GTX 960 vs R9 280

TOMATOBASTARD

What are the prices for both?

In my opinion, I would go for a 280 as you can overclock it to 280x level.

I would only go for the 960 if I needed the low wattage requirements or efficiency,

What are the prices? If the 280 is more than 30$ cheaper it's the better choice. Otherwise get the 960.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

What are the prices for both?

In my opinion, I would go for a 280 as you can overclock it to 280x level.

I would only go for the 960 if I needed the low wattage requirements or efficiency,

zotac one is 214euros and 280 is 207 for the cheapest

u people are crazy the 

R9 280 

hands down clear winner

960 then.

Better temperatures.

Make sure you take advantage of the OC ability though.

kk then

u people are crazy the 

R9 280 

hands down clear winner

"different use case scenarios"

"discounts on one and not the other"

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

"Hands down"

Oh god vsync 

The BBQ: i7-4770 / 212x / Tri-X R9 290x 1075/1400 / MSI H87-G43 GAMING / EVGA G2 850W / Corsair Spec 03 / Samsung 840 EVO 250gb SSD / Toshiba 2TB HDD / 8gb Kingston DDR3 1600mhz

Peripherals: G710+ / G502 / Bose Companion 2 Series III / Audio Technica ATH-M40x / Sound Magic E50

Monitors: Dell U2414H 

280, similar performance, 50% more vram (helps in unoptimized/vram intensive games like SoM). The choice is clear.

RIP in pepperonis m8s

This guy, amirite?

Yeah man.. I know right..

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

R9 280 is the stronger card of the two (trades blows with high end overclocked cards like the GTX 960 G1). The R9 280 will age better as well due to it having an extra 1GB of VRAM.

I'd go for the 280, with a good OC it'l do great, and as Opcode said, it has the extra gig of ram, which will be very nice. 

Bleigh!  Ever hear of AC series? 

I had the same dilema as the Op and went with the 960 due to budget and availability (the 960 was cheaper than the few available 280s). Now its settled in and overclocked I am pretty happy.

I went with the EVGA SSC version.

i5 4670k @4.2ghz / MSI Z87 G45 / EVGA GTX 960 SSC / Samsung  840 EVo SSD / WD Green 1tb HDD / Corsair H75 / Corsair Obsidian 750D / Corsair CS750M

At stock the 960 is about the same of faster. The 960 has nvidia features, will most probably run cooler and also not consume that much power. The 280 however has another 1gb of vram. Its a difficult choice. I for one would go for the 280 and overclock it. Once overclocked it actually overtakes the 280x in performance.
21_msi28oc-vs-msi28x_big.png

zotac one is 214euros and 280 is 207 for the cheapest

For 7 bucks more get the 960. It's a bit faster and will draw less power as well as output less heat. Not game changing differences but nice to have when the price is so close.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

kk then

I do not agree.

I'd go for the 280 in any case, even if they'd be the same price. The extra GB of ram on the 280 is worth going for!