Some Samsung 850PRO SSDs get bricked by a faulty firmware update

post-941-0-53022300-1424868506.png

As if the whole 840EVO fiasco wasn't enough, now the top of the line consumer SSDs from Samsung -- the 850PRO -- is getting hit by a rather classical glitch, involving what was to be a routine device firmware upgrade for an otherwise rock stable and fast SSD.

Reports have been coming in for a while not that people end up with dead Samsung 850 Pro SSDs. The problem seems to originate from a firmware update issued using samsung's Magician Software. Once users update the firmware to the latest build people run into black screens and an unrecognizable SSD in the BIOS. 

Now it should be mentioned that lost of people have no issue after the update, but there certainly is a group that does. It seems that the root cause of the issue for a number of people is the EXM02B6Q firmware for the 850 Pro series. It should be noted that we just noticed that Samsung seems to have removed the 850 Pro firmware upgrade from their web site and won't be back available until it's verified to be usable.

For the time being we strongly advise you to NOT install new firmware upgrades onto your 850 Pro SSD. You can find some more information on this facebook group page which is run by a number of people who ran into this massive problem.

Source: Users report bricked Samsung 850 Pro after latest firmware update

glad I ignored that shit lol. it popped up during bf4 and brought me out of full screen.

4790k @ 4.6 (1.25 adaptive) // 2x GTX 970 stock clocks/voltage // Dominator Platnium 4x4 16G //Maximus Formula VII // WD Black1TB + 128GB 850 PRO // RM1000 // NZXT H440 // Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2013 (MX Blue) // Corsair M95 + Steelseries QCK // Razer Adaro DJ // AOC I2757FH

Someone's about to get fired...

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

Wow. Just wow. Here I was, convinced that Samsung's finally got it together after the 840 incident. Heck, I've been recommending 850s to almost everyone who asked. Those Samsung peeps finally regained my trust and and... and....

tumblr_n3dfwlPSL11rlo1q2o1_500.jpg

Just like that.

Jk. I'll still recommend the 850. But with a friendly warning about not to firmware upgrade the thing. Ugh Samsung c/mon!

Main Rig: Illya V2, the Tiny Titan: ||i7 8700k 5GHz @ 1.385v (delidded)|| ||NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE|| ||KrakenZ63|| ||ASRock Z390-Phantom-ITX/ac|| ||Corsair SF750||

2nd Rig: Illya V1, the Air Cooled Prodigy: ||i7 4790k 4.4GHz @ 1.3v|| |NVIDIA RTX 2080 FE|| ||Be Quiet! Dark Rock 2|| ||ASRock Z87-E|| ||SeaSonic G-Series 550w (Carbon Fiber Mod)||

Captain isHypnophobic of the LTT Conglomerate.

Oh Sh*t i installed it yesterday  :mellow:

Not having a problem so far.

My Red/Black rig: CM Storm Trooper Window - i5 4690K - Asus GTX 980 Strix DCU - Asus VII Formula z97 - Corsair H100i - 16GB Vengeance pro 2400MHz -Samsung 850 Pro 256GB(os) - Seagate barracuda 2TB - crucial BX200 250GB SSD - Cooler Master v850.----  Dell XPS 13: i5-5500u - 256GB SSD - 8GB DDR3L.

I just built a new PC for my mom using the 850 pro 128g.

Glad she hasn't switched over to it yet lol. It's just sitting here on my desk not plugged in. Still needs loads of windows updates. I'm guessing I should boot it up offline and disable any automatic updates by the samsung magician software?

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

I noticed the firmware update available in my Magician 2 days ago for my 850 Pro. I went over overclock.net forums to see if anyone had issues with the new firmware...and there was. I'm glad that I decided to wait :)

Every day I'm getting more and more glad I (recently) got a Crucial M550 instead of an 840 or 850. Huge saving, same speed and space - and my M4 was and still is ridiculously reliable multiple re-formats and two years later. 

Samsung SSD's are now entirely dead to me. I'll remain consistent with Crucial tyvm.

This is what I think of Pre-Ordering video games: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wp98SH3vW2Y

Was that source article written by a monkey without access to spell check?

Samsung really needs to step up its game. I've got two Samsung SSDs in my rig and now I live in constant paranoia that one day they'll either brick or slow down.

Turnip OC'd to 3Hz on air

Samsung automatically prompts you to upgrade the firmware of the drive? My stance on firmware and BIOS upgrades have always been "if it works, don't touch it".

Every day I'm getting more and more glad I (recently) got a Crucial M550 instead of an 840 or 850. Huge saving, same speed and space - and my M4 was and still is ridiculously reliable multiple re-formats and two years later. 

Samsung SSD's are now entirely dead to me. I'll remain consistent with Crucial tyvm.

But they don't have the same speed, don't kid yourself. The endurance of the flash is also way way way lower on your Crucial drive.

Also, Crucial don't have a flawless track record either. Not even Intel does.

Wow. Just wow. Here I was, convinced that Samsung's finally got it together after the 840 incident. Heck, I've been recommending 850s to almost everyone who asked. Those Samsung peeps finally regained my trust and and... and....

tumblr_n3dfwlPSL11rlo1q2o1_500.jpg

Just like that.

Jk. I'll still recommend the 850. But with a friendly warning about not to firmware upgrade the thing. Ugh Samsung c/mon!

I love my 850 Pros, I don't want them to be useless paperweights like my 840 EVO. Fuck, I don't think I'll get Samsung SSDs ever again.

I run my browser through NSA ports to make their illegal jobs easier. :P
If it's not broken, take it apart and fix it.
http://pcpartpicker.com/b/fGM8TW

I think im not buying any Samsumg SSDs anymore...

All i hear on the forum about SSDs is how samsung screwed something up.

Guess ill better pay extra for Intel if i want quality.

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

Samsung automatically prompts you to upgrade the firmware of the drive? My stance on firmware and BIOS upgrades have always been "if it works, don't touch it".

But they don't have the same speed, don't kid yourself. The endurance of the flash is also way way way lower on your Crucial drive.

Also, Crucial don't have a flawless track record either. Not even Intel does.

http://ssd.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Samsung-850-Pro-256GB-vs-Crucial-M550-256GB/2385vs2000

seems to be almost identical to me... at least FAR LESS difference than the price difference....  and flash endurance is negligble. As I said even my old M4 has been through multiple reformats over years and it still gives me over 200mb/s read and write.

This is what I think of Pre-Ordering video games: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wp98SH3vW2Y

Got myself 850 Pro 256GB month ago, runs fine.

But companies really need to do more internal testing for things like firmware/bios. But updates for drives doesn't make product bad. If some one would get a drive and would fail, it was just an unlucky pick in pool of good product. Ofc if you don't choos to buy from unpopular companies.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

This. I only really upgrade if it's to fix a major security fault or improves stability/performance, I don't touch this stuff unless I'm having issues with the hardware. Even then I'll leave it a few months after release, just in case.

Haven't updated mine. Hahaha! It popped up too when I was playing Blade and Souls.

Corsair 760T White | Asus X99 Deluxe | Intel i7-5930k @ 4.4ghz | Corsair H110 | G.Skill Ripjawz 2400mhz | Gigabyte GTX 970 Windforce G1 Gaming (1584mhz/8000mhz) | Corsair AX 760w | Samsung 850 pro | WD Black 1TB | IceModz Sleeved Cables | IceModz RGB LED pack

Damnit, Samsung!

But then I don't know why anyone would install Samsung Magician in the first place.

Will Samsung be the new OCZ? Great SSDs that everyone buys with minor problems that are blown out of proportion?