Fair PC to Console Compairson

Now I want to start with this, I am a PC fan, I play most of my games on a PC, and am not saying that either is better then the other.

My issue comes in to whenever I see "PC is better better" posts or videos on YouTube the console is almost always placed against a 800 to 1500 dollar custom built computer, and I want to take on the custom part of that in more then the price part, because there are equal value posts.

Now, I know you can take 400 or 500 dollars and piece together a computer that is in every way better then the PS4 and the XB1, but nowhere can you buy a prebuilt gaming computer for that price that would compare to the consoles.

And I feel that in order to properly say that you can get a better PC then a console for that price it would have to be brebuilt, because people who are buying consoles are generally not someone who is going to budget build a computer. Regardless of how easy we think it is there are people out there who just don't know how to piece together a computer.

That is why I don't feel there is a way you can justify telling someone that for the price you can get a better computer, because for the people who buy consoles, it usually isn't true.

You can buy parts and pay a $50 fee for NCIX to build it for you.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

You can buy parts and pay a $50 fee for NCIX to build it for you.

But that's relevant to people who live in America and Canada.

But that's relevant to people who live in America and Canada.

There are other places around the world that offer similar services.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

There are other places around the world that offer similar services.

For the same charge? And i know of no places at all that do the same thing other then Cyberpower. 

For the same charge? And i know of no places at all that do the same thing other then Cyberpower. 

I never mentioned pricing of it, I merely said that there are similar services provided by other companies.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

I never mentioned pricing of it, I merely said that there are similar services provided by other companies.

Then why mention it, the point of this post is to say that its not a fair comparison with the assumption that someone is going to build it themselves. What enderman said is a valid point as its a fairly low charge to get a PC of similar quality to a prebuilt that wouldn't take a giant chunk out your budget.

Then why mention it, the point of this post is to say that its not a fair comparison with the assumption that someone is going to build it themselves. What enderman said is a valid point as its a fairly low charge to get a PC of similar quality to a prebuilt that wouldn't take a giant chunk of your budget.

IMO it doesn't matter anyways, because if you can build with LEGOs, you can build a PC. Why do some people see it as such a daunting task? It's rather simple.

IMO it doesn't matter anyways, because if you can build with LEGOs, you can build a PC. Why do some people see it as such a daunting task? It's rather simple, and breaking a part is nearly impossible unless you're an idiot or legally blind.

Its a time consuming task, setup and maintenance alone is a lot of time the vast majority of people are not going to invest hence the vast majority of people buying a console.

Its a time consuming task, setup and maintenance alone is a lot of time the vast majority of people are not going to invest hence the vast majority of people buying a console.

"time consuming"

What? 

Two hours never killed anyone. There's people who would drive two hours to GET their console.

"time consuming"

What? 

Two hours never killed anyone. There's people who would drive two hours to GET their console.

Two hours is a load of bollocks, no one ever accounts for software related setup installing programs and games alone takes a couple hours even with the use of ninite.

I think if you're going to argue having to build the PC, then you can argue the fact that most people are going to be picking up some kind of computer anyway.

Normandy - Intel Core i5 3470, 8 GB Corsair Vengenace LP, EVGA GTX 960 SSC, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, WD Blue 1 TB, Seagate 320 GB (steam), Seagate 320 GB (experimental, second OS, etc), Windows 8.1 + Ubuntu 14.10

Garrus - HP Stream 11

the point is there are people out there who just plain don't know and don't want to learn, its the way of the world, because I know how to take apart a pump and put it together again and feel its easy and straight forward, doesn't mean I should expect everyone to know how to.

Picking out parts and paying someone to get them assembled makes sense, but then your down on budget, I haven't seen a 350 dollar rig that beats the consoles yet, at least no one where there using used parts or some parts laying around.

Now I want to start with this, I am a PC fan, I play most of my games on a PC, and am not saying that either is better then the other.

My issue comes in to whenever I see "PC is better better" posts or videos on YouTube the console is almost always placed against a 800 to 1500 dollar custom built computer, and I want to take on the custom part of that in more then the price part, because there are equal value posts.

Now, I know you can take 400 or 500 dollars and piece together a computer that is in every way better then the PS4 and the XB1, but nowhere can you buy a prebuilt gaming computer for that price that would compare to the consoles.

And I feel that in order to properly say that you can get a better PC then a console for that price it would have to be brebuilt, because people who are buying consoles are generally not someone who is going to budget build a computer. Regardless of how easy we think it is there are people out there who just don't know how to piece together a computer.

That is why I don't feel there is a way you can justify telling someone that for the price you can get a better computer, because for the people who buy consoles, it usually isn't true.

Am pretty sure, if people are willing to they will build a PC.....its not that hard...it only takes like half an hour to build it....

NEVER GIVE UP. NEVER STOP LEARNING. DONT LET THE PAST HURT YOU. YOU CAN DOOOOO IT

Two hours is a load of bollocks, no one ever accounts for software related setup installing programs and games alone takes a couple hours even with the use of ninite.

Putting together my system + cable management took me an 45 min.

Installing Windows, drivers, and games took me an hour.

Maintenance involves cleaning dust filters. That takes ten minutes. 

Defragmenting isn't a problem unless you're lazy.

I'm just curious as to why someone would be so unwilling to put any effort into this that they'd pay premium prices for simple services.

the point is there are people out there who just plain don't know and don't want to learn, its the way of the world, because I know how to take apart a pump and put it together again and feel its easy and straight forward, doesn't mean I should expect everyone to know how to.

Picking out parts and paying someone to get them assembled makes sense, but then your down on budget, I haven't seen a 350 dollar rig that beats the consoles yet, at least no one where there using used parts or some parts laying around.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD A10-5800K 3.8GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($87.95 @ SuperBiiz)

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-F2A58M-HD2 Micro ATX FM2+ Motherboard  ($50.49 @ SuperBiiz)

Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-2400 Memory  ($66.99 @ NCIX US)

Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($44.99 @ Amazon)

Case: Rosewill FBM-01 MicroATX Mini Tower Case  ($29.99 @ Amazon)

Power Supply: EVGA 430W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply  ($33.99 @ SuperBiiz)

Total: $314.40

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-03-13 18:55 EDT-0400

This oddly will beat most consoles.....the ram speed helps a lot.

NEVER GIVE UP. NEVER STOP LEARNING. DONT LET THE PAST HURT YOU. YOU CAN DOOOOO IT

Putting together my system + cable management took me an 45 min.

Installing Windows, drivers, and games took me an hour.

Maintenance involves cleaning dust filters. That takes ten minutes. 

Defragmenting isn't a problem unless you're lazy.

I'm just curious as to why someone would be so unwilling to put any effort into this that they'd pay premium prices for simple services.

the same reason people go to quick lube to change the oil in there car, some people dont want to build computers, and dont want to learn how. Regardless of how easy it is.

If your looking to play some games with no experience building computers, your going to go for the console, already assembled go home, plug it in, insert disk, play..

Rather then go home, assemble computer, cable manage cables, install software.. and so on. All with no real assurance to this guy if hes actually doing anything right, or if its going to work.

the same reason people go to quick lube to change the oil in there car, some people dont want to build computers, and dont want to learn how. Regardless of how easy it is.

If your looking to play some games with no experience building computers, your going to go for the console, already assembled go home, plug it in, insert disk, play..

Rather then go home, assemble computer, cable manage cables, install software.. and so on. All with no real assurance to this guy if hes actually doing anything right, or if its going to work.

True. People refuse to be self reliant when they have money.

Well I look at it this way...

It's somewhat fair to compare 800$ ish computers to 400$ consoles, since everyone has to own a pc these days and you don't really get a new basic pc under like 300$. So get a gaming capable PC or a console + basic pc? you'll end up spending roughly the same amount of money right?

I really believe what matters is what games you want to play, and who you want to play with. In the end it's all about having fun playing video games, performance matters but the experience and ability to play with your buds (or sitting on the couch with a controller) ultimately beats performance.

Sure PC's are able to do so much more and are a lot more cost / effective for performance in the end. But I don't think console users are wrong at all.

Hardware: 4790k @ 4.6 GHz w/ H100i - MSI GTX 970 - Define R5 - MSI Z97 PC Mate - 840 EVO - G.Skill 2x4 GB

Peripherals: G402 - ATH-AD700x - Asus VG248QE 144 hz

True. People refuse to be self reliant when they have money.

that's part of the benefit when buying a console its built, I am not disagreeing with you, computers are simple to put together and more powerful.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD A10-5800K 3.8GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($87.95 @ SuperBiiz)

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-F2A58M-HD2 Micro ATX FM2+ Motherboard  ($50.49 @ SuperBiiz)

Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-2400 Memory  ($66.99 @ NCIX US)

Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($44.99 @ Amazon)

Case: Rosewill FBM-01 MicroATX Mini Tower Case  ($29.99 @ Amazon)

Power Supply: EVGA 430W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply  ($33.99 @ SuperBiiz)

Total: $314.40

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-03-13 18:55 EDT-0400

This oddly will beat most consoles.....the ram speed helps a lot.

That will beat it under the assumption that PC gets the kind of optimization that console receives which unfortunately is not the case. 

I had 0 experience building my first PC last year, was coming from console,, it was fairly easy, as well as gratifying. All I did to learn was read everything I could, and watch youtube videos.

Compared to console, which is easy, expensive, and frequently infuriating.

ERMAGERDDD....DER DIFFERCULTY

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Either way the consoles are going to end up consuming waaaaay more than two hours because they require all games to be installed to the hard drive now do they not? I decided to play bf4 on my mates Xbox One and it took nearly an hour just to install lol......... I take a one time 2 hours than an hour everytime I buy a new game...

Either way the consoles are going to end up consuming waaaaay more than two hours because they require all games to be installed to the hard drive now do they not? I decided to play bf4 on my mates Xbox One and it took nearly an hour just to install lol......... I take a one time 2 hours than an hour everytime I buy a new game...

computers also have you install them to a hard drive to..