GTX 970 Owners Club

So I was experimenting with fanless mode BIOS tweaks for my G1, and I kept having a problem where the RPM would randomly shoot up to like 100% and then back down, and it did this fairly often.  I since flashed it back to normal settings as I found it very annoying, but is there a way to fix this?

Also we found out the memory of the original BIOS doesn't matter?

@bossdre , how did your new OC go? 

Still the same.. +130 core clock and +300 memory clock at 133% power limit.

I guess I just got an average chip. I'm still happy though, it boosts up to 1535 core clock. About the memory though, I have a Hynix chip and it's known for poor to average overclocks. I've only pushed it up to 7612mhz. Afaik, my clocks are in the realm of stock GTX 980 and as long as I've reached it I'm definitely satisfied, but ofcourse, being able to overclock pass the stock GTX 980 is an added bonus. :)

@Gofspar

Hmm.. I think I flashed the 1.3v rom, but I'm seeing on MSI Afterburner is that it only peaks at 1.275v. Did I mistakenly flashed the 1.275v rom or it's the highest voltage that MSI can display even though it's using 1.3v?

Thanks!

So I was experimenting with fanless mode BIOS tweaks for my G1, and I kept having a problem where the RPM would randomly shoot up to like 100% and then back down, and it did this fairly often.  I since flashed it back to normal settings as I found it very annoying, but is there a way to fix this?

Also we found out the memory of the original BIOS doesn't matter?

Yeah me too.. it annoyed me, but what I did was, I just set the minimum fan at 35% just like at stock. It's just nice to have the option to kill your fans. :)

I love free stuff.

GTX 970 with pseudo 4gb vram at pseudo 224gb/s at pseudo  256-bit with 56 ROPs (corrected from 64) and 1.75mb L2 cache (corrected from 2mb).

Still the same.. +130 core clock and +300 memory clock at 133% power limit.

I guess I just got an average chip. I'm still happy though, it boosts up to 1535 core clock. About the memory though, I have a Hynix chip and it's known for poor to average overclocks. I've only pushed it up to 7612mhz. Afaik, my clocks are in the realm of stock GTX 980 and as long as I've reached it I'm definitely satisfied, but ofcourse, being able to overclock pass the stock GTX 980 is an added bonus. :)

@Gofspar

Hmm.. I think I flashed the 1.3v rom, but I'm seeing on MSI Afterburner is that it only peaks at 1.275v. Did I mistakenly flashed the 1.275v rom or it's the highest voltage that MSI can display even though it's using 1.3v?

Thanks!

Yeah me too.. it annoyed me, but what I did was, I just set the minimum fan at 35% just like at stock. It's just nice to have the option to kill your fans. :)

It's actually at 1.3v, its just software wont read past 1.275

PEWDIEPIE DONT CROSS THAT BRIDGE

UPDATED WITH NEW BIOS'S

Updated with a tutorial for flashing single gpu configs.

If any of your friends have a card that I haven't made a bios for tell me. <3

@Gofspar

Just want to ask, if flashing a custom bios will mess Geforce Experience app? Because some of it's features doesn't function anymore such as Shadowplay and the LED visualizer.

And another thing, I'm experiencing random game crashes and computer restart at stock clocks and my previous overclock with the stock vbios is now unstable. Did I need to do something or did I do something to mess up my GPU?

Thanks. :)

I love free stuff.

GTX 970 with pseudo 4gb vram at pseudo 224gb/s at pseudo  256-bit with 56 ROPs (corrected from 64) and 1.75mb L2 cache (corrected from 2mb).

@Gofspar

Just want to ask, if flashing a custom bios will mess Geforce Experience app? Because some of it's features doesn't function anymore such as Shadowplay and the LED visualizer.

And another thing, I'm experiencing random game crashes and computer restart at stock clocks and my previous overclock with the stock vbios is now unstable. Did I need to do something or did I do something to mess up my GPU?

Thanks. :)

That wouldn't make any sense?

I use both LED Visualizer and Shadowplay and I run modified bios. Try a reinstall of drivers maybe.

Regarding the crashing did you set voltage to +0 and max the TDP?

If I make my G1 970 a silent one I don't damage the VRM's and that stuff for letting the card be passively cooled until it reaches 60°C?

If I make my G1 970 a silent one I don't damage the VRM's and that stuff for letting the card be passively cooled until it reaches 60°C?

it'll be fine

it'll be fine

And basically i'm "extending" the life of the fans?

Also: I need to flash the BIOS in both display port and DVI?, i'm talking about the G1, it has 2 BIOS.

I'm fine just flashing with the cable connected to the port I use? (HDMI)

And basically i'm "extending" the life of the fans?

its just making it quieter, my first bios has it built in along with some nice little touches

its just making it quieter, my first bios has it built in along with some nice little touches

Hmm nice, i'm fine with stock settings. What do you recommend? leave the stock one or make it "more quiet"? I don't want to harm the card or take any risk... I think that warranty covers this thanks to the dual bios right?

Hmm nice, i'm fine with stock settings. What do you recommend? leave the stock one or make it "more quiet"? I don't want to harm the card or take any risk... I think that warranty covers this thanks to the dual bios right?

yeah, its pretty hard to brick a card nowadays.

I'd use my first bios if you are worried about voiding warranties.

yeah, its pretty hard to brick a card nowadays.

I'd use my first bios if you are worried about voiding warranties.

Nice. It leaves everything at stock except the fan and TDP? Can I leave the TDP at stock? What you did to stop the throttle?

Nice. It leaves everything at stock except the fan and TDP? Can I leave the TDP at stock? What you did to stop the throttle?

I just changed a little bit of the boost tables, also the TDP wont hurt anything. the card uses what it needs

I just changed a little bit of the boost tables, also the TDP wont hurt anything. the card uses what it needs

Great :D

now I have some questions:

When I disable the 970 in the device manager the resolution stays the same (1080p) Is normal?

Also, in maxwell the Checksum changes from the original and the modded BIOS

I'm doing it right, I have to change something or I'm doing something wrong before I flash the BIOS?

Great :D

now I have some questions:

When I disable the 970 in the device manager the resolution stays the same (1080p) Is normal?

Also, in maxwell the Checksum changes from the original and the modded BIOS

I'm doing it right, I have to change something or I'm doing something wrong before I flash the BIOS?

The resolution goes back to normal after you flash and renable.

All bios's have a different checksum

just use my tutorial, disable the card, flash, restart and renable.

Updated with Zotac

Anyone managed to calm the GPU fan down a bit?  Sometimes it randomly spikes in fan speed and MSI AB reports it as going at 800,000 RPM lol.  Sharp spikes up and down on fan tachometer but fan speed % stays table.

QUOTE ME IN A REPLY SO I CAN SEE THE NOTIFICATION!

When there is no danger of failure there is no pleasure in success.

Anyone managed to calm the GPU fan down a bit?  Sometimes it randomly spikes in fan speed and MSI AB reports it as going at 800,000 RPM lol.  Sharp spikes up and down on fan tachometer but fan speed % stays table.

What card do you have, my bios has a silent fan mode built in

What card do you have, my bios has a silent fan mode built in

G1 Gaming.  Using your BIOS and that's when the fan craziness starts.  I'm not sure whether the fan actually spins at max when AB shows the 800k RPM spike, cos it goes up and down in a split second but long enough for AB to register it and show on the graph.  

waGnyYG.png

G1 Gaming.  Using your BIOS and that's when the fan craziness starts.  I'm not sure whether the fan actually spins at max when AB shows the 800k RPM spike, cos it goes up and down in a split second but long enough for AB to register it and show on the graph.  

waGnyYG.png

Use this fan Curve.

6592bd0216f4a1ca7028c7f42e12d3e2.png

Use this fan Curve.

6592bd0216f4a1ca7028c7f42e12d3e2.png

I'm already using a similar fan curve but the fluctuations happen even on temps that are set to 0.  My temps were around 55c with only a 3c hysteresis so it should never trigger the fan until around 65c.

RUbAhDk.png

I'm already using a similar fan curve but the fluctuations happen even on temps that are set to 0.  My temps were around 55c with only a 3c hysteresis so it should never trigger the fan until around 65c.

RUbAhDk.png

it needs to be a bit more aggressive off the bat so like 0 to 25% its because its not getting enough voltage to start the fan

it needs to be a bit more aggressive off the bat so like 0 to 25% its because its not getting enough voltage to start the fan

I've changed my fan curve to jump to 25% at 65c.  I'll monitor how it performs :)