never have any sense

Not a mars one fan but am for mars first. Going to the moon isn't as great as some may think. Both vetures share similar expense in just getting materials and supplies into orbit. Besides the moon has no atmospheric pressure or worthwhile protection from the sun/space. Its more of a death trap than mars is. At least on mars the layers of protection one would need to construct or adore do not have to be the brick shit house level that the moon or void requires.
I think mars and a much more comprehensive space station/building dock makes more sense. Still need much more cost effective means to get supplies off the surface of the earth no matter what.

Oh, and I don't really understand what the scam is in the op. Forget the points and don't buy things you don't want. Though I'd likely concede that I would find marsones business practices to be degenerative.

I guess there plan is to get applicants into so much debt that leaving the planet is the most appealing option to them?

Kinda wish the people of the world would get their collective heads out of their asses and realize that human colonization of other planets is more important than any other issue currently plaguing humanity, and put this whole thing on the fast track.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs