NVIDIA to Restore Overclocking on Mobile GPUs

qwertywarrior

Straw man comparison. Go take an informal logic course and come back when you can argue like an adult.

No, it cannot. You can't exactly maintain your battery.

You dont know what a straw man is if you think that was a straw man comparison.

It goes like this :

One person burns a mobile gpu -> lets ban mobile GPU overclocking.

One person stabs another with scissors -> lets ban scissors.

Nothing straw man here.

Who talked about battery , I have my laptop plugged into the wall and some people use it as a desktop when they get home because

they dont have money for a laptop and a desktop.

You dont know what a straw man is if you think that was a straw man comparison.

It goes like this :

One person burns a mobile gpu -> lets ban mobile GPU overclocking.

One person stabs another with scissors -> lets ban scissors.

Nothing straw man here.

Who talked about battery , I have my laptop plugged into the wall and some people use it as a desktop when they get home because

they dont have money for a laptop and a desktop.

One hundred people set their mobile devices on fire or kill their chips by overclocking. RMAs ensue, tying up OEM hands with fraudulent claims and costing them money. Solution: enforce equipment being reserved to verified operating conditions to eliminate this avenue of creating fraudulent RMA claims. There go the possible lawsuits or fraudulent RMAs, and 99% of the performance is still there with GPU boost 2.0.

You're using a straw man by oversimplifying a very nuanced argument.

I have committed no ad hominem. I requested you gain some maturity before continuing this argument. Now, had I called you outright stupid or immature, that would be ad hominem, but that's not what I did, and not what I am doing.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

Without enough cooling and headroom overclocking a GPU in a laptop is silly i guess. i don't even get the point whey gaming laptops exist .

CPU: i7 4790K | Ram:Corsair Vengeance 8GB | GPU: Asus R9 270 | Cooling :Corsair H100i | Storage : Intel SSD, Seagate HDDs | PSU : Corsair VS 550 | Case: CM HAF Advanced.

Without enough cooling and headroom overclocking a GPU in a laptop is silly i guess. i don't even get the point whey gaming laptops exist .

They exist to play games on a laptop.

It's that simple.

They exist to play games on a laptop.

It's that simple.

LOL . yeah i got it .:D

CPU: i7 4790K | Ram:Corsair Vengeance 8GB | GPU: Asus R9 270 | Cooling :Corsair H100i | Storage : Intel SSD, Seagate HDDs | PSU : Corsair VS 550 | Case: CM HAF Advanced.

Overclocking on mobile GPUs is silly, there isn't enough thermal headroom to even achieve a significant overclock.

You are a silly person for thinking that I have Y500 with a single 650M stock at 835 core and 2000 memory with boost after OC I have 1100 core and 2500 memory and max temp of 65C on GPU and 75C on CPU this is not 5% or 10% OC but a lot more so trust me it is possible and its worth it. My Laptop is 2 years old and counting OC from day one and never had a problem with it. Of course its sitting on a laptop cooler and when I'm out at my mates I run it at stock speeds so I can play on my laps. I do have custom BIOS so last drivers update didn't block OC for my but I still feel pain of people with good machines that are looking to get extra performance from there babies.

Looks like although Nvidia may bring back overclocking support in their drivers that they are now shipping MXM cards with it disabled in the vBIOS, not really an issue for people who are overclocking because we usually use a custom vBIOS anyway.

Source: http://forum.techinferno.com/general-notebook-discussions/8998-nvidia-officially-states-they-cut-overclocking-mobile-gpus-12.html#post124474