R9 290x lightning vs GTX 970 FTW+

The 290X Lightning is the better card, but since it's going in the tiny Ncase M1 then go for the 970. There just isn't enough airflow in there to be comfortably running a 290X, even with an AIO.

"Rawr XD"

gtx 970.

the 290x will produce alot of heat seeing as its going in a small case.

"Sulit" (adj.) something that is worth it

i7 8700K 4.8Ghz delidded / Corsair H100i V2 / Asus Strix Z370-F / G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB 3200 / EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q

Samsung 850 EVO 500GB & 250GB - Crucial MX300 M.2 525GB / Fractal Design Define S / Corsair K70 MX Reds / Logitech G502 / Beyerdynamic DT770 250Ohm

SMSL SD793II AMP/DAC - Schiit Magni 3 / PCPP

Old Rig

i5 2500k 4.5Ghz | Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P | Zotac GTX 980 AMP! Extreme | Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB 1866MHz

Put the 970 in it. If you go for the 290x you will have a space heater.

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

I have owned both of these cards and the 970 wins in all the benchmarking I did. The 290x LIGHTNING, this is a lightning we are talking about, not REFERENCE, it does NOT GET HOT. My card was overclocked (over 1200 core and don't remember the memory but it was higher than any overclock the reviews showed) and it never ever ever went over 70C.  I realize this is going in a smaller case but both cards will cool the exact same from my experience.  WIth the AIO all bets are off, I doubt the AIO cooler will be as good as the air cooler on the Lightning.

I have owned both of these cards and the 970 wins in all the benchmarking I did. The 290x LIGHTNING, this is a lightning we are talking about, not REFERENCE, it does NOT GET HOT. My card was overclocked (over 1200 core and don't remember the memory but it was higher than any overclock the reviews showed) and it never ever ever went over 70C.  I realize this is going in a smaller case but both cards will cool the exact same from my experience.  WIth the AIO all bets are off, I doubt the AIO cooler will be as good as the air cooler on the Lightning.

You still need to realize that this is twice the heat output we're talking about.... in a smaller case it's a much bigger deal.

"Rawr XD"

970 for that case makes more sense, but you could grab a kraken g10 and a cheap 120 mm cooler for the 290x, would be a fun project.

Bleigh!  Ever hear of AC series? 

What res did you bench in? Because my 290x Lightning at 1200/6400 beat my 970 G1 at 1600/7600 by 3-6 FPS in 90% of the benchmarks I did at 1440p.

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089