Good smartphone or decent smartphone + smartwatch

Aniallation

Selling my current phone to a friend as he broke his (not losing any money so w/e) and trying to come up with something to use as a daily driver right now. I have around, $240-ish CAD to spend. For that money I can either get:

1. The same phone again (Galaxy Avant) or something similar like Moto G, S3, Xperia Z, Nexus 4, etc. plus a smartwatch like Pebble (or Galaxy Gear if Samsung, I don't mind charging a watch every night)

2. A better phone but no smartwatch, it would be something like an Xperia Z1, S4, etc. 

I don't do much intensive things on my phone. It's mostly just listening to music, texting, social networking, and maybe some casual games (Flappy Bird) to pass the time. 

Any suggestions? Please leave a reasoning for your vote!

"Rawr XD"

I mean, you said it yourself. All you do on your phone is light work, stuff that a Snapdragon 400 can easily take. I'd just get the smartwatch and decent phone.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

Moto G(2nd Gen) and a smartwatch hands down...

"You can get more of what you want with a kind word and a gun than you can with just a kind word." -- Al Capone.

Moto G(2nd Gen) and a smartwatch hands down...

Not sure if I'll be able to get a 2nd gen. But first gen wouldn't be a big deal to me for a ~100 dollar phone.

"Rawr XD"

Not sure if I'll be able to get a 2nd gen. But first gen wouldn't be a big deal to me for a ~100 dollar phone.

You can't go wrong with a Nexus 4. Plus, with 240$, you won't be able to get a better enough smartphone that would be worth droping the pebble for.

The only thing with the N4 though is the horrible battery life. 

Alternatives would be an Elephone P2000 as it has extremely good specs for the dollar + a decent battery. You could also shop for a used Xiaomi or something (be sure to check carrier compatibility though)

You can't go wrong with a Nexus 4. Plus, with 240$, you won't be able to get a better enough smartphone that would be worth droping the pebble for.

The only thing with the N4 though is the horrible battery life. 

Alternatives would be an Elephone P2000 as it has extremely good specs for the dollar + a decent battery. You could also shop for a used Xiaomi or something (be sure to check carrier compatibility though)

Yeah I can't get Chinese phones as they won't work with my carrier. I use Wind which requires AWS HPSA+ network. I am looking into getting a Nexus 4, I don't mind charging my phone every night since no phone I've ever had comfortably gets me through two days of usage anyways.

"Rawr XD"

Yeah I can't get Chinese phones as they won't work with my carrier. I use Wind which requires AWS HPSA+ network. I am looking into getting a Nexus 4, I don't mind charging my phone every night since no phone I've ever had comfortably gets me through two days of usage anyways.

then the Nexus 4 would be your best bet. I personally loved mine <3 the only reason I switched was the lackluster battery and the shortage of storage ( I have 11gb of music :/)

I would consider the Nexus 4 with the Pebble if you're all right with 16GB. If you mod or deal with custom ROMs, you will run out of memory fast.

I currently run the Nexus 5 with the Pebble and I can't leave the house without 'em. Still wish I had my Nexus 4, though, I enjoyed its build far over my N5's.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

I would just get a better phone

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

I would go for a better phone, it'll last you longer and you can get a smartwatch at a later point, I don't really think they're suitable at the moment, too many issues, with display burn in *cough* moto 360 *cough* too short battery life or not enough functionality (or too much, if you look at some of samsungs offerings). Wait on the smartwatches for the next gen devices at least, that's when you'll start to see better performance and increased functionality from them, although if you really want a smartwatch now the pebble or asus zenwatch would be my choices to go for.

PCs

Spoiler
Spoiler

Branwen (2015 build) - CPU: i7 4790K GPU:EVGA GTX 1070 SC PSU: XFX XTR 650W RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX fury Motherboard: MSI Z87 MPower MAX AC SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB + Crucial MX300 1TB  Case: Silverstone RV05 Cooler: Corsair H80i V2 Displays: AOC AGON AG241QG & BenQ BL2420PT Build log: link 

Spoiler

Netrunner (2020 build) - CPU: AMD R7 3700X GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 (from 2015 build) PSU: Corsair SF600 platinum RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix RGB 3600Mhz cl16 Motherboard: Gigabyte Aorus X570i pro wifi SSD: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB Case: Lian Li TU150W black Cooler: Be Quiet! Dark Rock Slim

I would go for a better phone, it'll last you longer and you can get a smartwatch at a later point, I don't really think they're suitable at the moment, too many issues, with display burn in *cough* moto 360 *cough* too short battery life or not enough functionality (or too much, if you look at some of samsungs offerings). Wait on the smartwatches for the next gen devices at least, that's when you'll start to see better performance and increased functionality from them, although if you really want a smartwatch now the pebble or asus zenwatch would be my choices to go for.

I agree with this, get a better phone now and get a smartwatch later. 

then the Nexus 4 would be your best bet. I personally loved mine <3 the only reason I switched was the lackluster battery and the shortage of storage ( I have 11gb of music :/)

I would consider the Nexus 4 with the Pebble if you're all right with 16GB. If you mod or deal with custom ROMs, you will run out of memory fast.

How bad was the battery life on yours? 

16GB shouldn't be that big of a deal for me. I'm most likely just going to slap CM11 on it cause I don't like Lollipop so not a big deal in the ROM department. I currently have a lot of music but taking into consideration that I don't even listen to 90% of the music I have stored locally I'm just going to start using Spotify a lot more anyways.

"Rawr XD"

I agree with this, get a better phone now and get a smartwatch later. 

lol then yeah I'll wait a bit longer to see how well smartwatches do.

I'm looking to get a decent smartphone and an SSD instead, cause having a green boot drive sucks

"Rawr XD"

I could get through the day (7a.m to 12p.m) with (very) light use. Any gaming/flac listening and I had to find somewhere to plug in before the end of the day.

Still manageable but far from ideal. tbh, it didn't bother me much at the time but now that Ì have my Oneplus One, I don't see how I'd ever go back to charging every day

Running KitKat, it ran me through the entire day. If I knew I'd be in a situation where I'd use my phone more than average, e.g. I'd watch a lot of YouTube, I'd bring a power bank.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.