Can i connect a Intel Core i5-4690 to a MSI Z87-G43 Socket 1150 Intel Z87 Chipset

Go to solution Solved by Trik'Stari,

im planning on gaming and maybe livestream but i chose a Z87 board so it supports overclocking but will it have the same performance?

Motherboard changes nothing in performance unless you overclock, even then overclocking doesn't offer much in terms of performance, especially if you are using a single GPU, on a 1080p 60hz monitor. (literally, it might be a 1-5 frame per second difference on average)

You can get more than a few z97 motherboards for less than $184, H97 is the non overclocking (mostly) variant of the new motherboards. Z97/H97 support the 4690k out of the box, although you will still want to update the bios to the most recent version.

With a 4690k, you won't really have any cpu problems as far as gaming goes, livestream might be different, and you may want to go with a 4790k instead, but you'd be better off to ask someone else here on the forums, I don't know a whole lot about streaming video.

In the end, go with a z97 board, if you are just going to have a single GPU, then just about any board will be exactly the same, some cost more because they have a boatload of options,, most of which you won't use unless you are spending a hell of a lot of money.

Overclocking makes your CPU a bit faster, but for gaming, it doesn't do much since something like 98% of the games out there aren't that CPU dependent, I run battlefield 4 with an Asus Strix GTX970 and my CPU is at stock clocks, no problems.

What you should worry about, is your GPU, and how much RAM you have, you want at least 8gb, 16gb is more than enough, 32gb is.......way more than you will probably ever need.

Also, make sure your monitor is a true 1080p, and capable of at least 60hz. When I first build my PC, I was using the 30 inch TV that I had used for my xbox 360, which turned out to be a 720p TV, even though it was advertised as "high definition" in walmart.

Beyond that....a good pair of headphones for late night gaming when you want to turn battlefield 4 up so loud that it hurts. I use a Steel series headset, not too expensive, but as far as headphones go, they're the first pair I've ever used that could get louder than my ears can take without distorting.

Edit: Oh, and mechanical keyboard KICK ASS over membrane keyboards, but that's a subjective thing, some people prefer membrane.

is it a good enough CPU for gaming too? and i know this is a obvious question but im just starting so i dont know 

It may or may not work, depending on if the board has a recent BIOS update to support Haswell Refresh or not.

For a Haswell Refresh CPU it's recommended to use an H97 or Z97 board. If Z87 must be used, it's recommended to get a non-refresh chip such as the i5-4440.

"Rawr XD"

It may or may not work, depending on if the board has a recent BIOS update to support Haswell Refresh or not.

For a Haswell Refresh CPU it's recommended to use an H97 or Z97 board. If Z87 must be used, it's recommended to get a non-refresh chip such as the i5-4440.

How do i know if it has the most recent BIOS update?

How do i know if it has the most recent BIOS update?

you call the seller and ask...are you buying from a local shop or from the internet?

...and yes the i5-4690 is a very good CPU when it comes to gaming.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

It can work, if the onboard BIOS supports that CPU. if it doesn't, you would have to get a cpu that fits that board and works with that bios, update the bios to support the 4690k, and then install the 4690k.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

It can work, if the onboard BIOS supports that CPU. if it doesn't, you would have to get a cpu that fits that board and works with that bios, update the bios to support the 4690k, and then install the 4690k.

Well im buying it new from canada computers (http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=26_1207_1206_1201&item_id=060709) so will it have it updated

Well im buying it new from canada computers (http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=26_1207_1206_1201&item_id=060709) so will it have it updated

i would give them a call before you place your order and ask them what version of the BIOS is the board coming with (should be written on the motherboard box) and then goole it to see how old it is and if it does support haswell refresh sku.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

the board should be fine. You could ask canada computers if they could do the bios update before they ship it if they can

Cpu:i5-4690k Gpu:r9 280x with some other things

Unlikely. You could always call them and ask.

Unlikely. You could always call them and ask.

Ok. so if they dont have an BIOS update, how could i do a BIOS update?

Ok. so if they dont have an BIOS update, how could i do a BIOS update?

You'd have to have a CPU that the factory BIOS recognizes. If you have such a CPU, you install it with a cooler, boot to the bios, use whatever BIOS update utility that board comes with, then shut down, de-energize, and remove that CPU, then install the 4690k with cooler.

Why not get a z97 board if you are going with a 4690k?

You'd have to have a CPU that the factory BIOS recognizes. If you have such a CPU, you install it with a cooler, boot to the bios, use whatever BIOS update utility that board comes with, then shut down, de-energize, and remove that CPU, then install the 4690k with cooler.

its $184.99 and the z87 is $99.88

Also what CPU can i use for the BIOS update

Also what CPU can i use for the BIOS update

Not sure, too many to list.

its $184.99 and the z87 is $99.88

What do you plan on doing with it? You can get z97 boards for less than $184. If you just want to game, and not overclock, you can get an H97 board from ASUS for like $99 bucks, and it looks good.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813132415

That motherboard will run the 4690k, although without overclocking you should drop down to the regular 4690.

Unless that H97 board does support overclocking, some H97's do.

Not sure, too many to list.

What do you plan on doing with it? You can get z97 boards for less than $184. If you just want to game, and not overclock, you can get an H97 board from ASUS for like $99 bucks, and it looks good.

That motherboard will run the 4690k, although without overclocking you should drop down to the regular 4690.

Unless that H97 board does support overclocking, some H97's do.

im planning on gaming and maybe livestream but i chose a Z87 board so it supports overclocking but will it have the same performance?

Motherboard changes nothing in performance unless you overclock, even then overclocking doesn't offer much in terms of performance, especially if you are using a single GPU, on a 1080p 60hz monitor. (literally, it might be a 1-5 frame per second difference on average)

You can get more than a few z97 motherboards for less than $184, H97 is the non overclocking (mostly) variant of the new motherboards. Z97/H97 support the 4690k out of the box, although you will still want to update the bios to the most recent version.

With a 4690k, you won't really have any cpu problems as far as gaming goes, livestream might be different, and you may want to go with a 4790k instead, but you'd be better off to ask someone else here on the forums, I don't know a whole lot about streaming video.

In the end, go with a z97 board, if you are just going to have a single GPU, then just about any board will be exactly the same, some cost more because they have a boatload of options,, most of which you won't use unless you are spending a hell of a lot of money.

Overclocking makes your CPU a bit faster, but for gaming, it doesn't do much since something like 98% of the games out there aren't that CPU dependent, I run battlefield 4 with an Asus Strix GTX970 and my CPU is at stock clocks, no problems.

What you should worry about, is your GPU, and how much RAM you have, you want at least 8gb, 16gb is more than enough, 32gb is.......way more than you will probably ever need.

Also, make sure your monitor is a true 1080p, and capable of at least 60hz. When I first build my PC, I was using the 30 inch TV that I had used for my xbox 360, which turned out to be a 720p TV, even though it was advertised as "high definition" in walmart.

Beyond that....a good pair of headphones for late night gaming when you want to turn battlefield 4 up so loud that it hurts. I use a Steel series headset, not too expensive, but as far as headphones go, they're the first pair I've ever used that could get louder than my ears can take without distorting.

Edit: Oh, and mechanical keyboard KICK ASS over membrane keyboards, but that's a subjective thing, some people prefer membrane.

Also, if it works the voltage might be too high, it's a common thing for older boards, check it asap. 

Intel 4790 K - R9 295X2 - Gigabyte Z97-SLI - Corsair Vengeance Pro Black 1866 CAL9 - Corsair HX 1000 -Samsung 850 EVO SSD - Samsung HDD - H100I - Corsair C70 - G400 Logitech - Asus VS247H - WASD custom mechanical and QCKPAD! 

Staples of LTT: Getting an 4690 K will resurrect your lost family members, AMD = More heat thus AMD = Satan. 

Also one last question what is GLAN in motherboards and what is DUAL GLAN too

Also one last question what is GLAN in motherboards and what is DUAL GLAN too

Gigabit Lan? I think that's just the rating of the network card installed on the motherboard, up to 1 gigabit per second, I know that motherboards with dual ethernet ports are for networking stuff, doesn't allow you to hook two ethernet cables to the same modem to get more speed sadly.

Gigabit Lan? I think that's just the rating of the network card installed on the motherboard, up to 1 gigabit per second, I know that motherboards with dual ethernet ports are for networking stuff, doesn't allow you to hook two ethernet cables to the same modem to get more speed sadly.

Im sorry and i know i said last question but do you know any Motherboards that are black and red and have optical port (for audio) thats under $120 CAD

Im sorry and i know i said last question but do you know any Motherboards that are black and red and have optical port (for audio) thats under $120 CAD

This one seems pretty good, but it's not overclockable

This is overclockable and has audio optical, but I have no experience using ASrock gear.

Yes i saw that one but the problem is that its $104.99 in the us its $144.99 here in canada

Oh, I have no real way to check Canadian prices.

And damn, they really do screw you guys over on prices.

Oh, I have no real way to check Canadian prices.

And damn, they really do screw you guys over on prices.

Yep