Best value AMD CPU for gaming?

Hi everyone,

I am gonna build a new PC soon but I still don't know which CPU to choose.

I want 4 cores and I was hoping to spend around 115$ or less on the CPU. I've seen some people reccomend an FX-6300, but since I don't need 6 cores, there should be an even cheaper option. Also I'm not planning to overclock it, so the relatively low clock speed of the FX-6300 might result in lower performance. Should I go for an FX series CPU because of the LM3-cache or should I go for an Athlon x4 one?

Thnx for your time, I would love tot hear some recommendations.

Go intel and get a nice I3

Core I7 5960X / Gigabyte X99 SOC Force / Kingston 16GB DDR4 3000 / EVGA GTX 980 Classified's In Quad SLI / EVGA 1600W G2

Core I7 6700K / Asus Z170 Maximus VIII Hero / Corsair 16GB DDR4 3000 / MSI R9 290X Lightning / EVGA 1600W T2

Hi everyone,

I want 4 cores and I was hoping to spend around 115$ or less on the CPU. I've seen some people reccomend an FX-6300, but since I don't need 6 cores, there should be an even cheaper option. Also I'm not planning to overclock it, so the relatively low clock speed of the FX-6300 might result in lower performance. Should I go for an FX series CPU because of the LM3-cache or should I go for an Athlon x4 one?

Athlon X4 860K all the way. It has a better architecture, better efficiency, and you won't be on a 7-year old platform.

LTT's unofficial Windows activation expert.

That's kinda off topic.

PC  Specs 2022:

Spoiler
  • CPU
    AMD Ryzen R9 5900x @ 5.1GHz - Auto OC
  • Curve Optimizer Magnitude: -20
  • Motherboard
    ASUS ROG STRIX x570-F Gaming
  • RAM
                                        Kingston Fury 32GB DDR4 3200MHz 16x2GB
  • GPU
    MSI 3070 8GB Ventus 2x OC
  • Case
    LIAN LI LANCOOL MESH II Mesh RGB Black
  • Storage
    Kingston NV1 2TB M.2. NVMe
  • PSU
    Seasonic Focus GX 850w 
  • Display(s)
    MSI OPTIX MAG 251RX IPS 240hz & ASUS MG248Q Vertical 144hz & Dell 60hz
  • Cooling
    NZXT Kraken x73 360mm
  • Keyboard
    Tt eSports Meka G1
  • Mouse
    Logitech G Pro Wireless
  • Operating System
    -Windows 10 Professional 64bit

X4 860k seems like a great option. Any motherboard recommendations?

Hi everyone,

Buy an Intel i3.  If your purpose is gaming, you are much better off with an i3 than any AMD processor.

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

Basicly a highest end Athlon quad core, and dont go with entry level i3 cuz its trash, if youd go with i3, go with 4370 since all i3s are locked and 4370 is the fastest one.

i would buy an intel core i3 and a cheap H series motherboard...if you can't afford this, then i would go with the athlon 860K and A88 chipset motherboard but you'd leave a lot of performance on the table doing that.

What GPU are you planning to use and what resolution do you game at?

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

Basicly a highest end Athlon quad core, and dont go with entry level i3 cuz its trash, if youd go with i3, go with 4370 since all i3s are locked and 4370 is the fastest one.

you're clueless...the i3-4150 for example can be found at around 100$ and is a very capable CPU when it comes to gaming and the i3-4370 you're talking about will only ever so slighlty outperform it that it's not worth the extra $$

If the user has some more to spend, then the i5-4440/4460 is the next step-up to recommend...not an expensive core i3.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

Buy an Intel i3.  If your purpose is gaming, you are much better off with an i3 than any AMD processor.

he said AMD and wants four cores. yes, an i3 has HT but it's still two cores.

6350 is a faster 6300 and a six core. that should work better than FN2/4xxx cpu

you're clueless...the i3-4150 for example can be found at around 100$ and is a very capable CPU when it comes to gaming and the i3-4370 you're talking about will only ever so slighlty outperform it that it's not worth the extra $$

If the user has some more to spend, then the i5-4440/4460 is the next step-up to recommend...not an expensive core i3.

Cheap i3s suck for gaming generaly, except in games running on out dated engines who need single core performance like Arma 3, SC2 etc

he said AMD and wants four cores. yes, an i3 has HT but it's still two cores.

6350 is a faster 6300 and a six core. that should work better than FN2/4xxx cpu

The i3 has 4 threads, and it outperforms an FX8 in the vast majority of games.

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

Cheap i3s suck for gaming generaly, except in games running on out dated engines who need single core performance like Arma 3, SC2 etc

is it? here's a video from my personal collection:

No, they don't.  Do some more research.  They routinely outperform FX8s and come very close to i5s when paired with a high end GPU.

No, they don't.  Do some more research.  They routinely outperform FX8s and come very close to i5s when paired with a high end GPU.

he still cant understand that no game fully uses 8 cores and AMD octa core CPUs are stuck with 4 cores only being used optimaly...

The i3 has 4 threads, and it outperforms an FX8 in the vast majority of games.

four threads isn't 2cores, yes it's still good, but he wants AMD/4cores. think about it as the customer is always right. he said what he wanted and what is the best in what he asked for. he didn't ask for better

Guys, let keep it nice plz. I honestly wouldn't mind getting an Intel CPU but sice an i3 only has 2 cores I prefer going for AMD since I tend to run Skype and some music while I'm gaming.

Calling me a troll when he still cant understand that no game fully uses 8 cores and AMD octa core CPUs are stuck with 4 cores only being used optimaly...

When have I ever said that games use all 8 cores?  I'm saying they DONT.  You're the one saying an i3 is bad, when it actually really good, about 85% the performance of an i5 when paired with a high end GPU.

You're the one who was just last week saying that FX8 is the best thing since sliced bread.  Do some research.

four threads isn't 2cores, yes it's still good, but he wants AMD/4cores. think about it as the customer is always right. he said what he wanted and what is the best in what he asked for. he didn't ask for better

He wants it for gaming.  I don't care if he wants AMD.  AMD is the wrong choice for gaming in 2015.  An i3 outperforms any FX processor when it comes to gaming.  Customer is not always right.  I am trying to help you, you aren't.

Guys, let keep it nice plz. I honestly wouldn't mind getting an Intel CPU but sice an i3 only has 2 cores I prefer going for AMD since I tend to run Skype and some music while I'm gaming.

An i3 will do all of that much better than an AMD processor.  You have to get past the 2 cores thing.  It is 4 threads.  It performs 85% as good as an i5, at a much lower cost.  You also set yourself up for future upgrades.

You're daft.  When have I ever said that games use all 8 cores?  I'm saying they DONT.  You're the one saying an i3 is bad, when it actually really good, about 85% the performance of an i5 when paired with a high end GPU.

You're the one who was just last week saying that FX8 is the best thing since sliced bread.  Do some research.  Tired of peddling to you clueless people who can't read a benchmark to save your life.

I never said the i3 was bad, I even said it's good. I'm just saying he wants four cores/amd and under that, an 6350 would be the best choice when not overclocking and when not picking an i3

I didn't say I was going for an FX processor and I'm also nog going for a high end GPU.

An i3 will do all of that much better than an AMD processor.  You have to get past the 2 cores thing.  It is 4 threads.  It performs 85% as good as an i5, at a much lower cost.  You also set yourself up for future upgrades.

If he wants an AMD processor, he can have an AMD processor

Green With Envy

A build based on a children's cartoon