Khronos Group press conference at GDC about Vulkan

Khronos Group released a PDF version of a presentation, via the tweet of the EA presenter, supposedly scheduled for the 15th of this month.

3OGC5Mu.png

The above is the basic post, you can go to the source if you want but I'll include brief summaries of the topics covered by the six speakers for those who don't care to look through the lengthy PDF.

The presentation starts off fairly tame, they just clarify what Vulkan is, how it came to be, what other projects contributed to it, etc.

This part is led by somebody from EA. (all names in presentation)

afde7a7d31.jpg

c1689996aa.jpgeede4ec35e.jpg

72de9142fe.jpg

They hand it off to the next speaker from Valve.

He details the benefits of Vulkan, as well as the extra work that these benefit will require on the developer side.

He introduces how scheduling will work in Vulkan.

And he finishes off with announcing that Valve's Intel/Linux driver will be open sourced, and that Source 2 supports the Vulkan Alpha as of this day (not known whether it means the 15th or now.

There's also an empty slide titled "Demo" without anything on it, hopefully somebody will write about it when the presentation takes place.

5d11d20f1a.jpg

833e3e1f87.jpg

e4547b6fcd.jpg

4275f8805b.jpg

He then passes the torch to the next speaker from Oxide Games.

He talks mostly about how CPU and GPU utilization is improved and then has a screenshot demonstrating these improvements by implementing the ideas into a mantle build.

The first slide is marked inspirational video but again is empty.

He mentions how CPU improvements are coming not from better single threaded performance but higher core count and says that because of this software must scale well in multi-core cpus.

He finishes by detailing how the Vulkan API will fix lack of cpu usage in vs how current APIs handle it- rather than having no usage it'll assign other jobs to it-.

b8dc16f4a8.jpg

d33fda6be9.jpg

b57303a498.jpg

99fa02482b.jpg

b42814af32.jpg

7ed02fb7dd.jpg

4a8b5dfc9e.jpg

The next speaker was from Unreal (Engine).

He talked mainly about what the code will look like and what kinds of commands will be at your (a developers) disposal.

gw7YO.jpg

gw80d.jpg

gw81o.jpg

gw82H.jpg

gw84m.jpg

The speaker that followed was from Unity and talked about Vulkan's shader library, SPIR-V, and general compiling.

gw8rv.png

gw8sn.png

gw8t0.jpg

gw8ua.png

gw8uQ.png

gw8wl.png

gw8wO.png

A different speaker from Valve comes on stage and talks about the different layers of the Vulkan API, with the first and last layers, the application and the drive, being required and the the inclusion of the middle layers being up to the developers.

 Validation

 Reference Counting

 Performance Linting

 Debug

 Thread Safety

 Trace Capture & Replay

He explains that there are two types of layers; Active layers -layers requested by the application-  and Passive layers -layers injected by third party (i.e. Steam,Fraps, Rivatuner stat server). He then goes on to say that a layer can be either open source or proprietary.

He talks about the SDK; what it includes, and what each of the included things are.

The loader - You can either use the default loader or create a private/proprietary one to avoid common problems such as those with opengl32.dll.

The Header/build scripts.

And official layers mentioned above.

There's also a few more things included such as scripts used to debug by generating trivial layers, valve's open source Intel/linux driver, and the GLSL->SPIR-V compiler.

In closing he mentioned a 3rd party debugger developed in parallel with Vulkan, GLAVE, which is to Vulkan as VOGL was to OpenGL.

There's another slide marked "Performance Demo" but as in the other two instances it is empty.

gw8XK.jpg

gw8Yw.jpg

gw8Zw.jpg

gw90l.jpg

gw91s.jpg

gw92q.jpg

gw932.jpg

gw93E.jpg

Linus Sebastian said:

The stand is indeed made of metal but I wouldn't drive my car over a bridge made of it.

https://youtu.be/X5YXWqhL9ik?t=552

With great power.... more developer responsibility AHhhhhh... ubisoft I'm scared. 

CPU: Intel 3570 GPUs: Nvidia GTX 660Ti Case: Fractal design Define R4  Storage: 1TB WD Caviar Black & 240GB Hyper X 3k SSD Sound: Custom One Pros Keyboard: Ducky Shine 4 Mouse: Logitech G500

With great power.... more developer responsibility AHhhhhh... ubisoft I'm scared. 

NO MORE HALF FINISHED GAMES WOOHOOO

now only 25% finished games. a good reason to boycott lazy dev.

Soo we can hope for Battlefield 5 to use Vulkan? So maybe linux support, or am I pushing it? :P

MacBook Pro 15' 2018 (Pretty much the only system I use)

I'm only posting here coz you said everyone was ignoring it :)

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

I'm only posting here coz you said everyone was ignoring it :)

I appreciate that, maybe while it's at the top for a few seconds a few more people will notice.

Linus Sebastian said:

The stand is indeed made of metal but I wouldn't drive my car over a bridge made of it.

-snip

Even I find that to be a bit of a stretch.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Now let's see who's gonna actually implement that... because unless unity makes it the primary API, 95% of games will still be the same not texture physics simulators we have now.

Now let's see who's gonna actually implement that... because unless unity makes it the primary API, 95% of games will still be the same not texture physics simulators we have now.

Well there's Source 2 by Valve, there's Unreal Engine by Epic Games, and there's Unity.

There will also likely be support on the Frostbite Engine since EA was one of the presenters.

Below are companies collaborating with them to make Vulkan happen.......most of those names are pretty big if I do say so myself.

2015-vk-image-5.png

Linus Sebastian said: