Why is the leap from Console to PC so large?

hak4fun

If PS4 runs on X86, why is it so much work to get a PC game working on console, and vice versa. I would think it would just be reoptimizing.... 

Call me stupid, I might be. Just thought I would ask.

Is it bad that my dream setup only costs a few thousand not counting the obutto?

CPU: FX-8320

Motherboard: asrock 970Pro3 r2.0

Memory: Team Zeus Blue 8GB DDR3-1600 Memory 

Video Card: Sapphire Radeon R9 280 3GB DUAL-X Video Card 

Case: Deepcool TESSERACT BF ATX Mid Tower Case  

Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply  

SSD: MX100 128GB

HDD: WD 2TB black edition

If PS4 runs on X86, why is it so much work to get a PC game working on console, and vice versa. I would think it would just be reoptimizing.... 

its not really that much work, its either lazy developers, or devs being paid to either not port the game, or to rush it out without any work

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Difficulty is reducing as console architecture gets closer to PC architecture.

its not really that much work, its either lazy developers, or devs being paid to either not port the game, or to rush it out without any work

Pretty much answered already.

"an obvious supporter of privacy"

x86 is runnable on x64 OS and hardware. They just don't want to port it.

Only thing I can think of is that with consoles, you are optimizing for one set of hardware.

With the PC hardware market being so segmented, developers have to optimize for endless combos of hardware from the low end all the way to the elite.

CPU i5-4690K(OC to 4.4Ghz) CPU Cooler NZXT Kraken x41 Motherboard MSI Z97 Gaming 5 Memory G.Skillz Ripjaws X 16gb 2133 Video Card MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X           Case NZXT H440 Power Supply XFX XTR 750W Modular Storage Samsung 840 EVO 250gb/Seagate Barracuda 2TB Monitor Acer XB270HU G-Sync http://pcpartpicker.com/b/3CkTwP

It's made so that the game company and the manufacturer (Sony, Microsoft...) makes more money, as you would only have to pay for the game once if you could play it on both devices. It's how the modern world works.

You could make your own way to "re-write" the game (or whatever) to play it on PC and a console without having to buy another version for each device, but then, they'd just call you a pirate or find some legal hole to silence you and make more money doing it.

True, optimization on console is MUCH easier than on PC...

Still, Glorious PC Master Racee

GPU: GIGABYTE GTX 780 (x2, SLI) CPU: i7 5820k Motherboard: Alienware Aurora R4 Mobo RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 32 GB SSD: Samsung EVO 840

HDD: WD Green 3TB Cooler: Corsair H100i

People are too lazy...

Not really...

Developers are paid to be lazy, but marketing managers just want to make more money.

x86 is runnable on x64 OS and hardware. They just don't want to port it.

Pretty much answered already.

Difficulty is reducing as console architecture gets closer to PC architecture.

Next question. Why can't we just stick a console game into our PC? Is it compiled differently?

Only thing I can think of is that with consoles, you are optimizing for one set of hardware.

With the PC hardware market being so segmented, developers have to optimize for endless combos of hardware from the low end all the way to the elite.

That is a good point.

Is it bad that my dream setup only costs a few thousand not counting the obutto?

#PCMASTERRACE

i5 4690k,GTX980,HyperX Savage 8gb,Asus sabertooth mark 2, samsung 850 evo and wd green 1tb with Corsair CSM 650M

Next question. Why can't we just stick a console game into our PC? Is it compiled differently?

That is a good point.

Different libraries for different OS'. Orbis (the OS the PS4 runs) is based on Unix. Windows typically doesn't support Unix stuff and vice versa (yes, there's WINE, but it's buggy most of the time.)

Yeah think of the PS4 as Mac OSX, you cant just install iMovie on Windows, its different, even though the hardware is the same

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Different libraries for different OS'. Orbis (the OS the PS4 runs) is based on Unix. Windows typically doesn't support Unix stuff and vice versa (yes, there's WINE, but it's buggy most of the time.)

Yeah think of the PS4 as Mac OSX, you cant just install iMovie on Windows, its different, even though the hardware is the same

Okay, so if someone were to "recreate" the PS4's operating system. Could you? are those libraries out there, and available?

Okay, so if someone were to "recreate" the PS4's operating system. Could you? are those libraries out there, and available?

Absolutely nothing is stopping you. Laws, maybe, I don't know the formalities, but it'd be a ton of work.

Potentially, but there would be no point, because the PS4 game does not have the options to change graphical settings, the game is optimized before shipping 

example, a console game runs at 720p - only 720p textures are stored/loaded for the game, since there is no point having 1080p ones

the game has to be made scalable for it to work properly on pc hardware

Absolutely nothing is stopping you. Laws, maybe, I don't know the formalities, but it'd be a ton of work.

Potentially, but there would be no point, because the PS4 game does not have the options to change graphical settings, the game is optimized before shipping 

example, a console game runs at 720p - only 720p textures are stored/loaded for the game, since there is no point having 1080p ones

the game has to be made scalable for it to work properly on pc hardware

Hmmm... yea thats true. Unless they were console exclusives then it might be worth it.

It would be a fun project though.

Hmmm... yea thats true. Unless they were console exclusives then it might be worth it.

It would be a fun project though.

if you say so :P

Personally I am just gonna buy a PS4 and ONE for the exclusives :)

if you say so :P

Personally I am just gonna buy a PS4 and ONE for the exclusives :)

I find great fun in projects that people say are too difficult to be worth it. xD

OS emulation/translation is more than difficult (mostly due to the lack of documentation on the back-end, which I can assure you both Microsoft and Sony won't give).

As mentioned, WINE (run under Linux Windows made executable) barely runs software properly. And Windows has been out for how many years? And same for WINE project? As you can see, its extremely difficult.

I Suppose the easiest answer for this is market share, and after sales support.

The programming gap between consoles and PC,  as has been quite rightly stated before in this thread, is constantly Reducing, with Console hardware becoming much more similar to PC in recent Generations, (both the Xbox and PS4 use a modified AMD APU).

But the simplest answer may just be one of money, if you were a large company looking to make the most profit, wouldn't it make sense to aim your products at a large consumer base, who will readily pay £50 (UK) per game (this is proven year after year with each release of COD/Halo etc.

You also have to think of support,  its much easier for a company such as EA to support their customers when probably 80% of their customers are using 1 of 2 possible hardware configurations, as opposed to the literally thousands of configurations possible on PC.

I Suppose the easiest answer for this is market share, and after sales support.

The programming gap between consoles and PC,  as has been quite rightly stated before in this thread, is constantly Reducing, with Console hardware becoming much more similar to PC in recent Generations, (both the Xbox and PS4 use a modified AMD APU).

But the simplest answer may just be one of money, if you were a large company looking to make the most profit, wouldn't it make sense to aim your products at a large consumer base, who will readily pay £50 (UK) per game (this is proven year after year with each release of COD/Halo etc.

You also have to think of support,  its much easier for a company such as EA to support their customers when probably 80% of their customers are using 1 of 2 possible hardware configurations, as opposed to the literally thousands of configurations possible on PC.

True. I just don't understand if they have tons of people on PC waiting for a game, and willing to pay for it. They won't atleast try.