Update to my small business's site.

SimonWhite

You guys seemed to like it and gave some good feedback a couple weeks ago when I posted this, and since I've completely redone the entire thing. I think it's a lot better now.

What do you think? Comments, concerns, advice?

www.simonpdx.com

Intel Core i7 4790k - 16 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 970

Yeah, looks pretty good @SimonWhite .

Scaling is nice too.

Off topic: Do you even window bro? All those boxes in front of it :P

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

I like it :)

Looks way better than mine. xD

Mine for comparison: http://pouringpixels.weebly.com/

EDIT: Nice business cards. Where'd you get them and for how much?

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Try using a lighter color palette maybe.

Also, that picture on the front page looks a bit... tacky.

Just have a clean head shot on your "Contact" page.

You have a Kingston SSD, trust = gone. 

That photo looks so tacky dude, pick a decent backdrop instead of cutting it out, will look 1000 times better

It's next on the list. I only have access to the nice camera every so often because it's my roommates. Soon!

Yeah, looks pretty good @SimonWhite .

Scaling is nice too.

Off topic: Do you even window bro? All those boxes in front of it :P

Haha, there was always a sheet in front of it anyways, so I stacked the boxes. I feel like it's impressive for people to see when they come over to pick up a build or drop off their PC. Always something to talk about that's for sure.

In the future they might move.

I like it :)

Thanks!

Looks way better than mine. xD

Mine for comparison: http://bit.ly/PouringPixels

EDIT: Nice business cards. Where'd you get them and for how much?

Yep! Squarespace really is as good as Linus says. I don't blame them at all for pushing this as much as they do, it's great.

Cards where REALLY cheap from VistaPrint, there are infinite promo codes all over. I got the 500 for 12+shipping. Something like 20. I also got magnets. I designed the card in photoshop. I could help you if I wanted. You're going to also probably have to block Vista Print from your email probably, a little spammy, but I might have clicked a wrong checkbox somewhere along the lines.

Try using a lighter color palette maybe.

Also, that picture on the front page looks a bit... tacky.

Just have a clean head shot on your "Contact" page.

I like the dark, but it might be too dark you're right. Before the theme was blue and white and it looked a lot worse.

New photos come next, for sure.

You have a Kingston SSD, trust = gone. 

I hate that thing :( but I got it so cheap and everytime I go to replace it with an MX100 or 850 something else comes up! Ahhhhh!

It's next on the list. I only have access to the nice camera every so often because it's my roommates. Soon!

That's alright, I might just suggest a nice headshot on your contact page and on the main page have a similar picture to the current with a darker backdrop so it matches in with your overall layout.

Might also help to actually state on the site where your located, people that just happen across the site wont get much of an idea otherwise, just a sentence in the homepage and something in the contacts page.

Cards where REALLY cheap from VistaPrint, there are infinite promo codes all over. I got the 500 for 12+shipping. Something like 20. I also got magnets. I designed the card in photoshop. I could help you if I wanted. You're going to also probably have to block Vista Print from your email probably, a little spammy, but I might have clicked a wrong checkbox somewhere along the lines.

Ah. I kinda figured it was VP, but they looked really good so I wasn't sure lol If I had money, I would probably buy a bunch, but in some ways, I just wanna get some cardstock and make my own. Thanks for the offer though. I might have to take you up on at least designing it though. :D

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

The photo made me feel embarrassed, not sure if that was meant to happen...

Don't mean to offend you at all.

I like your simplistic style however.

i7 5930k . 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 2666 DDR4 . Gigabyte GA-X99-Gaming G1-WIFI . Zotac GeForce GTX 980 AMP! 4GB SLi . Crucial M550 1TB SSD . LG BD . Fractal Design Define R2 Black Pearl . SuperFlower Leadex Gold 750w . BenQ GW2765HT 2560x1440 . CM Storm QF TK MX Blue . SteelSeries Rival 
i5 2500k/ EVGA Z68SLi/ FX 8320/ Phenom II B55 x4/ MSI 790FX-GD70/ G.skill Ripjaws X 1600 8GB kit/ Geil Black Dragon 1600 4GB kit/ Sapphire Ref R9 290/ XFX DD GHOST 7770 

Holy shit I was just on the WAN show O__o

Time stamp and why?

Time stamp and why?

Linus shared the site on his squarespace sponsor spot.

they were talking about his site

OK? I still want to see it :P

Linus shared the site on his squarespace sponsor spot.

Seen your website @ WAN-show. It's sorta okay, and I do like the rather clean and simple design, but it could use some work. Main font needs to be changed (Times New Roman is a big NO), pictures are bad and if I were you I'd take a second look at grammar.

Sorry for the harsh critique, but as a "potential customer", I'm not really compelled using your services, knowing only your website.

Seen your website @ WAN-show. It's sorta okay, and I do like the rather clean and simple design, but it could use some work. Main font needs to be changed (Times New Roman is a big NO), pictures are bad and if I were you I'd take a second look at grammar.

Sorry for the harsh critique, but as a "potential customer", I'm not really compelled using your services, knowing only your website.

That's totally fine.

The font is NOT Times New Roman, but Squarespace seems to screw that up sometimes, I've seen it even from my side.

I want to redo the pictures ASAP, even Linus said they were bad, and I knew it before that. I just don't know what to do. I think I should have a more professional head shot on the contact page, and something else on the front. With a better, also more professional picture of the business cards on the rates page that doesn't cut them off at the edges.

I have been looking over and over the grammar. That's about as good as I alone will probably be able to get it. I've been seeking help, but if any of you guys are interested I'd appreciate the help a lot. Telling me what I can do better, is often better than telling me I've done a good job.

You've changed the pictures, great!

Grammar, example:

I am doing this work to get myself though school, and because I have a passion for technology. I offer these services at a lower rate than anyone else in the city and am interested in helping each and every one of you through your computer problems.

- Shouldn't it be trough school ?

- Writing could be more compact.

- "this work, these services"

Would be better explaining the work & services first, and than refer back to them like "this work, these...". Even if you've mentioned your services already on the first page.

- "helping....trough your computer problems"

What do you mean, are you going to help me ? great! But I rather have you to fix/solve my problems. (See the difference ?)

Anyways, I don't have much interest looking into the rest nor am I good at grammar myself, but maybe you can ask some friends, family, students ?