GTX 970 Owners Club

I only shorted these shunt resistors and it worked.

So I dumb, what do these shunt resistors do when shorted?

So I dumb, what do these shunt resistors do when shorted?

good question.. i asked myself too. So i googled what they would do if they are not shorted.

From what i was understanding is that these shunt resistors are made for voltage measurement. 

And the voltage that is running through this ressistor is getting lowered by it.

I think when these resistors are shorted you can get more or "cleaner" power on the specific part of the graphics card. But im not sure.

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800x3D | MoBo: MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | RAM: G.Skill F4-3600C15D-16GTZ @3800CL16 | GPU: RTX 2080Ti | PSU: Corsair HX1200 | 

Case: Lian Li 011D XL | Storage: Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB, Crucial MX500 500GB | Soundcard: Soundblaster ZXR | Mouse: Razer Viper Mini | Keyboard: Razer Huntsman TE Monitor: DELL AW2521H @360Hz |

CPU-delided i5-4670k@4.6Ghz 1.42v R.I.P (2013-2015) MOBO-Asus Maximus VI Gene GPU-Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming@1582Mhz core/3744Mhz memory COOLING-Corsair H60 RAM-1x8Gb Crucial ballistix tactical tracer@2133Mhz 11-12-12-26  DRIVES-Kingston V300 60Gb, OCZ trion 100 120Gb, WD Red 1Tb
2nd  fastest i5 4670k in GPUPI for CPU - 100M

Something I have noticed since OCing my 4GD5T MSI 970. When I turn up the speed in MSI afterburner, my OC GPU numbers do not match the OC of the GPU in afterburner. Example if I set GPU to +155 it doesn't do beyond 1471mhz in real world gaming performance. If I have it set in the +140 level, it does the same 1471mhz GPU clock frequency. The memory is not a problem. It does 4090mhz with more upward potential.

There are some who post numbers 1600mhz+ and I wonder if that is stable real world performance or something they do for a few minutes for a short term benchmark. I am looking for everyday OCing values so I know what I should expect from my OC.

@Gofspar I shorted that last resistor and I can now get 1600Mhz on core with stock bios. In afterburner voltage didn`t increase above specified.

EDIT1: Memory clock can now be OC`ed by 300Mhz with no artifacts( previous was 240Mhz :D ).

EDIT2: 1.3v bios gives 0Mhz overclock over stock bios without artifacting :huh: .  I`m confused now, why my card doesn`t OC more with 1.3v bios after applying CLU on last resistor?

CPU-delided i5-4670k@4.6Ghz 1.42v R.I.P (2013-2015) MOBO-Asus Maximus VI Gene GPU-Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming@1582Mhz core/3744Mhz memory COOLING-Corsair H60 RAM-1x8Gb Crucial ballistix tactical tracer@2133Mhz 11-12-12-26  DRIVES-Kingston V300 60Gb, OCZ trion 100 120Gb, WD Red 1Tb

@Gofspar I shorted that last resistor and I can now get 1600Mhz on core with stock bios. In afterburner voltage didn`t increase above specified.

EDIT1: Memory clock can now be OC`ed by 300Mhz with no artifacts( previous was 240Mhz :D ).

EDIT2: 1.3v bios gives 0Mhz overclock over stock bios without artifacting :huh: .  I`m confused now, why my card doesn`t OC more with 1.3v bios after applying CLU on last resistor?

not sure. Im not sure what that 3rd resistor did, try to wipe the clu off of that one.

PEWDIEPIE DONT CROSS THAT BRIDGE

not sure. Im not sure what that 3rd resistor did, try to wipe the clu off of that one.

I`ll keep it on there since stock bios can now achieve same results as 1.3v ( In GPUPI I could even go as high as 1668Mhz ).

Something I have noticed since OCing my 4GD5T MSI 970. When I turn up the speed in MSI afterburner, my OC GPU numbers do not match the OC of the GPU in afterburner. Example if I set GPU to +155 it doesn't do beyond 1471mhz in real world gaming performance. If I have it set in the +140 level, it does the same 1471mhz GPU clock frequency. The memory is not a problem. It does 4090mhz with more upward potential.

There are some who post numbers 1600mhz+ and I wonder if that is stable real world performance or something they do for a few minutes for a short term benchmark. I am looking for everyday OCing values so I know what I should expect from my OC.

its 24/7 stable 1600MHz meant. Which some reached / can reach.

My old gtx970 G1 could get to ~ 1590MHz 24/7. Now ive got a new card and haven't tested yet.

I only tested 1500MHz on stock bios without pushing power limit or mV higher.. and yea it works (not sure if stable, not enough tested.. but i have no clock drops or anything weird)

Some cards can get really high. In another forum i have seen someone with a gtx970 MSI 4G with 96%asic.. he clocked to 1780MHz. ... ON AIR (atleast he said so and posted benches)

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800x3D | MoBo: MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | RAM: G.Skill F4-3600C15D-16GTZ @3800CL16 | GPU: RTX 2080Ti | PSU: Corsair HX1200 | 

Case: Lian Li 011D XL | Storage: Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB, Crucial MX500 500GB | Soundcard: Soundblaster ZXR | Mouse: Razer Viper Mini | Keyboard: Razer Huntsman TE Monitor: DELL AW2521H @360Hz |

My old gtx970 G1 could get to ~ 1590MHz 24/7. Now ive got a new card and haven't tested yet.

I only tested 1500MHz on stock bios without pushing power limit or mV higher.. and yea it works (not sure if stable, not enough tested.. but i have no clock drops or anything weird)

Some cards can get really high. In another forum i have seen someone with a gtx970 MSI 4G with 96%asic.. he clocked to 1780MHz. ... ON AIR (atleast he said so and posted benches)

probably not real, unless hes on LN2.

probably not real, unless hes on LN2.

well i dont know there was a review about an asus strix doing 1750Mhz without voltage increase on a well-known pc internet page in germany. I think its possible And i think with an asic quality of 96% you couldnt run the card on LN2 it would produce the "cold bug"

3trtiy7qcpce.png

Sorry for the bad picture resolution. (source http://www.pcgameshardware.de/Asus-GTX-970-Strix-4G-Grafikkarte-259815/News/Ultra-OC-1750-MHz-1144717/)

I don't doubt it if the card is EVGA. I noticed in some of the OC'ing posts that they had a +25% boost in power. I am running stock MSI Afterburner myself. The max power boost is 10%. If I go into afterburner advanced settings, I am sure I could extend that power boost another 10-15%. It also seems in most of the OC's that most either get a really good core clock OC or memory OC. It's usually never both. For me, my memory seems to have a good amount of OCing in the memory.

well i dont know there was a review about an asus strix doing 1750Mhz without voltage increase on a well-known pc internet page in germany. I think its possible

3trtiy7qcpce.png

Sorry for the bad picture resolution. (source http://www.pcgameshardware.de/Asus-GTX-970-Strix-4G-Grafikkarte-259815/News/Ultra-OC-1750-MHz-1144717/)

Thats the strix on hwbot that had a e-power board soldered on with LN2, lmao.

ok thats not written in the article. I couldnt know. But if this is true then someone fooled a community haha... 

789768-gtx-970-ultra-ohne-spannungsanheb

The core GPU clock is impressive but the memory OC is not impressive. I am getting 2045mhz on the memory on my 4GD5T. No artifacts on the memory at all and still raising the memory. It's at +626 in MSI afterburner for memory. GPU-Z says I have Hynix memory chips. I have known there is always a difference in OCing memory chips based on who makes them. Some OC better than others. 

The core GPU clock is impressive but the memory OC is not impressive. I am getting 2045mhz on the memory on my 4GD5T. No artifacts on the memory at all and still raising the memory. It's at +626 in MSI afterburner for memory. GPU-Z says I have Hynix memory chips. I have known there is always a difference in OCing memory chips based on who makes them. Some OC better than others. 

Samsung is usually the good memory. But not always. In my case my Samsung VRAM can't go past 1450Mhz without artifacting. Nice to see that you got good Hynix chips.

hey guys I changed my cpu, now i have a spare h55 just laying around. I was wondering if any companies sell any water cooling brackets for the evga gtx 970???

I have Hynix memory module on my G1. I can't get past 200+ on mem clock. Once I make it 201+ everything starts to be unstable. Artifacts everywhere and crashes all the time

Welp. Should I exchange cards..?

Edit: I'm pushing 1521MHz on core

I have Hynix memory module on my G1. I can't get past 200+ on mem clock. Once I make it 201+ everything starts to be unstable. Artifacts everywhere and crashes all the time

Only +200Mhz? Damn that's bad. Mine hits +400 easily with its Samsung memory (my GTX 650 ti 2GB might be able to pull if off as well if it had power to spare). Then again, my G1 can't even run stable at stock so things pretty much even out (I've probably got the worst G1 Gaming cards of all time).

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Only +200Mhz? Damn that's bad. Mine hits +400 easily with its Samsung memory (my GTX 650 ti 2GB might be able to pull if off as well if it had power to spare). Then again, my G1 can't even run stable at stock so things pretty much even out (I've probably got the worst G1 Gaming cards of all time).

Hah +400? [emoji32] When I make it +205. The LOADING screen of gta v (in the start with the cop sirens and shit) artifacts like crazy with red dots and red squares everywhere. As if I was running it on acid. And then it crashes the game and my windows wont even respond and I'd have to restart my PC. Fucking hynix chip. I wish we could choose.

Hah +400? [emoji32] When I make it +205. The LOADING screen of gta v (in the start with the cop sirens and shit) artifacts like crazy with red dots and red squares everywhere. As if I was running it on acid. And then it crashes the game and my windows wont even respond and I'd have to restart my PC. Fucking hynix chip. I wish we could choose.

That's Hynix for you though. If I remember correctly even back in the days of SDRAM (pre DDR) Samsung chips overclocked better than Hynix (I'd do a test, but both 512MB sticks are faulty).

PMSL

That's Hynix for you though. If I remember correctly even back in the days of SDRAM (pre DDR) Samsung chips overclocked better than Hynix (I'd do a test, but both 512MB sticks are faulty).

Wait one thing, I was installing the H80i GT one fine day so all the cables were plugged off because I work on a table. I removed the GPU for more space and once I was done I reinstalled it. For a long time I guess I was using my DVI-D cable on DVI-I slot. Because I plugged the cable in on DVI-D and it wont boot. I thought I fucked the card or something. But then realise that I just have a faulty DVI-D. It didn't really bother me because I don't use more than 1 monitor. But should I take this as a chance to exchange my card?

Edit: Been using this close to about 7 months now.

Wait one thing, I was installing the H80i GT one fine day so all the cables were plugged off because I work on a table. I removed the GPU for more space and once I was done I reinstalled it. For a long time I guess I was using my DVI-D cable on DVI-I slot. Because I plugged the cable in on DVI-D and it wont boot. I thought I fucked the card or something. But then realise that I just have a faulty DVI-D. It didn't really bother me because I don't use more than 1 monitor. But should I take this as a chance to exchange my card?

Edit: Been using this close to about 7 months now.

Yep, go for it-if the card doesn't work as expected and you haven't damaged it yourself your entitled to a refund. Gigabyte however were absolute dicks about it to me and 5RMA's latter I got a 'refurbished' GTX 970-which was my original one that still had the same problems-even the dust under the fans was still there (its like the dust gets sifted by my cases dust filters its that fine-either that or I've got problems with the fibre board in the walls and ceilings-which wouldn't surprise me considering how old this house is).

PMSL

GTX 970 owners. I am doing a GTX 970 giveaway on here. http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/382964-nvidiaamd-970290x-or-390x-giveaway-poll/ Voting ends next week. Looks like EVGA and Gigabyte are in the lead.

Love cats and Linus. Check out linuscattips-fan-club. http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Z9QDVn and Asus ROG Swift. I love anime as well. Check out Heaven Society heaven-society. My own personal giveaway thread http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/387856-evga-geforce-gtx-970-giveaway-presented-by-grimneo/.

Edit: I'm pushing 1521MHz on core

i have exchanged my card. The Vendor has taken it back as a gesture of good will.

My first Card was "ok-ish" but had a little bit of coilwhine and the high pitched noise was unacceptable for my dog it seemed to be really high frequent because i couldnt here it loud or anything. The OC performance was like 1580Mhz on clock and 7575Mhz on the Hynix Memory (pretty bad) it was a rev 1.0 Card and had an Asic Quality of 64%. 

What ive gotten is a rev 1.1 Card with Samsung RAM. I havent Overclocked because im waiting for my new Case. But first attemps looking very good so far. The old card had crashed by setting the Vram to +300 (@msi afterburner). With the new card +400 is no Problem. So for now it really looks like the exchange was an upgrade.

You should try to exchange if you want to Overclock "higher". The Problem here is that you might have to wait up to 2Month until you get a new card when your vendor is sending the card to gigabyte. So i would recommend to ask your vendor to directly exchange the Card. (good to have an e-mail from gigaybte e-support that says "exchange the defect card at your vendor")