Asus PG278Q vs Asus PB287Q

monjanger

I am deciding between the Asus PG278Q vs Asus PB287Q. The PG278Q is 1440P and has 144 HZ refresh rate while the Asus PB287Q is 4K, a 60HZ refresh rate and a HDMI input. I am leaning towards the Asus PB287Q because of its higher resolution and HDMI input which will allow me to play on my Xbox as well. Also, I don't expect to get to 60FPS in 4K which is ok. I am considering the PG278Q because it is capable of G-Sync which I have heard is fantastic and is great for 4K. Also, my build will likely not be able to power a 4K monitor at higher frames because I will be using the GTX 980 and upgrade to SLI in the future. My big question is will 4K downscaled to 1440P look like true 1440P such as the Asus PG278Q?

It won't look like native 1440p but in my experience it's hard to tell the difference on a 4K monitor anyway, 1440p still looked perfectly sharp to me ingame.

I am going to go to a store and try to see if 4K is better then 1440P and has a noticeable difference. 

I have the 278Q, right in front of me, I think I noticed somewhat more a difference in 22MP55 (LG) - off to the side (but being used) then the 278Q in front of me now.

OP is talking about the PG not the PB, as in the 144hz one not the 60hz one. 

Spoiler

i5 4670k, GTX 970, 12GB 1600, 120GB SSD, 240GB SDD, 1TB HDD, CM Storm Quickfire TK, G502, VG248QE, ATH M40x, Fractal R4

Spoiler

i5 4278U, Intel Iris Graphics, 8GB 1600, 128GB SSD, 2560x1600 IPS display, Mid-2014 Model

Spoiler

All the parts are here, just need to get customized cords to connect the motherboard to the front panel.

I have the 278Q, right in front of me, I think I noticed somewhat more a difference in 22MP55 (LG) - off to the side (but being used) then the 278Q in front of me now.

PG278Q

PB278Q

PB287Q

All VERY different monitors, clarify which one you're using? :P

It won't look like native 1440p but in my experience it's hard to tell the difference on a 4K monitor anyway, 1440p still looked perfectly sharp to me ingame.

Is 4K worth it? Its harder to power and I have heard and you have said that there isn't much of a difference when using a monitor.

The PB series is an IPS panel. Is the PG TN? It would make sense as a gaming panel for it to be. If so, I'd always go for the IPS over the TN I don't care the difference in refresh/frame rates.

Sir William of Orange: Corsair 230T - Rebel Orange, 4690K, GA-97X SOC, 16gb Dom Plats 1866C9,  2 MX100 256gb, Seagate 2tb Desktop, EVGA Supernova 750-G2, Be Quiet! Dark Rock 3, DK 9008 keyboard, Pioneer BR drive. Yeah, on board graphics - deal with it!

Is 4K worth it? Its harder to power and I have heard and you have said that there isn't much of a difference when using a monitor.

What I was saying was 1440p displayed on a 4K monitor doesn't look much different from a real 1440p monitor.

4K is really nice when software supports scaling properly, such as on a Mac. Everything is a lot sharper. With Windows, I'm not all that big on it right now.

The PB series is an IPS panel. Is the PG TN? It would make sense as a gaming panel for it to be. If so, I'd always go for the IPS over the TN I don't care the difference in refresh/frame rates.

The PG278Q is TN 1440p

The PB287Q is TN 4K

The PB278Q is IPS 1440p (not mentioned in the OP)

What I was saying was 1440p displayed on a 4K monitor doesn't look much different from a real 1440p monitor.

4K is really nice when software supports scaling properly, such as on a Mac. Everything is a lot sharper. With Windows, I'm not all that big on it right now.

Will scaling be resolved soon?

Hopefully when Windows 10 officially drops.

CPU Intel i7 5930k - Motherboard Asus X99 Deluxe - RAM Kingston DDR4 32GB - GPU nVidia GeForce GTX980 3way SLI - Case NZXT H440 – Samsung XP941 m.2, Samsung 850 Pro, WD Black, WD Red - PSU Corsair Ax1200i

Hopefully when Windows 10 officially drops.

I hope. I will be downscaling from 4K to 1440P until it is fixed.

I'm definitely not going back from 4k. Everything is super sharp. If you're concerned about frame rates dropping below 60fps, you can check out the Acer 4k gsync panel. The colors on the pb287q are slightly better but the gaming experience on gsync is much better.

CPU: Intel i7 4770k 4.3ghz MOBO: Asus Z87 Sabertooth RAM: 2x8GB RipJaws 1866mhz GPU: 2x GTX780ti SLI 1.2ghz SSD: 960GB 2x Intel 730 RAID0 CASE: Fractal Design Define S COOLING: Custom EK watercooling loop

I would highly NOT getting the PB287Q. Get another 4K monitor, preferably Dell 4K IPS ones which are similarly priced.

I have the PB287Q at work, and it isn't good. Colors are meh, on screen navigation is a serious pane Short view angles of the TN pnael makes text sharpness vary based on your head position. If your head is at the center, then the top left will make text more bold looking, and bottom right, more thin looking.

It also have sever back light bleeding, affecting colors, at the top and bottom of the monitor (typical from an average TN panel monitor)

Upscaling is always going to look worse... If you can't run a 4k monitor, don't get one...

If you have a 1080p monitor, play a full screen 720p video... it'll look like shit. Yet that same video would look great on a 720p screen...

The upscaling affect would be less going from 1440p to 4k, but it'd still be there and make your 1440p image blurry-er than it would be on a 1440p screen...

If you just want it for G-sync, then go for it with the understanding that the 1440p image wont be as detailed as it'd be on a native 1440p screen.

But don't get a 4k screen until your comp can run it comfortably at high settings above 60 fps...

(high setting 1440p >>>>> low setting 4k)

Lowering your detail settings is most definitely going to make more of a difference than upping your resolution when talking about 1440p vs 4k ( so your image will look worse overall when running 4k on low...)

why get a resolution capable of showing more detail when you have to turn the detail settings down anyways??

Current System Specs:

MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Ultra Gaming     CPU: Intel i5 9600k      GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 ti FTW Ultra Silent    PSU: EVGA 750 G2 80+ gold

Ram:  16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4-3200    Storage: 500 GB Samsung 970 EVO/ 4TB WD Blue Case: Corsair 275R-White

I can recommend the PB287Q. As for gsync, I'd wait. It's ludicrously expensive and chances are it will get much cheaper once freesync truly hits the market.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

I need some help in this topic, i´m thinking of buying 3 monitors. In my build there will be 4 GTX 980 (EVGA). And I was thinking between the Asus PG278Q for gaming at 144Hz and 2560x1440 or the Asus PB287Q for 4K Gaming at 60Hz. What would you take if you had to choose?

PD: I´m not looking for a choice between those 2 monitors, you can tell me to buy another monitor which I didn´t mentioned

I need some help in this topic, i´m thinking of buying 3 monitors. In my build there will be 4 GTX 980 (EVGA). And I was thinking between the Asus PG278Q for gaming at 144Hz and 2560x1440 or the Asus PB287Q for 4K Gaming at 60Hz. What would you take if you had to choose?

PD: I´m not looking for a choice between those 2 monitors, you can tell me to buy another monitor which I didn´t mentioned

Umm....4 980 SLI? Super overkill and right now will run you over $2k alone.

And that depends, do you want to game at 1440p or 4k? I think it'll be about 2 more generations before 4k is closer to mainstream for everyone but if you want to then go for it.

Also, surround displays depend on what you play. If it's FPS I only recommend 1 monitor, sims like racing or Star Citizen coming soon then surround is going to be epic. Although I don't think this is a problem since you can turn off the surround feature in Nvidia control panel and they will act like 3 separate screens. Also, according to their website, if you wanted to go with a PG278Q in the center for G Sync usage, you could, and 2 others on the outside that aren't G Sync would still work, but would be behind unless they were also 144Hz.

Mainframe:// SIVA

• CPU Ryzen 7 3700x
  • Motherboard Asus Crosshair VII Hero (Wi-Fi)
  • RAM G.Skill Trident Z Royal (Silver) 3600Mhz 16Gb
  • GPU MSI GeForce GTX 980Ti Gaming 6G
  • Case Lian-Li PC-O11 Dynamic Razer Edition
  • Storage Samsung 970 Evo 500GB / 1x WD Black 3TB
  • PSU EVGA Supernova 1000x
  • Cooling Corsair H150i Pro
  • Displays Acer Predator x34 Ultrawide, LG 2558UM-P
  • Audio Schitt Audio Asgard 2 AMP, Bifrost Multibit DAC, Sennheiser HD600, Scarlett Focusrite 2i2, Audio Technica AT2035
  • Peripherals Corsair K70 LUX, Logitech G502 Spectrum, Razer Orbweaver, Thrustmaster T16000m x2 HOTAS
  • Extra Stuff Clutch Chairs Gear Series Elgato HD60 Pro, Elgato Streamdeck, Logitech c920 Webcam, Custom Built acoustic altering backboard.