Hifiman HE-500 + Objective2

According to this sound meter app I downloaded on my phone, I listen to music at 80 dB...Maybe I should turn it down lol.

And according to mine i listen to music at 90db, for 2 hours. I'm surprised I'm not deaf yet :|

According to this sound meter app I downloaded on my phone, I listen to music at 80 dB...Maybe I should turn it down lol. 

That wouldn't work on a computer with an external amp, would it?

My PC specifications are in my profile.

That wouldn't work on a computer with an external amp, would it?

Yeah, the sound meter won't work with a computer + external amp alone. It needs actual sound producing device, either speaker or headphones.

Do not get any HIFIMAN amplifier, they are pretty bad, and i also wouldnt buy a tube amp because these headphones are made for this kind of sound signature, they shouldnt be altered in my opinion. As for the amp, i have a 400i and i am probably going to get an o2, its just such an obvious choice imo. Not sure if its totally anough for the 500 though, but it shouldnt have a lot of problem, both the amp and the headphones are just such universal equipment, they will work just fine together. :)

Hope i helped! :)

Yeah, the sound meter won't work with a computer + external amp alone. It needs actual sound producing device, either speaker or headphones.

Speakers and headphones I get, but it wouldn't be possible to calculate the SPL with something in between the amp and headphone?  If you told the device the sensitivity and impedance of the load (in software), would it work by monitoring the mW delivered?

Speakers and headphones I get, but it wouldn't be possible to calculate the SPL with something in between the amp and headphone?  If you told the device the sensitivity and impedance of the load (in software), would it work by monitoring the mW delivered?

If you already know the sensitivity and load, you can just measure what the amp outputs and do the calculation yourself.

Lol, HE-560 is beyond my budget, and besides, I'm afraid that I might not be able to hear the difference. There aren't any shops nearby that even sell high end headphones. So I can't try them out and have to rely on reviews and opinions from other people. The shops that do sell them are situated far from my place.

Any idea how the HE-400i compares to the HE-500? The HE-400i seems to be significantly cheaper than the HE-500.

$500 for a new HE-500 seems like a good deal but I need to decide quickly as there's only one left in stock.

The 400i is supposed to be a refined version of the 400.  The 560 is the same for the 500, iirc.  If what you've read on the 500's sound signature is what enticed you, then the 400i probably won't be to you're liking.

If you already know the sensitivity and load, you can just measure what the amp outputs and do the calculation yourself.

If people wanted to do math themselves, calculators wouldn't exist.  :)

Do you have any hint at all of how those sound meter app work? 

1 example: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=kr.sira.sound

read the description.

Do you have any hint at all of how those sound meter app work? 

1 example: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=kr.sira.sound

read the description.

I figured it would be something similar to that. Loudspeakers obviously are pretty easy to test. With headphones, you need to isolate the microphone in the cups. That's why I was asking if there is a way to figure this out by giving software enough information about the headphones being used, and just monitor mW changes to give realtime SPL.

Lol, HE-560 is beyond my budget, and besides, I'm afraid that I might not be able to hear the difference. There aren't any shops nearby that even sell high end headphones. So I can't try them out and have to rely on reviews and opinions from other people. The shops that do sell them are situated far from my place.

Any idea how the HE-400i compares to the HE-500? The HE-400i seems to be significantly cheaper than the HE-500.

$500 for a new HE-500 seems like a good deal but I need to decide quickly as there's only one left in stock.

I believe from the FR chart, they should sound the same, and HE-400i should be easier to drive and lighter too

I believe from the FR chart, they should sound the same, and HE-400i should be easier to drive and lighter too

The 400i appears to have better mids; this is corroborated by reviews.

The 400i appears to have better mids; this is corroborated by reviews.

Oh good, more reason to grab 400i then :D

Oh good, more reason to grab 400i then :D

Yep. If I had cash to blow on headphones I'd probably grab a pair.

Hey guys, I decided to go ahead and order the Hifiman HE-500 and they should be arriving today or tomorrow. Really looking forward to playing around with them.

I tried looking for used Hifiman HE-560s and Audeze LCD-2s on Amazon or head-fi but most sellers don't offer shipping to where I'm living and prices were still past my budget.

Btw, I've also heard complaints about the HE-500's stock cable. Is it necessary to upgrade the cable at all?

Anyway, thanks to each and everyone of you for your help and input, really appreciate it. 

Hey guys, I decided to go ahead and order the Hifiman HE-500 and they should be arriving today or tomorrow. Really looking forward to playing around with them.

I tried looking for used Hifiman HE-560s and Audeze LCD-2s on Amazon or head-fi but most sellers don't offer shipping to where I'm living and prices were still past my budget.

Btw, I've also heard complaints about the HE-500's stock cable. Is it necessary to upgrade the cable at all?

Anyway, thanks to each and everyone of you for your help and input, really appreciate it.

From what I heard, the stock cable quality from hifiman is a bit meh. Try to use the headphone first.

If you like it and feel like keeping it, just look around for custom cables for purely aesthetic (no cable doesnt create any appreciable sound difference). There's also mimic cables who can make braided cord

You'll know soon enough.

The stock HE-500 cable is an unruly twisted pair disaster (although functional and sturdy). If you can find something more flexible on eBay for cheap, go for it. Just don't buy one of those $500 nonsense cables.

"Pardon my French but this is just about the most ignorant blanket statement I've ever read. And though this is the internet, I'm not even exaggerating."

Cabling sux. For some headphones, custom cables have to be made because of the non-standard plugs. I had to pay $90 for a cable that looks meh and keeps its shape (so if I left it bent, it would want to stay bent... Even after I put on the headphones. Hard to explain in words.) Blows my mind that headphone companies cannot produce a cable that doesn't blow though. Well, my Sennheiser stock cable was great until my brother's cat decided it was great too.  :mellow:

Echoing what the others said, cables are cables. When I look at cables I am looking for the correct length and other miscellaneous things.

In Placebo We Trust - Resident Obnoxious Objective Fangirl (R.O.O.F) - Your Eyes Cannot Hear
Haswell Overclocking Guide | Skylake Overclocking GuideCan my amp power my headphones?

Dunno which one is the standard cable of HE-500, but this is the standard cable for HE-400: https://head-direct.com/Products/?act=detail&id=163

Sturdy like a tank, but also bulky and heavy. Don't really mind bulky, but the weight...

This is the replacement I'm using now. It's actually a speaker cable:

IMG_6242_zps4e3f94ff.jpg

Hey guys, sorry to post again but I just received my HE-500. It says in the manual:

"Please allow at least 150 hours of constant use for proper break-in of your new headphone. This does not have to be at high volume."

Is this necessary?

Hey guys, sorry to post again but I just received my HE-500. It says in the manual:

"Please allow at least 150 hours of constant use for proper break-in of your new headphone. This does not have to be at high volume."

Is this necessary?

Who cares? Use them normally and if they need break-in that will do it. No need to play pink noise tracks or anything dumb like that. It's not like they won't work out of the box.

Is this necessary?

Just use it, enjoy it. It's surprising for me that planar needs break in period  :blink:

Who cares? Use them normally and if they need break-in that will do it. No need to play pink noise tracks or anything dumb like that. It's not like they won't work out of the box.

So it's not necessary? Burning in headphones are not gonna make any noticeable difference right?

If I use them normally, they'll eventually be "broken in"?

Just use it, enjoy it. It's surprising for me that planar needs break in period  :blink:

Yeah, I was surprised to read it in the manual. Doesn't 'burning in' happen anyway when using them normally over time?