Fair PC to Console Compairson

Like I said, you cannot "fry" anything since cables just won't go in if they are the wrong way around. More over, keyboard/mouse is superior to an xbox controller for many (almost all of them) PC games, you can use an xbox controller if you disagree however. The lists of parts were already provided.

But really let's just says that this is what I get for giving a serious reply to obvious trolling posts. Rest assured, I won't be making that mistake 

*does something mysterious in the forum settings*

Put a extra stand off in the case, and tell me its impossible to fry a mobo. 

try a flying or driving game, or block me because I havent looked up the benchmarks yet, but there is no way a a10-5800K is keeping up with a 7850 level of performance. so the build in this thread simply doesnt keep up. 

or block me, instead of defending your opinion. i HONESTLY want a cheap build that beats a console, and when you disprove it people simply go into ignoring me or blocking me. 

My brothers and i all own high end gaming PC's, and still break out the nintendo 64. You cannot beat that experience on a PC. Some games are just far more enjoyable on a console in the living room. I wish game dev's would start making party games for PC, with all of the controllers that are available for the PC. I know some indie games are attempting to do it, i would just love to see some nice titles take advantage of it. 

Right? like the newer Cods and halos on the 360 are really struggling with more players. I wish I could throw my pc power at that. Because its hard to justify 2-3 high end pcs. but if we could just buy one high end pc for my family to share? and all play? thatd be great. for example, minecraft we can play modded minecraft on just my computer. we tried 5 instances at once, and it ran just fine, all at 60fps. and with a 1000$ pc, thats only 200$ worth of hardware for each person. thats justifiable. and no one had to bring anything over, and if at most, they would just need a controller or another display

Sorry, you can't have a "fair" comparison, PC will always be better, regardless if you like to play on PC or not.

If you buy a PC to play games, it will be better than consoles, helped by the fact that you can do more productivity stuff than on consoles.

If you buy a PC to do basic stuff, you can't compare it to a console because you didn't get a PC to play games.

Consoles may have exclusive games, but that's pretty much all.

The stars died for you to be here today.

A locked bathroom in the right place can make all the difference in the world.

Like I said, you cannot "fry" anything since cables just won't go in if they are the wrong way around. More over, keyboard/mouse is superior to an xbox controller for many (almost all of them) PC games, you can use an xbox controller if you disagree however. The lists of parts were already provided.

But really let's just says that this is what I get for giving a serious reply to obvious trolling posts. Rest assured, I won't be making that mistake 

*does something mysterious in the forum settings*

I do not believe he is trolling you. Just a few years back when modular PSU's were becoming popular, some of them were all black and had terrible ways of conveying what went where. My father is 47 years old, and has been building computers for years, and managed to fry his HDD because he plugged in his modular PSU wrong. 

Rev 1 of this specific PSU for example: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817152028

My father was using this, and they did not have the plugs color coated at the time. One of those red cables were plugged into a black cable, and it completely ruined the PCB of his HDD. I had to swap the PCB to fix it too, thanks to seagates awesome support of sending me a swappable PCB.

This is pretty much impossible to do nowadays, due to the proper labels and colors of the cables. Still, i can understand the fear people have. Especially those that do not take the proper precaution of grounding themselves before touching things.

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

This argument will always happen, and it will always be one sided. My only problem with the "consoles vs pc" argument is the misinformation that is spread among the fans of both sites. When it comes to consoles, you are not paying a premium for the hardware. You are paying a premium for the form factor. That hardware is actually not that bad when you think about the space you are fitting it in. Yes, you can build ITX PC's, but to match that performance on an itx rig (GPU alone will be difficult) you would pay a hefty fee to do so.

Errr, I mean yes you can, but not necessarily:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Pentium G3250 3.2GHz Dual-Core Processor  ($63.98 @ OutletPC)

Motherboard: Asus H81M-K Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($52.98 @ OutletPC)

Memory: Pareema 4GB (1 x 4GB) DDR3-1333 Memory  ($28.99 @ Newegg)

Storage: Hitachi Travelstar Z5K500 500GB 2.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($43.98 @ OutletPC)

Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB Video Card  ($124.99 @ NCIX US)

Case: Fractal Design Node 804 MicroATX Mid Tower Case  ($69.99 @ Newegg)

Power Supply: Corsair Builder 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($29.99 @ Newegg)

Total: $414.90

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-03-14 17:35 EDT-0400

Edit: Couldn't find the case I wanted in pcpart picker but with it, it brings the system to under 400 plus is smaller and damn cute if you ask me:

main.jpg

-------

Current Rig

-------

I do not believe he is trolling you.

If he refuses to acknowledge another point of view other than his own and ignores things that have been addressed already it amounts to the same thing for me: Not interested in running in circles with anybody, what should have been said has been said.

-------

Current Rig

-------

There is to type of people in the world. there is people with money and there is people with time but rearly both

Sorry, you can't have a "fair" comparison, PC will always be better, regardless if you like to play on PC or not.

If you buy a PC to play games, it will be better than consoles, helped by the fact that you can do more productivity stuff than on consoles.

If you buy a PC to do basic stuff, you can't compare it to a console because you didn't get a PC to play games.

Consoles may have exclusive games, but that's pretty much all.

You are the type of people i mentioned before, when it came to spreading misinformation.  PC's are not "always better". I already stated that local multiplayer is infinitely better on consoles. Again, i am not referring to LAN, i mean playing the same game on the same system, with 2-4 people. Consoles can do this with a plethora of games, while the selection of PC games are severely limited, unless we are talking emulation, which is an entirely different discussion.

PC's can play most games better than consoles, if we are talking the same game being compared on each platform. If we are talking Mario Kart or super smash bro's with friends, you will not have that kind of experience on a PC when you can just plug your single console into a TV and have fun. This is a very compelling reason to own a console in and of itself. No other reason would be needed. I own a high end gaming PC, a PS3, Xbox 360 and a Wii. My PC and Wii get used more than anything else (mostly because i find the Wii games to be the most fun with friends) but i do occasionally break out the xbox 360 for Halo Co-op, and the PS3 for metal gear. Would i buy the newer consoles? Personally, probably not. Maybe when controllers stop costing me $60 a piece, and the game selections start looking better. I still respect that hardware in that form factor though.

I do not believe he is trolling you. Just a few years back when modular PSU's were becoming popular, some of them were all black and had terrible ways of conveying what went where. My father is 47 years old, and has been building computers for years, and managed to fry his HDD because he plugged in his modular PSU wrong. 

Rev 1 of this specific PSU for example: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817152028

My father was using this, and they did not have the plugs color coated at the time. One of those red cables were plugged into a black cable, and it completely ruined the PCB of his HDD. I had to swap the PCB to fix it too, thanks to seagates awesome support of sending me a swappable PCB.

This is pretty much impossible to do nowadays, due to the proper labels and colors of the cables. Still, i can understand the fear people have. Especially those that do not take the proper precaution of grounding themselves before touching things.

and something I forgot to mention, static electricity. Yeah, it seems common knowledge to us, but for the average joe, 

or what happens when the computer doesnt post? with cheap components, that actually happens quite a bit. let alone if you never built anything before. 

not to cause flame, but the build above this post still does not include a OS, or keyboard+mouse. and is still more expensive. Im just waiting for a a real statement. His only 2 points so far(sorry if i missed anything)

1. cant fry a component.

2. anyone can build a pc because a 5 year old can. 

both of those, just are not true. yes, most people can, but not everyone, some people just are not willing, no matter how much money they will save

edit:

PC's can play most games better than consoles, if we are talking the same game being compared on each platform. If we are talking Mario Kart or super smash bro's with friends, you will not have that kind of experience on a PC when you can just plug your single console into a TV and have fun. This is a very compelling reason to own a console in and of itself. No other reason would be needed. I own a high end gaming PC, a PS3, Xbox 360 and a Wii. My PC and Wii get used more than anything else (mostly because i find the Wii games to be the most fun with friends) but i do occasionally break out the xbox 360 for Halo Co-op, and the PS3 for metal gear. Would i buy the newer consoles? Personally, probably not. Maybe when controllers stop costing me $60 a piece, and the game selections start looking better. I still respect that hardware in that form factor though.

This is what most people dont get. 

let alone, I grew up in a family of 7. 4 of which where boys.  it was much, much more economical to buy a console or two, then just get us all games for special holidays. 

Imagine buying 4 pcs, suddenly that 400$ pc turns into 1600$. let alone the 3 extra displays you have to buy. then quadruple the price of any game you want to play. then suddenly even the big consoles like xbone and ps4 make sense. 

but now that im the oldest, and its just me and my brother, we both play pc games. why? because 2 games on sale honestly isn't that bad. and Im a huge techie so if something acts up with his computer its easy to fix for me. 

Errr, I mean yes you can, but not necessarily:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Pentium G3250 3.2GHz Dual-Core Processor  ($63.98 @ OutletPC)

Motherboard: Asus H81M-K Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($52.98 @ OutletPC)

Memory: Pareema 4GB (1 x 4GB) DDR3-1333 Memory  ($28.99 @ Newegg)

Storage: Hitachi Travelstar Z5K500 500GB 2.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($43.98 @ OutletPC)

Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB Video Card  ($124.99 @ NCIX US)

Case: Fractal Design Node 804 MicroATX Mid Tower Case  ($69.99 @ Newegg)

Power Supply: Corsair Builder 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($29.99 @ Newegg)

Total: $414.90

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-03-14 17:35 EDT-0400

That case is easily 3x the volume of the PS4 itself. It is over 2x the volume of the xbox one. That is however, a respectable build. I would have personally gone with the G3258 and Z97 microcenter combo (if they are still doing it) as it would offer more OCing performance, even on the stock cooler.

Point is, to build an ITX (ITX, not ATX) system that offers that kind of performance, it would require using a laptop mobo with flat so-dimms and an MXM GPU which, the GPU itself would cost more than the entire console.

I know this, i take small form factor builds very seriously. It is a known fact, even on the PS3 and XB360 that both sony and MS lost money on the consoles, but profited off the games and their subscriptions (PS Plus and XB gold) to make the loss on the console worth it. They are most likely losing money on these current consoles too. It is entirely the form factor. If they did not care about the size of the consoles, they could have easily stuck better hardware in them.

You are the type of people i mentioned before, when it came to spreading misinformation.  PC's are not "always better". I already stated that local multiplayer is infinitely better on consoles. Again, i am not referring to LAN, i mean playing the same game on the same system, with 2-4 people. Consoles can do this with a plethora of games, while the selection of PC games are severely limited, unless we are talking emulation, which is an entirely different discussion.

Another point: yes I agree that local co-op is better on consoles. But that doesn't takes into account that

1) Internet multiplayer was created because it has a significant advantage over local/split screen co-op. It's different yes, but as someone who grew up in the 80s when I discovered the internet in like 1994 or so the first thing I thought is "woah, can I play videogames over the internet? I bet you can or will eventually!" 

2) Even if you completely disregard 1) (which again, it's subjective and entirely valid to do so if you prefer couch coop) the point remains that there's not a single PC related feature that would actually hinder coop games. It's just a matter of the market in PCs dictating the preference for 1) over coop, but there's no technical reason why PCs couldn't do coop just fine, in fact not even size and portability anymore with inhouse streaming and efficient itx builds.

-------

Current Rig

-------

That case is easily 3x the volume of the PS4 itself. It is over 2x the volume of the xbox one. That is however, a respectable build. I would have personally gone with the G3258 and Z97 microcenter combo (if they are still doing it) as it would offer more OCing performance, even on the stock cooler.

Point is, to build an ITX (ITX, not ATX) system that offers that kind of performance, it would require using a laptop mobo with flat so-dimms and an MXM GPU which, the GPU itself would cost more than the entire console.

I know this, i take small form factor builds very seriously. It is a known fact, even on the PS3 and XB360 that both sony and MS lost money on the consoles, but profited off the games and their subscriptions (PS Plus and XB gold) to make the loss on the console worth it. They are most likely losing money on these current consoles too. It is entirely the form factor. If they did not care about the size of the consoles, they could have easily stuck better hardware in them.

No it doesn't really. I get your point (I disagree though, this is a really tiny case it would fit on like 90% of living room environments) so conceding that remember that I say not necesarily since there's pricier form factors that do get there in terms of volume like this one:

IMG_9145.JPG

Considering what you can fit in there there really is no limit if you expand your budget slightly (we're talking less than an extra 100 bucks) if you must have the least amount of space possible

-------

Current Rig

-------

No it doesn't really. I get your point (I disagree though, this is a really tiny case it would fit on like 90% of living room environments) so conceding that remember that I say not necesarily since there's pricier form factors that do get there in terms of volume like this one:

Considering what you can fit in there there really is no limit if you expand your budget slightly (we're talking less than an extra 100 bucks) if you must have the least amount of space possible

Another point: yes I agree that local co-op is better on consoles. But that doesn't takes into account that

1) Internet multiplayer was created because it has a significant advantage over local/split screen co-op. It's different yes, but as someone who grew up in the 80s when I discovered the internet in like 1994 or so the first thing I thought is "woah, can I play videogames over the internet? I bet you can or will eventually!" 

2) Even if you completely disregard 1) (which again, it's subjective and entirely valid to do so if you prefer couch coop) the point remains that there's not a single PC related feature that would actually hinder coop games. It's just a matter of the market in PCs dictating the preference for 1) over coop, but there's no technical reason why PCs couldn't do coop just fine, in fact not even size and portability anymore with inhouse streaming and efficient itx builds.

I am not saying that gaming over a network is bad, i do it all the time, even with family. My point was, to play multiplayer games on PC, will most likely require every user have their own PC to do so. Consoles is a "bring your own controller" type event. When i had a sleepover as a kid (yeah, dudes did it too, wasn't weird or anything) i would bring my own N64 controller to my friends house to play. As did the other kids that came to play. Was far cheaper and easier than lugging around entire PC's and peripherals (not to mention a single console can plug into a single TV). PC's do have the power to handle these types of games too, and plenty of I/O to handle it as well. Which is why i mentioned wishing game devs would take advantage of PC's and bring more party based games to it.

That RVZ01 is actually about the size of an Xbox 360 (I had one before switching to the Azza Z, because i needed to fit a normal sized PSU in an mITX form factor) and i consider the RVZ01 to be the best console-esque case you can get for a PC. It looks amazing in any living room, and its form factor is about as small as you can get without sacrificing performance due to heat constraints. 

I am not trying to argue against using a PC as a console, or saying that a PC cannot do things that consoles do. I am merely pointing out that local co-op is far easier (and in most scenario's, cheaper) than attempting to do so on a PC. With Emulation, anything is technically possible on the PC. They have software to handle assigning controllers to specific users too. Its just difficult to find local multiplayer games. 

I will always prefer having my PC over a console any day of the week, but i still understand the appeal of a console to people. It is why i never pull the "PC masterrace" card on people, because i know first hand that some experiences on a console are worth paying for to some people. 

TL;DR? Local multiplayer and form factor make consoles appealing to some people.

Yeah, I forgot to mention local multiplayer as another console advantage.

The stars died for you to be here today.

A locked bathroom in the right place can make all the difference in the world.

Yes I agree that is far easier. I'm just saying there's no good reason why PC devs don't code for split screen Co op, other than they don't.

-------

Current Rig

-------